It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. millionaires say $7 million not enough to be rich

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LS650
Wow. I figure my level is only about $500,000.

Really?

I've been saying for free for years now.

I wonder what that means.
Mod Note : Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 16-3-2011 by xpert11 because: Mod Edit and note

edit on 16-3-2011 by xpert11 because: Edit quote

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You never can't have enough money and people who say other wise or talk about love and # being more important that money are just lying to themselves. Money is the single most important thing in todays (modern, western) world. It's a fact.
But 7 Million? With that much money you'd never have to work again if you properly invest it. Hell i guess 2 millions are enough to support some decades of good life if you invest wisely and make the most out of it. Of course then you won't have 30 cars and 20 houses around the world, but who needs that much # anyway?
Some people can't get enough money, want more and money and for what? To say "look, i'm so #ing rich'

I mean by any counts i'm a millionaire, i have over a million in my bank account...so what? It's not like i go on the street and say "look at me. i'm rich' but of course i like to have so much money and don't need to care for what i'm do. If i say "yeah, i invite my friends to a dinner at a nice restaurant because i want to have a fun time with them" i just do it. It's great i'm able to do that, it's great that i have money i can share with others, like me and my family did in 2004 after the Tsunami in Sri Lanka or now with Japan, after various trips there i made some friends, after the quake and the tsunamis i was deeply worried, i'm still scared about them and i want to help them so that they don't starve or whatever. For those purposes it's great to have money.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
"Never feel sorry for a millionaire. Anonymous" Forgot were I heard that line. But millionaires, billionaires, multi billionaires, they are all products of the system, that everybody plays. At least till the # hits the fan. But as for the shtf, the fun has just begun.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Disgusting... But not surprising from a society where vanity, greed and materialism are rampant...
Maybe one day they'll learn that there are more important things in life...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Prices of things were also much cheaper than today, so IMO that plays a huge part in it too.

Exactly.

Exactly.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

I prefer my to come with authority.

Besides, $500,000 isn't enough to buy your citizenship in a country that has no extradition treaty with the U.S. and be able to stay there.

That would take 8 figures easy

Mod Note : Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

OMG...I have wondered the same thing...like do they have prego and doritos in their cabinets? Maybe some hotdogs or what not in the fridge? They probably go out to eat or have meals brought in..though.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Does anybody WANT to have priorities that screwed up that $7million makes you feel like a "loser"? What kinda' freakin "black hole in your soul" mental illness is that kind of hell? It's an emotional disease.
edit on 14-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Well if you had 1 billion 2 years ago, and now you only have 7 million, you should feel like a loser.

And rightly so.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What can I say? If they don't want that measly 7 million, I would be happy to take it off their hands for them. Hell, that would change my life.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
You never can't have enough money and people who say other wise or talk about love and # being more important that money are just lying to themselves. Money is the single most important thing in todays (modern, western) world. It's a fact.

I'm sorry "Shadow Angel "
That entire statement depends on your core values..
as a "thousandaire" I know"for a fact ; money is NOT the most important thing in the world. How many of your friends are your friends because you throw great parties at the best restaurants?( You'll never know.) And not everybody who looks up as the Ferrari goes by thinks"man I'd like to be that person!" Some of us don't care what others wear or drive.
There are alot of good; hearty; life loving; self respecting people free from money love living below that "magical" million dollar line.
People with stories and struggles and hard won inner strengths.and if that means we are not included in "the crue" or "entourage" we are not losing any sleep over it either.

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
But 7 Million? With that much money you'd never have to work again if you properly invest it. Hell i guess 2 millions are enough to support some decades of good life if you invest wisely and make the most out of it. Of course then you won't have 30 cars and 20 houses around the world, but who needs that much # anyway?
Some people can't get enough money, want more and money and for what? To say "look, i'm so #ing rich'

I mean by any counts i'm a millionaire, i have over a million in my bank account...so what? It's not like i go on the street and say "look at me. i'm rich' but of course i like to have so much money and don't need to care for what i'm do. If i say "yeah, i invite my friends to a dinner at a nice restaurant because i want to have a fun time with them" i just do it. It's great i'm able to do that, it's great that i have money i can share with others, like me and my family did in 2004 after the Tsunami in Sri Lanka or now with Japan, after various trips there i made some friends, after the quake and the tsunamis i was deeply worried, i'm still scared about them and i want to help them so that they don't starve or whatever. For those purposes it's great to have money.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I have £4 in my bank and I don't have a job, nor am I entitled to any benefits. I get my student loan in a month's time and my food cupboards are running low.

My next option is to beg, borrow or steal. Hopefully the university may provide me with an emergency loan or something to tide me over until then, and i'm praying my bills don't come through too soon, otherwise i'm in the minus and then my bank will charge me £10 a day fee for being in the red.. I'm a victim of circumstance and bad planning and over-zealous bill companies, i'd be quite happy to see a £20.

So anyone moaning about $7 million needs a slap.

You aren't a victim....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I have an Uncle who owns a fortune 500 company and he is worth 65million right now. He told me that most people spend what they made. Never thought of it that way.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
For many, money becomes an addiction. They can never have enough.

$7Million? Not enough. I mean, once you've bought:

The pimped Escalade
The Ferrari
The Beachfront mansion
The country club membership
The golf club membership
The designer clothes, fixtures and fittings for the beachfront mansion

... there is not much left and certainly not enough for the essential yacht, to keep up with the other multi-millionaire neighbours!

I personally find the "lifestyles of the rich and famous" to be one endless display of excess and tackiness. No class, just tatseless displays of wealth and pointless spending, because they can! What I find even worse is the way these shallow people are held in such high esteem by the equally tacky press, who hang on their every word and must report everything they say, do, wear, don't wear...etc...etc...
Wealth cannot buy happiness. The trinkets it buys do not make one a better person and spending money on them just to project wealth is just so shallow and pathetic. But hey, that's just society today, where displays of wealth are encouraged. Remember the old saying, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
C'mon what's with the fuzzy BS stats that are way off the mark?
How hard is it to google? Once upon a time people had to look this stuff up in books, in libraries.

THE RICHEST 1 (ONE) PERCENT OF AMERICANS possess more wealth than
THE COMBINED WEALTH OF THE BOTTOM 90 (NINETY) PERCENT

Because the richest 1% prefer to associate almost exclusively with members of their own social and economic standing, few members of the bottom 90% of Americans have ever even met a millionaire let alone a billionaire.

Consequently if you belong to the bottom 90%, you can think of the wealth of the richest 1% as :
more wealth than the combined assets of every American you have ever met, plus all the assets of every American you would be likely to meet on a trip that took you through every single city and town in the nation!!

. source

North America

Percent of world population 5.17%
Percent of world net worth (PPP) 27.1

Africa

Percent of world population 10.66
Percent of world net worth (PPP) 1.52

source

1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000, and that the richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total. source

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day

Mod note : Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.

I once made a thread saying ino one deserves to earn over $200,000 a year in truth none of us even deserve close to that. I don't care how hard you work - someone in a 3rd world country works just as hard if not harder walking miles and carrying heavy weights while malnourished and dehydrated just to get water so their family can have something to make their rice soft enough to eat. Yes living costs are different - but you all know deep down (or you ought to) that we dont need half the **** we have - and if you deny this you are scum because you are on a computer right now. WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF LETTING THEM DIE. But it is like being on a life raft while Titanic is sinking - at the moment it is them or you - but we all know there is more than enough room in the life rafts for more - but we are scared of sinking ourselves.

edit on 16-3-2011 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by ziggy1706

OMG...I have wondered the same thing...like do they have prego and doritos in their cabinets? Maybe some hotdogs or what not in the fridge? They probably go out to eat or have meals brought in..though.

I don't know about most millionaires, but Warren Buffet, a billionaire, drinks Cherry Coke (around 5 cans a day) and eats cheeseburgers at McDonalds when available, he has a lifetime all you can eat card for McDonalds.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
7 million does kind of seem more like upper middle class and not "rich"

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Well, when some of them live in a house where one of the bathrooms is larger than my apartment. . .how could it be!?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think they're right. That's about the point where I'd start calling someone truly rich, because that's roughly where it becomes all but impossible for the upper-middle class wage earner to simply save their way into that type of wealth through decades of good investments and the power of compound interest.

At that point, its probably going to require a person to take on the additional risk of opening their own business. Considering that a lot of people lose their homes, their marriages and families...everything...in a failed business venture and get nothing but a hopeless mountain of debt for their trouble, I can't begrudge the ones that make it and end up with a few million dollars to show for it. I certainly don't think a person with $7 million to show for 30-40 years of hard work and high risk deserves to be punished in any way for their success.
edit on 15-3-2011 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join