It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Russia Seriously Considering Sending 40,000 Troops To Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Russia has no plans to send troops to Iraq or Afghanistan

www.hindustantimes.com...

Q

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
Russia has no plans to send troops to Afghanistan

Aiee!
I would certainly hope not. Simply put, the Russians would be most unwelcome in Afghanistan. I couldn't see the Russian public backing that, either. Iraq, possibly. US and Russia are more or less 'on the same page' in many security aspects.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Q]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q

Originally posted by deeprivergal
Russia has no plans to send troops to Afghanistan

Aiee!
I would certainly hope not. Simply put, the Russians would be most unwelcome in Afghanistan. I couldn't see the Russian public backing that, either. Iraq, possibly. US and Russia are more or less 'on the same page' in many security aspects.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Q]

I don't suppose you know that our SpN troops (SOF) were there (in Afgan) since the late 90's, providing the Northern Alliance troops with weapons, training, and intelligence 24/7.

And about the Iraq, I seriously doubt it, that we are going to send our troops there. Over 80% of people would be against it.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by kaskad]

Q

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Really, kaskad? I had no idea Spetsnaz were involved with the northern alliance. That is good to hear, however. I only said what I did because of the strained Afghan-Russian relations stemming from that whole ugly mess there in the 80's. Guess I never stopped to think that the northern alliance were fighting the same crazies that your boys, and later ours, were/are. Kind of ironic that we all find ourselves on the same side in the end, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q
I only said what I did because of the strained Afghan-Russian relations stemming from that whole ugly mess there in the 80's.

Ah yes, during which the Taliban was being financed and trained by the USA and considered a 'stabilizing force'.
This was because the Soviets had invaded Afghanistan, bombed extensively, sent in thousands of soldiers and established a puppet government.

Sounds familiar?

[edit on 23-7-2004 by shanti23]

Q

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Ah, yes. Glad you picked up on that. Much like a child coming to the realization that when a spoon is pushed off of the high-chair tray, it will indeed fall to the ground every time. Bra-vo. What part of 'ugly mess' did you misinterpret, so that I may be clearer next time?

Mistakes were made back then, by both sides. This is now, and things have changed. Both the US and Russia are quite clear this time on exactly who the bad guys are, and have worked together extensively with Afghan patriots to return control to the people.

Rather than being 'puppet governments', the current administrations of both Iraq and Afghanistan are on their way to free, unfettered, democratic elections. Understandably, this makes a lot of people in those countries upset, as it would negate their dreams of regaining power (as unlikely as that may be). If you doubt the sincerity of these people or their governments, please ask an opinion from those whose family members have been killed for the 'heinous crime' of being in posession of a voter ID card.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join