It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. millionaires say $7 million not enough to be rich

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
How many Yachts can one water-ski behind?...

Dute that's what the Scarab is hitched on the back for, the Helicopter to get you well in land and the Rolls Royce if you need to tool about town.

Why is it the poor insist on being poor?

While it is true that true wealth is love and wisdom, it is also true that people have taken the advice to the other
side of the extreme and chose to be financially poor and complain about it.

Some people like others to take care of them.

Nothing wrong with that if you don't complain when responsibilities are not delegated to you!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Look,

I understand that many millionaires are small business owners who employ Americans. Hey, if you are keeping people working and paying them a good wage...then more power to them.

But regardless it's still silly to say you don't feel wealthy if you are worth that much money. I'm happy with what I have, it's not much but I can feed the kid and I have a roof over my head....in that I have incredible wealth.

But wealth in regards to "money" and "assets"..when you have millions it's silly to say you aren't wealthy.

I certainly hope the guy who is making 10 billion "doesn't feel wealthy" because the other guy is making 20 billion because that's absurd.
edit on 14-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I agree with them, if I was rich I don't think I'd just be happy with 7 million. I'd need at least 15 - 25 million to be satisfied. My parents have a ton of money (at least 5 million, plus their real estate stuff) and they are always complaining about how they don't have enough money to pay the bills and other stuff. They say having a million dollars won't get you far in life any more

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Look,

I understand that many of these millionaires are small business owners who employ Americans. Hey, if you are keeping people working and paying them a good wage...then more power to them.

But regardless it's still silly to say you don't feel wealthy if you are worth that much money. I'm happy with what I have, it's not much but I can feed the kid and I have a roof over my head....in that I have incredible wealth.

But wealth in regards to "money" and "assets"..when you have millions it's silly to say you aren't wealthy.

I certainly hope the guy who is making 10 billion "doesn't feel wealthy" because the other guy is making 20 billion because that's absurd.

Yes, it is absurd. But, on point again, your feelings are still the same as theirs towards those financially above them.

And I am positive they didn't research by asking every single 7mill'er out there. There are those out there who appreciate what they have. Don't let an article get to you so badly. It doesn't speak for everyone, regardless of the research results.

Not to mention, if you say you feel a certain way, does that mean that you don't already know that it isn't really right to feel that way? We get annoyed and angry at people for things they do that aren't necessarily wrong, but just rub us the wrong way sometimes. We have emotions...

This article is an attempt to divide the people financially instead of people allowing eachother to see eachother as equals. If we focused on peoples' feelings as a method of casting, then this world would be completely screwed!

Hence wisdom, love, and logic. Relax.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
it's really sad in my view that humans are so disgustingly greedy and selfish. Some people can get by happily on the bare minimum, while others feel they have to stamp on the other guy to feel powerful. I feel that living the simple life, and being content with your lot is worth more than all the gold in the world. I've dated a millionaire, and let me tell you, she was one depressed miserable person.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
I agree with them, if I was rich I don't think I'd just be happy with 7 million. I'd need at least 15 - 25 million to be satisfied. My parents have a ton of money (at least 5 million, plus their real estate stuff) and they are always complaining about how they don't have enough money to pay the bills and other stuff. They say having a million dollars won't get you far in life any more

A million today is about the same as having $100,000 about 30 years ago.

I am 27 years old.

My wife cashed in some bonds that her grandparents got her when she was a baby.

$200 worth at the time of her birth.

LOL... she got $258 today.

$258 today is like having $50 bucks back then. (she is 21)

They threw their money away!
edit on 3/14/2011 by TarzanBeta because: Add to my point.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Well, it's true. A million dollars is nothing these days. To be considered truly 'rich', requires at least a billion

But, as the old saying asks, how many shirts can you wear at one time ? How many plates can you eat from at one time ? How many cars can you drive at one time ... etc.

Not much point worrying about poverty-sticken millionaire/wannabee trillionaires, is there ? Not too many millionaires on ATS, I wouldn't expect. Not too many in the average street

And basically, don't millionaires still urinate and excrete and vomit and get gas ? Money can't even insulate them from the foibles of their own meat-suitcase. Even the foul Kissinger will eventually succumb to age, regardless of how many kid's organs he receives in the meantime. Same for Cheyney and Bush and Blair, etc. Money cannot and will not protect them from death, no matter how long they manage to postpone it

Can't take those millions with them after death, either. And before they die, they know they're despised by billions including their own kids, who're impatient for them to die and leave all those bank accounts there to be enjoyed by the younger generations

So what does it matter if some people have mere millions and others have a hundred times as much ? If it doesn't affect us personally, then it shouldn't concern us

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
They just want too keep thier tax breaks they seem to be getting lately, so we support thier spending habbits*

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This site seems to have a lot against people who work hard.
No wonder most conspiracy theorist are bums.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
They just want too keep thier tax breaks they seem to be getting lately, so we support thier spending habbits*

Gross generalization.

Not everyone with money is an idiot.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

I think the owners of this site might not agree with your statement.

And I don't think most conspiracy theorists are bums... I am curious how you came to that conclusion?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Prices of things were also much cheaper than today, so IMO that plays a huge part in it too.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

Numerous cases of wallet envy here lately.

It seems the poor, or lower class aren't motivated enough to improve their lives, so they want to bring everyone else down too.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well If they all will not feel content or happy until they can afford a 665 million dollar yacht en.wikipedia.org... Like roman Ibrahimovich (Russian Billionaire and onwer of Chelsea FC) Then I feel bad for them not angry or anything else. I got a rinky dink apartment, I stock shelves at at a Giant Eagle, and a hot girlfriend who thinks I spend to much time on ATS and you know what, I feel rich everyday when I get up.

edit on 14/3/11 by TrowaBarton because: Just a mess of a post.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I don't understand the hatred for people who have money in this thread. A lot of people have worked extremely hard to build wealth and you shouldn't assume they don't deserve it or that it was easy.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeasantRebellion
1st turning = strengthening civic order, emphasis on community. A high (think FDR policies leading to the fluorishing middle class of the 50's, that sort of thing).

1946-1962: After WW2 and Great Depression, Baby Boom generation, Golden Age of Capitalism, and drastic change in quality of life.

This period ended with the beginning of the Race Riots.

2nd turning = challenge to the high's love of institution, emphasis on spirituality. An awakening (think 60's, etc.)

1963-1979: Hippie movement, Anti-war movement, Cultural liberalism, and "free love".

This period ended with the beginning of Reaganomics.

3rd turning = people have had their fill of spirituality, emphasis on individual, waning interest in civic order. An unraveling (think 80's Reaganomics, etc.)

1980-1996: Rugged individualism, deregulation, extravagant capitalism, and "freedom".

This period ended with the beginning of all over social tensions.

4th turning = society is at odds with itself and the social fabric rips apart. A crisis (er, now).

1997-2013: 2 Middle East Wars, Great Recession, political turmoil, and great societal division.

This period will end much like the period between 1929 and 1945 ended, with something extremely bad happening which turns peoples morale very low and when we come out of it we come out better than we had been in 70 years.

I see these events occurring in 17 year periods.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I would venture to guess, based on Dr Stanley's Book, "The Millionaire Next Door", that many who would qualify for a net worth of a million dollars are not drooling in cash. From my recollection of the book, the average millionaire in America is in their fifties and all their money is tied up in a business that they have owned for at least 20 years. Most do not live in the pretentious neighborhoods or even drive the fanciest new cars. They will never reap the benefits of their net worth until the business is sold.

I have heard biggest market for $500 suits are for people who make less than $30,000/year. I know at least two people, who would qualify for the net worth; however, they are the most frugal people i know. My one friend with a farm, will never sell; and you will never see him living the glamorous lifestyle of a millionaire that most people dream of. Maybe, his kids will sell out, but that is another story.

So, yeah with fortunes lost/made overnight in these boom/bust scenarios of today; I imagine that most people who have been busting their ass to keep a business going against the odds of monopolizing corporate giants are quite tense, afraid, and do not feel like they are rich at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'd be able to survive the rest of my life with just 1/70 of one of their wealth.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
I don't understand the hatred for people who have money in this thread. A lot of people have worked extremely hard to build wealth and you shouldn't assume they don't deserve it or that it was easy.

What it boils down to is whether or not someone "deserves" to be sipping a martini on a luxury cruise with an extra $10 million horded up in a bank account doing nothing, while there are bound to be people suffering and struggling just to eat within the same area.

If someone feels they "deserve" to be able to do that, then I say that's not all they deserve.

Face it. This whole system of empowering some people over others, was invented by the people who were already in power over everyone else. This is an age-old problem with humanity and debating whether or not it's right is like debating whether or not you should let someone starve when you have extra food sitting around doing nothing.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HaveAnotherOneI consider 10 million the absolute bottom number to be considered F-U money.

Wow. I figure my level is only about $500,000. I guess I just find it a lot easier to say to others!

Mod Note : Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 16-3-2011 by xpert11 because: Mod Edit and note

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join