It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Your Favorite Sci Fi or Fantasy Novel.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nonnez

Love Joe Haldeman. I am down for a movie. Sci Fi Channel would probably do a good job with this.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
If anyone is a fan of George R R Martin, you will know (or you should know) that the first book in the series "Song of Ice and Fire" has been made into an HBO series. I am a HUGE fan and have many many books written by George.

Game of Thrones
April 17th 2011 on HBO

I can't wait!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I read a novel many many years ago titled "Lucifer's Hammer". It was about a meteor that slammed into the Ocean and flooded most of the United States. The story the revolves around individual survivors who find each other, and band together so they can resume cable TV and Martinis. It was a pretty good book, and I know that I enjoyed reading it. At the time I was having a series of dreams that were related in the book. As I read the book I became quite freaked out because of these dreams.
Very seldom have I seen a movie, based on the book, that I enjoyed as much as the book, and in fact, I am often disappointed in the movie. I would think that some schemes from book would provide an opportunity for some excellent CGI.

link   
mine isnt a novel but i dont really care, zelda ocarina of time would be an insane movie

link   
Dean Koontz - Twilight Eyes

The book starts out with Slim sneaking up on, and killing, a "goblin or beast" on the fair grounds of a local carnival. Goblins are monsters which have the ability to shape shift between human and bestial forms, genetically engineered super-predators with a built-in desire for bloodshed and human misery. Created in an ancient, technologically superior, era of human civilization, they exist purely to torment, terrify, and ultimately murder all of mankind. They can only be seen by a few people, including Slim himself, Rya Raines (his wife), and Joel Tuck (Slim's friend and fellow carnie). These goblins are superhuman compared to normal humans and are extremely dangerous and genocidal, but also as intelligent as us if not more so, able to perfectly mimic normal human behavior with peerless cunning and skill. While they might appear and act as a normal man or woman would, they have the capacity to experience only a limited range of negative emotions such as fear and hate. The only pleasure they are mentally wired to experience is in the act of torturing and brutally murdering true human beings. They are anathema, the perfect inhuman example of every serial killer ever known taken to superhuman extremes.

Slim's claim to fame is his "Twilight Eyes", which give him the ability to receive psychic, or prophetic, premonitions of the future. They also allow him to see through the human seeming disguise of the goblins. These eyes are named what they are because they are colored purple like the skyline at dusk.

en.wikipedia.org...

Who doesnt want to see some guy slaughtering "goblins"?
Loved this book when i first read it years ago, still go back and read it occasionally.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
randevu with rama: and all three books in the series; because they are very good stories. but without kubrick i feel any part of the books that could be emphasized and expressed in motion would be dilluted. so it should be an animated film.

childhoods end is also a really good story and book that would be weird to see in motion but i would prefer to see it in live action than animation.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I've heard lately that my current favourite book is about to be made into a big budget Hollywood sci fi/ horror movie. "World War Z." by Max Brooks. An account of how mankind fought back from the brink of extinction in the zombie wars. I've even read on one of the fanzine sites that Brad Pitt has agreed to appear!
I would strongly advise this book to anyonw who likes it when the written word causes chills to run up and down your back!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Gee " The Forever War ". That one seriously gives a ride into a much wider, and longer sense of reality.

For me though I think the one that had the largest effect in my ability to truly wonder was The Martian Chronicles. Id been reading Asimov and Bester and Heinlien when along came Bradbury and the first missions to Mars. One chapter was written from the Martians perspective as the first Earth ship approaches. They watch expectantly and wait.

In the ship the captain and crew, land the ship and find no life at all. A young teenager in the early 60's, this just slapped me sideways.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Right now I am really in to Charles Stross. He is a really good author and has a little something for everyone. His 'Laundary' novels have a Lovecraft theme and 'Jennifer Morgue' is the latest one. His newest book 'Saturn's Children' is about robots built for human companionship, if you know what I mean, lost in a world with no more people.
Here is a link to Charles Stross's novel Accelerando which is free and can be downloaded in several formats. It is a CyberPunk novel set in a world that is Just-Post Singularity. It has a Matryoshka (dyson sphere) shell in it. Don't miss it if you do 'Cyber'.

www.antipope.org...
edit on 13-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

I understand that it effected many in that way. I have talked to many fans that have a deep respect for this book. I saw the TV series when I was about 11.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
to wound the autumnal city.
So howled out for the world to give him a name.
The in-dark answered with wind.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4c7b817bf2e.jpg[/atsimg]

But I still hear them walking in the trees: not speaking.
Waiting here, away from the terrifying weaponry, out of
the halls of vapor and light, beyond holland into the
hills, I have come to

I got this book brand new in 1975.

Since then I have reread it numerous times. One of the strangest books I have ever read!

A movie would be awesome.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Dudette, you totally hit the magick button on that one. You are obviously schooled. I don't know what to say. I am humbled. The glare from your LightSaber is to great to look upon.

"To Wound the Autumnal City"

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Any of the books about this guy:

Drizzt Do'Urden

It's sort of impossible to pick a favorite Drizzt book though as at this point there's nearly twenty of them (last I checked).

Why should it be made into a movie? Because Drizzt is a classic character, a heroic rogue with unparalleled fighting skills who escapes an evil heritage to become a legend. Would give Hollywood the opportunity to show off special effects, have epic battle scenes and still tell a story with heart and meaning to it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a296fc525cbf.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Yep. I have friends who have finished them all. I love the cover art.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
'The moon is a harsh mistress'

Robert Heinlein.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Again. An immortal slayer of a Science Fiction novel. Heinlein was a god.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Doesn't really seem to have a name but I just gave it one based on the title of the first novel. The Wayfarer Redemption series. I think a few people here have the cover art of the first book as their avatar as well

www.blackgate.com...

Why it should be made into a movie I can't really say - has some interesting battles [large scale ones to be exact] has magic, deities and just all the right things for a fantasy novel as well as tragedy. Yet the scope of it all could not be in a movie I don't think. So not to sure how to say it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Thanks for posting the cover. I will have to check that one out...I looked up Fritz Leiber and I haven't read any of his stuff but sounds good. Lots of great reading material in your thread now.

edit on 13-3-2011 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nonnez

You all beat me to this one. I have just finished re-reading it. A great novel.
Failing that, I think Ringworld by Larry Niven would be a good choice.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Actually that would be good to. I have always been fascinated by Drow and generally always based my D&D characters on them to. So having a feature movie based on at least one of them would be nice or even the war of the spider queen to showcase the whole culture.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join