It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This eartquake makes it plain to those who are not in a state of slumber or denial that Humanity itself must change. the earthquake itself is a great tragedy but the use of Nuclear power is causing a greater disaster.
Governments and the main stream media are liars - There is a meltdown ongoing at the first reactor now even worse another reactor which uses Plutonium has exploded with mushroom cloud. Plutonium is many times more lethal than Uranium YOU now have yet another wake up call ITS YOUR CHOICE - Stay as you are trusting in others Governments and their like to sort things out OR do something think for yourself and get your heads out of the sand if you care about the ones you love.
You need Iodine to protect the Thyroid this can be purchased in the form of Kelp - yes seaweed either as part of your diet or in food supplement form from Health stores or Pharmacy.
There is a cover in operation and even if if does not get to the worst case scenario BE PREPARED there is much more of these disasters long over due and IT WILL HAPPEN - I could go into more detail about the why and how of this but that is not the most important issue - be prepared - what if all your power and fuel stopped think about please - I love you and care about you and detest how those in power abuse that power.
Get storable foods and all that you know you would need - Imagine that there may come a time very soon when you will not be able to simply go to Walmart for your goods - THIS IS NOT A JOKE - I rarely post but feel a resposibility to nudge those who are in a state of denail.
Better safe than sorry and for sure ievents like this and worse WILL HAPPEN
lOVE TO ALL EVEN THOSE WHO WOULD DERIDE THIS POST

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elieser
I have been checking around and the only thing I could find that prevents radiation "poisoning" is Potassium Iodide. I bought a few pill packs as soon as I heard what was going on, you can find some online and if you pay a bit more they will deliver it in a day or two.

Yea same for me. The only things we can do for prevention in the next hours ( considering make a shelter not being an option) is to buy some iodide potassium pills.

Thyroid protection due to nuclear accidents and emergenciesSSKI may be used in radioiodine-contamination emergencies (i.e., nuclear accidents) to "block" the thyroid's uptake of radioiodine (this is not the same as blocking the thyroid's release of thyroid hormone).

Potassium iodide was approved in 1982 by the US FDA to protect the thyroid glands from radioactive iodine from accidents or fission emergencies. In the event of an accident or attack at a nuclear power plant, or fallout from a nuclear bomb, volatile fission product radionuclides may be released, of which 131I is one of the most common by-products and a particularly dangerous one due to thyroid gland concentration of it, which may lead to thyroid cancer. By saturating the body with a source of stable iodide prior to exposure, inhaled or ingested 131I tends to be excreted.

Potassium iodide cannot protect against any other causes of radiation poisoning, nor can it provide any degree of protection against dirty bombs that produce radionuclides other than isotopes of iodine. See fission products and the external links for more details concerning radionuclides.

Wikipedia - Potassium iodide

Here is a link where you can get those pills if you believe you are in a risk of being exposed to radioiodide.

Anbex

Thruthseek3r

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Associate professor of KTH (kungliga tekniska högskolan): Japan is lying to protect the interests

Swedish nuclear expert Frigyes Reisch believe that Japan is lying about the situation to protect the huge economic interests. "It is as bad as Chernobyl," he says, but may be met with opposition by Leif Moberg, Director of Research for Radiation Protection.

SOURCE

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
This eartquake makes it plain to those who are not in a state of slumber or denial that Humanity itself must change. the earthquake itself is a great tragedy but the use of Nuclear power is causing a greater disaster.

Really? You believe that the troubles they're having with the reactors is causing a greater disaster than the quake and the tsunami? How many people have been killed by the reactors overheating? Now, compare that number to what is likely to be over 10,000 people who were killed by the tsunami.

Governments and the main stream media are liars - There is a meltdown ongoing at the first reactor now even worse another reactor which uses Plutonium has exploded with mushroom cloud. Plutonium is many times more lethal than Uranium YOU now have yet another wake up call ITS YOUR CHOICE - Stay as you are trusting in others Governments and their like to sort things out OR do something think for yourself and get your heads out of the sand if you care about the ones you love.

The mainstream media is trying to hype up the nuclear fears just like many here are. They're not trying to calm anything, they want people glued to their screens in terror like always. As for the mushroom cloud, where are you getting that?

You need Iodine to protect the Thyroid this can be purchased in the form of Kelp - yes seaweed either as part of your diet or in food supplement form from Health stores or Pharmacy.

Iodine has been added to salt for a very long time to combat the problems society used to have with goiter. Most of us get more than enough iodine in our diets...

There is a cover in operation and even if if does not get to the worst case scenario BE PREPARED there is much more of these disasters long over due and IT WILL HAPPEN - I could go into more detail about the why and how of this but that is not the most important issue - be prepared - what if all your power and fuel stopped think about please - I love you and care about you and detest how those in power abuse that power.
Get storable foods and all that you know you would need - Imagine that there may come a time very soon when you will not be able to simply go to Walmart for your goods - THIS IS NOT A JOKE - I rarely post but feel a resposibility to nudge those who are in a state of denail.

It's common sense that people should have those items in case of disasters. But, this reactor issue in the worst case will still only affect the people in that area

Not deriding your post, just don't think there's any reason to stir up fear and panic that isn't necessary.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Really? You believe that the troubles they're having with the reactors is causing a greater disaster than the quake and the tsunami? How many people have been killed by the reactors overheating? Now, compare that number to what is likely to be over 10,000 people who were killed by the tsunami.

The mainstream media is trying to hype up the nuclear fears just like many here are. They're not trying to calm anything, they want people glued to their screens in terror like always. As for the mushroom cloud, where are you getting that?

Iodine has been added to salt for a very long time to combat the problems society used to have with goiter. Most of us get more than enough iodine in our diets...

It's common sense that people should have those items in case of disasters. But, this reactor issue in the worst case will still only affect the people in that area

Not deriding your post, just don't think there's any reason to stir up fear and panic that isn't necessary.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

What I am saying is that on top of the tragedy of the earthquake the use of nuclear power compounds the tragedy.

It may be comon sense to you to be prepared but to others this is not so

You say in its worst case scenario it will only affect people in that area but you are talking to some in the uk who was a victim of radiation posioning when the active cloud came over from Chernobyl - We in uk were informed of this when it set off detectors here however when it affected the USA and it did your government failed to inform it's people - This is not about National boundry this is about Humanity

I am not here to panic any one - the subject matter itself is uncomfortable for all of us - Japan today but where tommorrow - I say no need to panic time to act as best one can - apologies if I showed I care

edit on 14-3-2011 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

with all due respect the content of your post is a Rant and should be placed there

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

You say in its worst case scenario it will only affect people in that area but you are talking to some in the uk who was a victim of radiation posioning when the active cloud came over from Chernobyl - We in uk were informed of this when it set off detectors here however when it affected the USA and it did your government failed to inform it's people - This is not about National boundry this is about Humanity

I understand your concern, but this is a different kind of reactor than Chernobyl. It will not end up that way, do you think if the MSM really felt it was the same level of danger, they would have their golden boy Anderson Cooper in the same city as the reactor?? They are trying to stir up fear for ratings, as usual. Just like with terrorism, and everything else. Look at their headlines, "Deadly nuclear fallout", etc. Nobody has died from the fallout, and I highly doubt anybody will. Quote me on that all you like if it happens.

I am not here to panic any one - the subject matter itself is uncomfortable for all of us - Japan today but where tommorrow - I say no need to panic time to act as best one can - apologies if I showed I care

Right, I understand. I appreciate your concern for us all, but don't buy into the hype brother.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The first reply or so said it best. Not much we can do, but keep going. I plan on doing what I always do but with more appriciation. Live in the moment.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Watching CNN right now, their nuclear "expert" is putting on a great show for them. It's disgraceful. "We don't know what's happening, this is all speculation, but IF this is BAD news, this is BAD NEWS!...but we don't know for sure, but this is BAD BAD news!!...NUCLEAR FALLOUT...maybe, but IF there is fallout, this will be VERY BAD!" Give me a freaking break. They're playing it up BIG time with all their maybes, stay tuned cuz we're ALL GONNA DIE!!...maybe. Gotta love the MSM sometimes, anything for ratings.
edit on 14-3-2011 by 27jd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I really hope there are plans to at the very least make these nuclear plants much safer in the future. The people of the Japan and the rest of the world have enough to worry about without all this going on as well.

Better yet scrap them all together.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NumberEight

Well, that's a bit premature. I'd say wait until this is all said and done before making such a drastic call. If they're able to contain everything, it will show that even when nature throws it's nastiest at them, the worst case can be averted. If we scrap all the nuclear reactors, what will substitute all the power they provide for us? More oil drilling? Oil causes cancer too, and as we've seen isn't always accident proof either. There is alot to be learned from this, and instead of scrapping nuclear energy all together, maybe switch over to all fusion reactors, if that's even a possibility...after all, we live under a giant fusion reactor and wouldn't exist without it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Well, that's a bit premature. I'd say wait until this is all said and done before making such a drastic call. If they're able to contain everything, it will show that even when nature throws it's nastiest at them, the worst case can be averted. If we scrap all the nuclear reactors, what will substitute all the power they provide for us? More oil drilling? Oil causes cancer too, and as we've seen isn't always accident proof either. There is alot to be learned from this, and instead of scrapping nuclear energy all together, maybe switch over to all fusion reactors, if that's even a possibility...after all, we live under a giant fusion reactor and wouldn't exist without it.

I dont know what the best solution would be in regards to power substitues. Im only a simple fellow.

However if this kills only a 5 people then thats 5 to many. It may turn out that Nuclear power is the safest option, although I doubt it is. Im sure there will be many advances in the future regarding fuel/energy. Here's hoping that we get something relatively risk free.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NumberEight

I hear ya, but personally I believe nuclear power to be a better source than oil. And elitist fat cats don't play games with the price of nuclear energy, we need to be careful not to let big oil play off of the fear of the word radiation. Fusion reactors would be much safer than fission from what I've read, but haven't really been used because it was easier to develop fission reactors. Here's site comparing the two...

If accidentally, a fission reaction goes out of control as a result of not controlling the emission of neutrons, a nuclear meltdown can happen which can then release highly radioactive particles in the atmosphere. In contrast, in case of nuclear fusion if the reaction goes out of control, the reaction would stop automatically as it it’ll cool down. In addition, in case of nuclear fusion reaction, the amount of radioactive materials produced as waste is very small and the maximum damage which could happen is the vaporization of anything in the immediate vicinity of the reaction.

With regards to these factors it can be said that a fusion reaction is a more environmentally friendly method of producing nuclear power. Energy requirement: It takes less energy to split two atoms with fission than it does to fuse two atoms, which is why fission reactors were developed first, and why fusion reactors have not been developed yet.

Read more: Nuclear Fission vs Nuclear Fusion - Difference and Comparison | Diffen www.diffen.com...

If a fusion reactor goes tits up, it just shuts down. I'd venture to guess the reason we don't use them is cost, but perhaps we will look more closely at this in the future...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by artistpoet

with all due respect the content of your post is a Rant and should be placed there

Oxford dictionary defination of Rant " To make a violent speech"
How is passing on information for your discernment a rant - with all due respect

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I understand your concern, but this is a different kind of reactor than Chernobyl. It will not end up that way, do you think if the MSM really felt it was the same level of danger, they would have their golden boy Anderson Cooper in the same city as the reactor?? They are trying to stir up fear for ratings, as usual. Just like with terrorism, and everything else. Look at their headlines, "Deadly nuclear fallout", etc. Nobody has died from the fallout, and I highly doubt anybody will. Quote me on that all you like if it happens.

Right, I understand. I appreciate your concern for us all, but don't buy into the hype brother.

How do you know it will not end up that way - I am reading many conflicting reports on this.
I for one do not believe what most of main stream media is saying - The Earthquake is real the tsunami is real the explosions are real - the potential for catastrophe is real being prepared is common sense

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I really hope there are plans to at the very least make these nuclear plants much safer in the future. The people of the Japan and the rest of the world have enough to worry about without all this going on as well.

the plant was made in the 1970's - plans to make them "much safer in the future" have been in place since before they were built! the 6th one was completed in 1979 and had an improved construction.

Yeah - let's burn more oil to make up the gap - you dont' mind paying more for your gas do you??

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

How do you know it will not end up that way - I am reading many conflicting reports on this.

Just wait, you'll see. They will keep stringing people along with conflicting reports and speculation of impending doom. One expert will say it's under control, the other will say clouds of nuclear fallout are headed for your home as we speak, and people will stay glued to the screen in terror. That way their sponsors have your undivided attention so they can pitch their investment portfolios and boner pills.

I for one do not believe what most of main stream media is saying - The Earthquake is real the tsunami is real the explosions are real - the potential for catastrophe is real being prepared is common sense

Those things are absolutely real and tragic, and the danger of higher amounts of radiation in the immediate area near the reactor is also real. But it won't turn out anything like Chernobyl, IMO. I would trust Japanese engineering over Russian engineering any day. These reactors are built differently than Chernobyl, and experts who aren't playing a role for the MSM will tell you that.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Yeah - let's burn more oil to make up the gap - you dont' mind paying more for your gas do you??

Exactly, not only the cost, but I thought we were concerned with greenhouse gasses and global warming. Nuclear power doesn't contribute to either. If anything, we should all push for the research and development of fusion reactors to replace fission reactors. Perhaps some of our nuclear experts on this thread could chime in on why that may or may not work?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Just wait, you'll see. They will keep stringing people along with conflicting reports and speculation of impending doom. One expert will say it's under control, the other will say clouds of nuclear fallout are headed for your home as we speak, and people will stay glued to the screen in terror. That way their sponsors have your undivided attention so they can pitch their investment portfolios and boner pills.

Those things are absolutely real and tragic, and the danger of higher amounts of radiation in the immediate area near the reactor is also real. But it won't turn out anything like Chernobyl, IMO. I would trust Japanese engineering over Russian engineering any day. These reactors are built differently than Chernobyl, and experts who aren't playing a role for the MSM will tell you that.

yes the reactors may have been built differently ie to withstand earthquake 8.something but this earthquake exceeds that - already 2 reactors have explode - one using Plutonium - Uranimium is the way of fools Plutonium is the way of idiots. - I hope I am wrong wrong wrong and you speculation is right but being prepared is wise and this is my point really

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join