It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 Training

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I live close to Tyndall AFB which has a number of F-22s. Today on my way through the base (the road cuts directly through the center of the base) there were 2 F-22's doing some touch and gos. It is very common to see F-15s doing them but this was the first time I saw the 22. I can't describe how it looks in person, its just unbelievable. Looks like something from the future! Gave me chills!

BTW, is it common for them to test during the day? I figured that they would only take these planes out at night?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I don't know about training, but the F/A-22 test flight corridor that goes from Georgia through Tennessee is restricted to daylight hours only because they go supersonic during parts of the shakedown run. I still have not seen one, but people I know that live in the area hear the booms about three times a week.

I'm jealous of your chance to see some real training flights. Grab some video or photos if you can.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It must have been something to see them for real and doing combat maneuvers wish i had a road that ran through the middle of an air force base that had Raptors
They might let you see them but taking pictures of them or vids is a different story im willing to beat they might take the vids and pics for you if they catch you but try and get some

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by subcane
I live close to Tyndall AFB which has a number of F-22s. Today on my way through the base (the road cuts directly through the center of the base) there were 2 F-22's doing some touch and gos. It is very common to see F-15s doing them but this was the first time I saw the 22. I can't describe how it looks in person, its just unbelievable. Looks like something from the future! Gave me chills!

BTW, is it common for them to test during the day? I figured that they would only take these planes out at night?

Testing and training during the day is very common. The only planes that are restricted to Night flights are ones that are classified Top Secret or above and are considered Black Projects. Today, even the F-117 Nighthawk does part of it's training during the day time. Among planes as well known as the F-22, the only time they fly testing or training at night is if the spacific mission has to do with night combat op's (like testing FLIR).

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The F-22 is totally awesome to watch doing combat maneuvers.......what else maintains a 90 degree angle of attack??????? And mach 3 without afterburners?...........hell yeah....check my other posts I put up some Raptor photos......should ne in a post named photo share.......

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by age_ranger
And mach 3 without afterburners

No it cant go mach 3 even with after burner. The raptor at max goes mach 2, it has plenty of power to go faster but because of stelath ram requirements the titanium that would let it go that fast without melting could not be used.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
90 degrees AOA?? please.
No aircraft can sustain 90 deg. AOA...try appr. 67 degrees, thanks in part to the duckbilled thrust vectoring capabilities it has.

Mach 3 w/o AB?? please.
We're not talking the SR-71 here. The 22 can achieve Mach 1+ w/o afterburner, and sit in supercruise w/o AB....but to get beyond that speed, it will indeed need AB. And the day it goes Mach 3 I'm turning into Elvis and joining the circus.

I work at Tyndall, right along side the F22. They fly during the day all the time- perfectly normal for a fighter squadron to do this. They fly at night too- they're a training squadron, just like every other squadron at tyndall....so they fly according to the training mission at hand. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but damn- think before you babble.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Supercruise is Mach 1.4-1.5 at partial throttle, about Mach 1.71 at mil power and top speed (airframe limited) is Mach 2.1 approx. The aircraft has an overspeed warning as not to overstress itself by warning the pilot is going too fast. It's a function of speed versus altitude. Top speed is about 800-850 KEAS.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

The F-22 is totally awesome to watch doing combat maneuvers.......what else maintains a 90 degree angle of attack??????? And mach 3 without afterburners?...........hell yeah....check my other posts I put up some Raptor photos......should ne in a post named photo share.......

No got no clue of what you are talking about right?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Age ranger it seems is finding out what happes when one makes wild unfounded claims on ATS

BTW Russian, it's nice to see the restraint you have for your lovely Chech nieghbors

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hey Russian, why dont we send a couple of raptors over and help you guys out with your butt kicking your about to do over the chechyans. if they wre really being helped by al-qaeda do do such a barbaric action well back you up till everyone of them is gone.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by roniii259
Hey Russian, why dont we send a couple of raptors over and help you guys out with your butt kicking your about to do over the chechyans. if they wre really being helped by al-qaeda do do such a barbaric action well back you up till everyone of them is gone.

Uhh, don't go offering help you can't provide.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Who wants to help the Russians with Chechnya I don't. They did not help us in Iraq nor Afghanistan so I would not waste one cent of my tax dollars to help Russia with the terrorist they don't help us we let them suffer alone. Revenge sucks doesn't it Russian?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Who wants to help the Russians with Chechnya I don't. They did not help us in Iraq nor Afghanistan so I would not waste one cent of my tax dollars to help Russia with the terrorist they don't help us we let them suffer alone. Revenge sucks doesn't it Russian?

That will cause people to hate us even more. No point in doing that when we can just help and make everyone happy. What goes around comes around and lets not be the ones who get it.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I think your either with us or against us but saying your with us once you got a problem isnt the time. Bush offered for any country who was willing to join with us and wipe out terror. I am sorry folks your chances have expired you are on your own now......

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilovehaters
I think your either with us or against us but saying your with us once you got a problem isnt the time. Bush offered for any country who was willing to join with us and wipe out terror. I am sorry folks your chances have expired you are on your own now......

Bush promised to wipe out terror? I thought he promised us to get burnt petroleum.

There was no evidence that Saddam Hussein was tied to Al Queda and the terrorist attacks, and no Iragi death weapons were ever found.

We were on a wild goose chase and still are to find what isn't there.

When Bush leaves, so does the war in Iraq. Why do you think it did not work the first time around? Why would it work now?

The other countries were smart to stay out of this one, this would lead to mass disaster and we are at the head of the front.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hey, I was just passing on some information that I heard while in the hangar. I worked at Edwards AFB and was involved in alot of projects there including the F-22. It was printed in the base paper that the F-22 was maintaining over a 60 degree AOA but can't remember the specifics. Alot of things which are done during flight test and evaluation are not put into every day use. I saw plenty to know that alot is kept from the general population and know very well that aircraft specifications which are made public are WAAAAAY understated. I thought this was a post for discussions not putting people down because they're discussing things which were heard first hand. I can't tell you how many times I saw the F-22, B-2, JSF or UAV's pushing the limits. Alot of crashes, lots of overtime, and eyes open.....mouth shut. Disappointed with the inputs here.

EDITED.....just checked out the paper i saved...was 60+ degree angle of attack .. no mention of 90 degree...FYI

[edit on 12-9-2004 by age_ranger]

[edit on 12-9-2004 by age_ranger]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm actually with you 100% on this one Shattered, that is exactly right in hindsight, though I couldn't see it at the time when I beleive the war to be justified on the grounds put forward at the time, as opposed to the new grounds that have sprung up since.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Hey, I was just passing on some information that I heard while in the hangar. I worked at Edwards AFB and was involved in alot of projects there including the F-22. It was printed in the base paper that the F-22 was maintaining a 90 degree AOA. Alot of things which are done during flight test and evaluation are not put into every day use. I saw plenty to know that alot is kept from the general population and know very well that aircraft specifications which are made public are WAAAAAY understated. I thought this was a post for discussions not putting people down because they're discussing things which were heard first hand. I can't tell you how many times I saw the F-22, B-2, JSF or UAV's pushing the limits. Alot of crashes, lots of overtime, and eyes open.....mouth shut. Disappointed with the inputs here.

OK - I'll bite. What did you do?

When did you see a Raptor doing Mach 3 without afterburners? What were the conditions? How does the Raptor solve overheating issues with the RAM at such speeds?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
lol.....I never said I saw it doing Mach 3.....only that I heard some people talking about it in the hangar. It was widely talked about that it could easily attain these speeds. Then almost as fast as it came out, there was an official statement stating that it will do mach 2. . with supercruise. I think that the aircraft could probably achieve the higher speeds, but would effect the paint.....thus the lower reported speeds. They also list the F-117 and B-2 as high subsonic..... Statistics are always under-rated. The fact that there are no external stores help maintain a more stable flying platform.......I worked in the Aerospace Ground Equipment shop at Edwards for about 5 yrs., and Whiteman AFB for 3 yrs. .....I heard alot of things about all the aircraft..... things like a twin engine F-16 in dark-world at Edwards (never saw it, only heard of it), or a C-130 with forward firing rockets for short runway landings, lots of tests and projects....Helmet mounted HUD...the AIM-9X missile ...lots of cool things.. just wanting to partake of the conversations here. Not looking for arguments or to prove one someone wrong one way or another.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join