It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else find Chop Sticks easier than a fork?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
After over 8 years in Asia, and back in Canada for 3 years now, I still find that chop sticks make a lot of sense for many foods.

Spaghetti, salads, table top BBQ's (yeah, still do this as in Korea) and a lot more.

When I went there, it took awhile but soon I found that I didn't want a fork for many things. It's so much easier to reach, pick up those last little bits that a stabbing fork won't and I actually have a lot of pairs in my kitchen that I will use even when my family looks at me strange.

Anyone else find this?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think the exact thing my friend
I can only think of very few foods I would prefer to use a fork on. I mean, its Asia, they come up with everything cool

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I like chop sticks for most things too

I like how it slows you down too- you don't sit there mindlessly shovelling food into your head with chop sticks, like you might if you're zoned out and eating with a fork.
edit on 14-3-2011 by MzMorbid because: Canada.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
i figured stabbing your food with a fork, opposed to trying to use two sticks to hold it for you, was easier.

maybe not as 'civilized', but i am pretty sure stabbing food is easier than balancing it with two sticks.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
i figured stabbing your food with a fork, opposed to trying to use two sticks to hold it for you, was easier.

maybe not as 'civilized', but i am pretty sure stabbing food is easier than balancing it with two sticks.

Yeah, "Stabbing" would be easier than "Balancing" except that you don't balance the food, you pick it up.

I can pick up a single pea or grain of rice before a person can stab it with a fork. Ever chase that last pea around a plate? Not with chop sticks! lol

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
I like chop sticks for most things too

I like how it slows you down too- you don't sit there mindlessly shovelling food into your head with chop sticks, like you might if you're zoned out and eating with a fork.
edit on 14-3-2011 by MzMorbid because: Canada.

Yes! Forgot to mention that! It seems that using the sticks lends itself to a more relaxed way of eating. Noticed that also.

When using a fork, the fork is always in your hand until finished. Maybe a knife in the other as well. I find that with chop sticks, I fall into the habit of eating a bite or two, resting the chop sticks on the table or plate, having a shot or chat and returning to the sticks.

Thanx for the reminder.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I always have the dilemma of what to do when you get a piece of food that is to big too eat in one bite, try clumsily to push it into pieces with the sticks? Or pick the whole thing up and bite it?

If someone could tell me the answer to this they would be solving a life long conundrum for me

The thought occurs that I probably should have asked someone about this before.
edit on 14-3-2011 by davespanners because: spells

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I've never been to any Asian country but I use chopsticks whenever I can when I eat Asian Cuisine (which I find the best of any other foods). I don't know if I could give up a fork or spoon entirely though. I'm a clumsy eater so picking up rice with two sticks is definitely something funny to observe.
I think a fork is a little more superior as a eating tool though. For example, if you have a steak in front of you or something else of that consistency you can still use a fork to cut it by turning it sideways and sawing at it. Don't see anyone doing that with a chopstick.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Yup, Asians usually just bite off a chunk. The other cool thing I learned is to use scissors instead of a knife.

Works so well with large pieces of meat, Kimchi, (Korea) and other things.

I now use scissors for my BBQ always. Grab the tongs, pick up that steak, cut a piece off with the scissors. Better than getting your hand too close to the flame!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

They use scissors for large pieces of meat. Tried it here with a steak and so easy!

Use the sticks, grab an end, cut off a piece with scissors and lift to your mouth.

Yeah, sounds funny but so easy!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well that's interesting

Is it acceptable to ask for scissors at an Asian restaurant?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by jude11

Well that's interesting

Is it acceptable to ask for scissors at an Asian restaurant?

Actually, in Asia it's very common when having a table BBQ for the waitress to leave a set or two on the table for you to use. No problem to ask for a set either.

Never thought about this in the West at an Asian restaurant tho. Since most times, the restaurant has westernized the menu, I don't know how this would work.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I don't mind eating with chopsticks, but only if the food is actually cut up in small enough pieces.

Personally though, I prefer a knife, fork and spoon....

I can get a grain of rice just as easily with a fork and knife as I can with chopsticks

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

On the subject of the spoon, there is one thing that I really didn't like too much in Korea but got used to it after awhile.

As a lot of dinners in a restaurant consist of some type of soup, there is usually a big wok style pot brought to the table with a burner to cook it with at the table.

The thing is, it is quite normal for everyone to dip their spoons into the communal pot in order to eat the soup. Sometimes, you take out the larger pieces of veggies and meat to put on a side plate but not always.

The other thing I had to get used to (never did completely) was that if a girl at the table wants to show her fondness for you, she will wrap up meats, veggies etc into a lettuce leaf and hand feed you. Guys sometimes do this for girls also. Cute but awkward sometimes.

They will also pick up a favored piece of the meat and bring it to your mouth to feed you. This usually elicits a "wooooo!!!" from the table guests as it is quite the intimate gesture.

Cool cultures over there. Brought back a Korean wife as my #1 souvenir...LOL

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The thing is, it is quite normal for everyone to dip their spoons into the communal pot in order to eat the soup. Sometimes, you take out the larger pieces of veggies and meat to put on a side plate but not always.

Yeah...no... I guess any kind of plague that hits that area is going to see a rapid spread, huh?

Although, I guess one could argue that if the soup is really boiling hot, you'll kill most germs. Still though, I don't want others' slobber in my food. No thanks.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I love chop sticks!!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Yes.. Even carry my own set of chopsticks with me when travel.. Am japanese been use them my entire life. Never could use western eating utensils find them awkward..
I use the more pointed chopsticks found in japan - not the blunt pointed ones used in other parts of asia.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Expat888 because: Tengu...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I have a collection as they come in various and beautiful forms. Some are so exquisite that they can only be seen as art!

Myself, I prefer the longer pairs with pointed ends. I got quite used to using the metal ones in Korea tho. Have some here in Canada. I have problems using the tear apart wooden sticks that come with your Chinese food take out. Short, thick and rough!

top topics

join