It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Your Favorite Sci Fi or Fantasy Novel.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
And do you think it should be made into a Movie?

Hello everyone. I realize that I should have done this a little sooner it just took awhile for it to sink in. I did think about different ways to introduce myself and what I might say about myself and I think that is what made it easy to develop a little amnesia around introducing myself.
I realized that the way that I have made good friends in the past is to share favorite books. I have found that it is a pretty good way to check people out. So I thought that I would share my favorite authors and novels and especially the one I would die to see turned into a movie.
I am a voracious reader and I will read just about anything but I have a special place in my heart for Science Fiction and Fantasy. I like to think that I like the good stuff. Probably my favorite Fantasy author is Gene Wolfe and I grew up on the New Urth novels and still follow his publications. I also love Tolkien, of course. I also really like M. John Harrison and the Viriconium books as well as China Meiville and the new stuff from Steph Swainston. I also had a giant bolus of Doc Savage 'novels' between the ages of 12 and 15, That didn't help matters.
I also pursue all sorts of esoterica especially Alchemy and Fulcanelli.
But my all time favorite Sci-Fi novel. The one I want to see a movie made of is...

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. I have loved this book since the first time I read it in the service.
I really like the character, Gully Foyle and how his need for revenge causes him to become a sort of superman. I mean; who doesn't love a story of sweet revenge? This is the Grand-Daddy of them all. I used to think Arnold S. would be a great Gully Foyle but it is a little late now so my vote is for Vin Diesel. He would do a better job any way because he is sci-fi minded. I hope any of you that are able and so incline will read this story. Only 154 pages.
Here is a pretty good fan tribute video fro YouTube:www.youtube.com...
So that is the short version of me by way of books. I hope I will get a chance to swap favorites with other members. I have so enjoyed my membership on ATS so far. Thanks for coming by.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2011 by Frater210 because: ; )

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
If any fantasy/sci fi novel should be in brought into a movie would be the Pendragon series (sorry King Arthur fans not about him or Uther)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Enders Game, hands down.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

The Warren Comission Report.
Oh wait, they already did that one.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LunchBocks

I love Ender's Game. That is for sure my second choice for movie to be made. Totally agree with that one, My Friend. Have you read them all?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
"The Jaunt" by Stephen King.

It was a short story that was in The Skeleton Crew.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The Foundation Series but too hard i suppose.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I am just about always down for anything 'Arthurian'. I like some of the new interpretations. The last of that I have read is 3 out of the 5 A.A. Attanasio novels. The Ar-Thor stuff.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

George Alec Effinger - When Gravity Fails

It has great characters, and an inventive story. Well written and easy to imagine.
A few friends of mine all agree it is their favorite sci-fi book as well. Everyone I lend it to LOVES it.
Definitely should be made into a movie.

books.google.com...
A review...

In a decadent world of cheap pleasures and easy death, Marid Audrian has kept his independence the hard way. Still, like everything else in the Budayeen, he's available....for a price. For a new kind of killer roams the streets of the Arab ghetto, a madman whose bootlegged personality cartridges range from a sinister James Bond to a sadistic disemboweler named Khan. And Marid Audrian has been made an offer he cant refuse. The two hundred-year-old godfather of the Budayeens underworld has enlisted Marid as his instrument of vengeance. But first Marid must undergo the most sophisticated of surgical implants before he dares to confront a killer who carries the power of every psychopath since the beginning of time. Wry, savage, and not to be ignored, When Gravity Fails was hailed as a classic by Effingers fellow SF writers on its original publication in 1987, and the sequence of Marid Audrian novels it began were the culmination of his career.

www.tor.com...

This is the first paragraph...

Chiriga’s nightclub was right in the middle of the Budayeen, eight blocks from the eastern gate, eight blocks from the cemetery. It was handy to have the graveyard so close-at-hand. The Budayeen was a dangerous place and everyone knew it. That’s why there was a wall around three sides. Travelers were warned away from the Budayeen, but they came anyway. They’d heard about it all their lives and they were damned if they were going home without seeing it for themselves. Most of them came in the Eastern gate and started up the Street curiously; they’d begin to get a little edgy after two or three blocks, and they’d find a place to sit and have a drink or eat a pill or two. After that they’d hurry back the way they’d come, and count themselves lucky to get back to the hotel. A few weren’t so lucky and stayed behind in the cemetery. Like I said, it was a very conveniently located cemetery and saved trouble all around.

edit on 13-3-2011 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MonteroReal

Would make awesome anime. What do you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
guardians of the flame ... joel rosenberg

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

I so fully agree. George Alec Effinger's book is totally rad. I also really dug the Hardwired novel by Walter John Williams from the same era. You have the classic good taste. Do you like Fritz Lieber?

edit on 13-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I also like King. I am just getting in to the Dark Tower stuff.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

The Belgariad and The Mallorean by David Eddings would make EPIC movies!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

"The Forever War" By Joe Haldeman

It is about a war between races that must travel light-years to the battlefield . . . I am sure you can figure out the problems/benefits that this would create.

edit on 13-3-2011 by nonnez because: Removed link

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I would love to see the "Ashes" series by William W. Johnstone made into a movie w/ many sequels. It is the best post-apocalyptic series I've ever read. There are probably about thirty of them.

And, by the way....Welcome to ATS!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
First one that springs to mind is The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Another epic story. I found this at a similar time to LOTR which I could never get into properly.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Boat Of A Million Years by Poul Anderson

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LunchBocks
Enders Game, hands down.

Film

Orson Scott Card released the latest of his author-written screenplay adaptations to Warner Bros. in May 2003. David Benioff and D. B. Weiss were later signed to write a new script, working closely with director Wolfgang Petersen. Card later announced that he would be writing a new script not based on any previous one, including his own.[16] Following the departure of Petersen from the project and Card's self-described refusal to "condescend to green-screen Hollywood," Card announced in February 2009 that he had completed a script for Odd Lot Entertainment, and that they had begun assembling a production team.[17] In September 2010 it was announced that Gavin Hood was attached to the project, serving as both screenwriter and director.[18]

From the wiki....your dream may come true

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

No kidding! Epic is the word for it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join