It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation fears spark panic buying, evacuations in Tokyo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Radiation fears spark panic buying, evacuations in Tokyo

news.asiaone.com

Panic swept Tokyo on Tuesday after a rise in radioactive levels around an earthquake-hit nuclear power plant north of the city, causing some residents to leave the capital and others to stock up on food and supplies.

Several embassies advised staff and citizens to leave affected areas, tourists cut short vacations and multinational companies either urged staff to leave or said they were considering plans to move outside Tokyo.

In one sign of the panic, Don Quixote, a multistorey, 24-hour general store in Tokyo's Roppongi district, was sold out of radios, torches, candles, fuel cans and
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The radiation has spread, only 8 hours earlier Tokyo was business a usual, now this report of panic buying and folks fleeing.

I just checked the only news station broadcasting live here (CNBC) and they said that the radioactive winds would arrive in a few hours, however if you check the linked thread below, at Camp Zama, 25 miles SW of Tokyo, an ATS member is reporting that they are already registering higher radiation levels.

news.asiaone.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Radiation leaked from a crippled nuclear plant in tsunami-ravaged northeastern Japan after a third reactor was rocked by an explosion Tuesday and a fourth caught fire in a dramatic escalation of the 4-day-old catastrophe. The government warned anyone nearby to stay indoors to avoid exposure. Tokyo reported slightly elevated radiation levels but officials said the increase was too small to threaten anyone in the capital. In a nationally televised statement, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said radiation has spread from four reactors of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in Fukushima province, one of the hardest-hit in Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the ensuing tsunami that has killed more than 10,000 people.

Source
Click on Event Description

edit on 15-3-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I bet officials there knew this was coming and kept it under wraps
as long as they could , how shameful if true.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Could this truly be it?

I do believe this is going to be the straw that broke the camels back for our world economy.

We are as a globe at full tilt now

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
If markets drop, my feeling is that Israel will start to somehow lead with electronic money, since they own all the banks.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Theres been a run on Potassium Ionide too in the US.

online.wsj.com...

And BC too

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...
edit on 15-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
if the Nikei is abandoned and crashes,
won't the NYSE follow suit ???

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

possible ..but Japan already injected 70 bilions yesterday and planning 100 bilions today to prevent the total crash of Nikkei

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Not likely, but Japan will be available at bargain prices!

Chances are greater though that they will close the exchange or halt trading for a period if its value moves to far south too rapidly.

Judging by the tone and content of the mainstream news this morning principally CNN's web site I would say the fix is currently on to down play the severity of the situation to an even greater extent than has been done already.

A no fly zone has been imposed in and around the reactor so independent non-government sources will no longer be getting any first hand visuals of the scene from the air, the evacuation zone has been extended from 20 to 30 kilometers, so its possible we are headed towards the "Soviet Style" information management from the disaster area.

That will leave bloggers with their own radiation detectors trying to compete with News Sources who say "No big deal it's only like going through an X-Ray scanner 23 times in a row on a Sunday while covered in vegetable oil". Which of course is probably not only healthy but fun!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I live in Yokohama, right next to Tokyo.
Just felt quite big quake, but as far as i can see
there are no mass evacuation. People are stocking up
so there are shortage of things like gas and milk
but surprisingly there are no panic. Everybody is extremely
concerned about Fukushima plant but it's pretty much
work as usual in Tokyo for most of the people.
Amazing isn't it.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I am paying close attention to this because it is a great lesson in what will happen here in the U.S. where I live when TSHTF.

I am glad that I have ALREADY stocked BEFORE the SHTF. Remember this folks!!!!
Stocking up AFTER the SHTF is a fools gamble. The food and supplies may not, and probably won't be there.
Do IT NOW!!!
and I mean.....RIGHT NOW!!!

How serious am I??
I have already been stocking up on several months worth of food and supplies for the past couple of years, very casually.
I am now selling my motorcycle,skipping my car payment, and selling all of my music/band equipment that I hold so dear, in order to raise funds to stock up more. It is THAT serious.........to me!
Selling posessions that I really enjoy and took me years to earn and accumulate isn't fun and some might call it paranoid. But, as the old saying goes....."just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there is no one out to get you".

Pay close attention to Japan situation, it will be us soon enough.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Well..it seems you are not alone in stocking up on any kind of supplies. People here are doing the same thing. My daughter and her husband have been doing it for awhile now. (My uncle has two rooms full!!!! ) My daughter and hubby cleaned out a huge closet to fill with items that would be necessary if things get bad. I have not done any of that.., if it happens, then I will just go use and munch up their supplies. :>)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

Where is Here??

You have a very forgiving family if they are going to let you "much up their supplies".

As far as my extended family goes. I am helping them.....right now.
I have warned them and begged them to prepare.
I have told them WHY they need to prepare.
I have told them what to stock up on.
I have shown them examples of things that could happen and what happens to people when The SHTF!

THAT WAS MY HELP!!!!

When people come knocking on my door asking why I won't help them I will say....."I DID"
"you just didn't want it".
So my suggestion is to take the help being offered on these boards and forums.
Take it upon yourself to take care of....YOURSELF!

You are being helped RIGHT NOW!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ammonite

It seems like a lot of people can't go somewhere else or they just simply are going to wait until the end to see what happens. good luck to you mate, take care of yourself

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I am paying close attention to this because it is a great lesson in what will happen here in the U.S. where I live when TSHTF.

I am glad that I have ALREADY stocked BEFORE the SHTF. Remember this folks!!!!
Stocking up AFTER the SHTF is a fools gamble. The food and supplies may not, and probably won't be there.
Do IT NOW!!!
and I mean.....RIGHT NOW!!!

How serious am I??
I have already been stocking up on several months worth of food and supplies for the past couple of years, very casually.
I am now selling my motorcycle,skipping my car payment, and selling all of my music/band equipment that I hold so dear, in order to raise funds to stock up more. It is THAT serious.........to me!
Selling posessions that I really enjoy and took me years to earn and accumulate isn't fun and some might call it paranoid. But, as the old saying goes....."just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there is no one out to get you".

Pay close attention to Japan situation, it will be us soon enough.

Where are you living-SCREWED ??

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
it is a great lesson in what will happen here in the U.S. where I live when TSHTF.

Do not want to be nasty but.. Japanese civilisation is different of any other civilisation on Earth. They got a very strong sense of honour and discipline. The US SHTF scenario is more likely to be similar with the following video:

Ps: Europe is only slightly better, I do not want to criticise the US population, just want to make an observation about the Japanese one being an exception.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Fox was downplaying the economic fallout too. I'm sure the fed will toss a couple hundred billion their way if need be. Why not just fire up a few more printers. I think the folks in Japan are just in it and have to do what they can to survive. Can't evacuate an island with that many people. The cloud is being pushed southwest it sounds like which is good for the US but very bad for them. I read last night Phillipines were getting ready too. They are not telling folks what is really going on to avert mass panic. It will happen at some point though.
edit on 15-3-2011 by HoldTheBeans because: Meant billion lol

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Well.. since I am ancient..I am doing what I can for my self, but stocking up with items that are necessary for survival on a large scale, I have not done any of that. Some food items and first aid and some herbs but that is all! Not much. And.. as far as funds go that is not possible to stock up with all the items my daughter and son- in- law are doing. They are not so young either. So for the statement I will go use their supplies. That is if I could get there in the first place, if things ever get that bad.
Sorry '''didnot mean to offend you.
edit on 15-3-2011 by ellieN because: added to clarify

Add on.. And yes.. both of my daughters have both said to get to their house as quick as possible if anything serious happens. And they are very forgiving....
edit on 15-3-2011 by ellieN because: add on...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The radiation threat is real....a family member of mine contracted radiation poisoning while on a US Naval ship that was one of the first responders after the Tsunami. Here is a link to a thread that i started....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join