It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy/Moon experts - please explain - BIZZARE moon in Sydney last night. Two shadows

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
As i looked closer i noticed that the moon seemed to not only have earth's shadow blocking the suns light

It is never earth's shadow, it is the moon's own shadow because you see it illuminated from the side.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hornum

nah i was in the restaurantat 9pm. I had a view out to the back area, which is how i saw the flare/meteor thing, but otherwise, the only moon i saw was driving home. yeah the times are all messed up - i dont get it either lol

Interesting you say that the moon quickly moved from view entirely for you. I remember thinking it was strange how quickly the move had moved below the horizon. Very fast - like 10 minutes to move 30-35degrees in the sky.

There's some stuff round ATS at the moment bout the Sun going dark or blacking out or something - i didnt see any link, but i wonder.

reply to post by Australiana

That's interesting. Do you remember the time when you saw it?

So we have a few people who can confirm an odd moon - thats pretty interesting. i cant help but think of Comet Elenin/Nibiru/Tyche theories and how that could actually explain this. Bit of a stretch i guess tho

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof7

As i looked closer i noticed that the moon seemed to not only have earth's shadow blocking the suns light

It is never earth's shadow, it is the moon's own shadow because you see it illuminated from the side.

This is true - my bad. thanks for pointing it out.

So rethinking it, the celstial object theory still works, so does the UFO idea. Celestial object makes more sense.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Can't remember - must have been 9.30pm - 11.30pm as I often sit out on my back verandah at night on my laptop. The moon looked really weird in colour all night though and I couldn't stop looking at it. Too cloudy tonight to see the moon. I should have taken a photo as I just knew something looked really odd and that Diagram #2 is right on target.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

imagebin.org...
This is how the moon must have looked in Sydney at 23:15 local time (12:15 UTC), 1° above the horizon.

There were no other known heavenly bodies between sun and moon or sun and earth at this time, not even close.

edit on 13-3-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by prof7

Looks similar to what I saw - but not quite. I am not in Sydney though as am in the southern part of Aust. It couldn't have been 1 degree above horizon when I saw it though as I would have not been able to see it from where I was positioned.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by prof7

This is interesting. What I saw looked nothing like that. What I saw was just like Pic #1 in OP.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It couldn't have been 1 degree above horizon when I saw it though as I would have not been able to see it from where I was positioned.

The image was calculated for Sydney at 23:15 UTC, there it was 1° at this time, immediately before setting beyond the horizon.

The moon is still on its orbit and the earth axis is still oriented like it is supposed to be because here in Germany I can still observe the sun, the moon and the stars at the exact times and positions where they are supposed to be.

And if the entire Australian continent did not suddenly move to another place on the planet then I would expect the same to be true for Australia too.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Hi, long time lurker had to join to comment on moon last night. I live in Canberra Australia and noticed the same thing with the moon last night, but also the green flair type thing. Canberra is 200 miles from Sydney so it had to be something other than a flair. It was bright green then faded out then came back. I thought meteor, and it looked like it landed not far, but if seen in Sydney must have been big.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've dealt with a lot of moon related things on other conspiracy websites and by and far it has been easy to find rational explanations for it all...but your sighting is amazing.

Now the red color is atmospheric interference, there are a number of things; volcanic dust, wildfire smoke, pollution, etc. that causes that, and indeed the moon has a different angle north to south hemisphere. I noticed that while watching a movie filmed in Australia...I was amazed to see a moon phase totally different from anything I'd ever seen before. A bit of research and discovered the different ways the moon appears over the world. Fascinating!

I have been wracking my mind trying to find a totally normal, ordinary reason for what you saw. It couldn't be a partial eclipse because that only occurs during full phase. You said that it didn't appear to be clouds, which is easy enough to ascertain if you can stop and give it a really good look.

It does sound like something very large passed in front of it...hard to get a true perspective because you couldn't see what it was, OR something VERY large cast a shadow on it, which I doubt because the sighting was local...rather than a world wide event.

What with all the disasters you folks have been experiencing it would make me rather uneasy to think of some huge 'something' hovering about your neighborhood!

Good catch!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... OP view this link , something identical happend with the sun ,Cross referance time zones and see if it is related.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
www.youtube.com... OP view this link , something identical happend with the sun ,Cross referance time zones and see if it is related.

That was the Earth coming between SDO and the sun. Because of SDO's orbit, the Earth will pass between the sun and SDO almost every day for 2-3 weeks, twice a year.

sdoisgo.blogspot.com...
edit on 13-3-2011 by nataylor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
hey maybe you saw something you werent supposed to see

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

Yeah i saw that clip too. Initially, early on in the clip, it loked VERY SIMILAR. But then he started rolling his footage and it looked different.

Besides, i saw the Moon, not the Sun.

But thanks for the tip anyway

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dinogur
hey maybe you saw something you werent supposed to see

Who knows mate. Possibly.

At least i dont appear to have been the only one who saw it!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
A good friend of mine, lives North of my location, took a great pic of the moon on the night in question.

No anomalies, just a great pic which shows the exact inclination of the Moon's cresent and the reddish colour. Though my sighting was at least twice as red as this pic.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/92084278cecc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I might be wrong here but if the 'object' casting the 'shadow' was in between the earth adn the mon the wouldn't you have seen the 'object' lit up by the sun? much the same as the moon is?

perhaps what you saw was closer to earth and local to you, above you... making it seem as though it was casting a shadow across the moon but in actual fact it was blocking your view and was in our atmosphere?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

...What it wasn't:

- It wasn't a cloud.
- It wasn't an obstacle in the near foreground between me and the moon - the car was moving round bends and there was nothing which could obstruct my vision.
- It wasn't a plane or a blimp.
- It wasn't a UFO (i dont think)
- It wasn't something on the car windscreen blocking my view....

How exactly do you know it wasn't a cloud? You said it was 11:15 PM, so it would be very dark. A dense cloud may not be easily visible -- i.e., it would simply look black, and thus blend in with the sky. Plus, being on the horizon, the cloud would even seem denser than it really is, because you would be looking at it a little more "edge on", making it even harder to see against the night sky.

The only way to know such a cloud is there is if it passes in front of a star or the Moon. The density of the cloud, heighten by the fact that you are viewing the cloud from a more edge on angle, would mean that the edges of the cloud would not "glow" like they normally might with the Moon behind it.

Like this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea7e6a52e057.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As an addendum to my post above:

Here's an example that shows how a cloud could partially obscure the moon, but that cloud may otherwise not be visible. You said in the OP "it wasn't a cloud", but I don't understand how you can be so sure it wasn't a cloud.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1178934f94c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There isn't much around about this, but there is this video, watch closely as the direction of the sun going dark and the direction of it being revealed are different, possibly disqualifying any claims of just something floating past the lense. Really wierd... Theres movement too which isn't usualy there, see what you think. I'm not sure what to make of it but the same phenomenon could have occured when you saw the moon.
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join