It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Your Favorite Sci Fi or Fantasy Novel.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
I read a novel many many years ago titled "Lucifer's Hammer". It was about a meteor that slammed into the Ocean and flooded most of the United States. The story the revolves around individual survivors who find each other, and band together so they can resume cable TV and Martinis..

"Lucifer's Hammer" is one of my favorite books. It was written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It was first published in 1977. It starts out slow, but by the time it gets going, is a frightening, seat of your pants read. Every time I think of what it would be like when an asteroid hits our world, I think of this book. I can easily see many of the events in this book playing out in real life when such a day arrives. Bands of survivors fighting other survivors over their meager belongings as they try to kick start a ruined world.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky11

Yes, Sparky11. It is a tour de force whirlwind of fantastical imagination...You speak the truth.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FleetAdmiral

Hi FleetAdmiral

I loved all the Discworld novels. I daren't read them on a train or bus simply incase of laughing out loud.
For me, they are all so good how do you pick just one? Perhaps Monstrous Regiment?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
OK. Imagine me singing in an operatic 80's metal voice....

"What about this onnnnnnee"

I read this, I think, three times through when I was in the service. All my buddies borrowed it. I am sure we destroyed more than one copy. Should have laminated it along with the maps. And this book here which was always around and did get laminated...

I have to admit that the movie made from Starship Troopers really left me wanting.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Frater210 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
"Fly Fishing" by J.R.Hartly.

That was pure fantasy.

Does the bible count?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Winter’s Tale (1983) is a sometimes fantastic tale of early 20th century life in New York City. Waaaayyy out there!

Mark Helprin.

The most fantastic use of the English language I have ever experienced. Starts out simply enough but half way thru, pull out the dictionary.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
S&F for you

For once, a post where there is no trolling (yet:lol
, a post where no-one should get flamed (unless you wanna mention books about Emo Vampires..
:lol

So, what would i pick?? Well, for me i would have to go with Fiest's Midkemia, but with all those books, they'd possibly have to be a series, and we know that would kill the stories.....

As someone else already mentioned, the Rama series would be cool, the Ender series would be great, The Shanara series.... there is more, way more.

I'm enjoying this thread. Keep 'em coming guys. Some interesting stuff i need to find..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'd have to say, for me, it's a tossup between Neuromancer by William Gibson and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Second place would be all other books by these two, they are great. Cryptonomicon, while not sci fi, is one of the best books ever...
edit on 13-3-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

one of my favorite novels is .Dancers at the end of time [MICHAEL MOORCOCK] sorry if i got the spelling wrong American English and ye old English ???

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I loved all the David Drake books especially the Slammers.David Weber and the Honor Harrington series would be a great set of movies.I always thought that Heinleins Lazarus Long series would be a terriific movie.
Enders Game and the rest of the series would make awsome movies.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Any of the books about this guy:

Drizzt Do'Urden

It's sort of impossible to pick a favorite Drizzt book though as at this point there's nearly twenty of them (last I checked).

Why should it be made into a movie? Because Drizzt is a classic character, a heroic rogue with unparalleled fighting skills who escapes an evil heritage to become a legend. Would give Hollywood the opportunity to show off special effects, have epic battle scenes and still tell a story with heart and meaning to it.

Have to agree here...would be awesome as a movie. Why the two D&D movies used some generic world, and didn't base it off the myriad of novels, who knows?

By the way, the second D&D movie (probably just available on DVD) is WAY better as a D&D movie...though still nothing to brag about.

Another suggestion would be the Ranger's Apprentice series of books, though I think they ARE making those into a film or two..depending on how well it does.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Cryptonomicon, while not sci fi, is one of the best books ever...
edit on 13-3-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

Good call, I've lost count of the number of times I've been back through it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I have to admit that the movie made from Starship Troopers really left me wanting.

As cheesy as this was, I still love this movie. Watched it again just the other day. It really holds up as just pure cinematic entertainment. The newsreels are classic humor (Would you like to know more?), the aliens horrific, and the action is non-stop. Add the delectable Denise Richards, Felicity (Kerri Russell) nude scenes, and the incomparable Michael Ironsides, and it's just a hell of a flick!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

yup, every one and the side stories too, great series.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It's true. The movie stands up by itself. I just wish it had been more like the book. You know; Marines in full battle-mech-type armor making 10 story leaps and nuking the enemy from 3 miles away. The part I really missed was the individual marines being fired in their drop-capsules from the orbiting battleship. But the movie was OK on it's own. The insects were awesome.
For those that like the cheese layed on nice and thick and stanky might I suggest Dan Abnett...

I love Warhammer 40K, too
edit on 15-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
reply to post by Gazrok

I love Warhammer 40K, too
edit on 15-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

Have you seen that ultrmarines cartoon? It was surprisingly good.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

No. But I will totally be on the lookout for that...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

No. But I will totally be on the lookout for that...

U torrent is your friend. ;-)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I actually have a pretty decent Eldar army (WH40K), even though I've played all of like 4 times. They can never stand up well to the Tyranids or Chaos Marines it seems though (or I just suck at it, hehe...). Though, I do kind of tend to try out unorthodox strategies often.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I always liked the eldar, especially the harlequins. My youngest lad has got into it recently and is emptying my wallet on space marines.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join