It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dayton, OH Lowers Police Testing Standards Because Not Enough Blacks Passed...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits.

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.

Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.

Source

This is absolutely ridiculous, and just shows the lunacy that comes out of the DOJ in the name of political correctness.

Not a single rational argument could ever be made in support of this idiocy.
edit on Sat Mar 12 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: limited size of quoted material IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
HAHAHA. Wow. So no one wants the best anymore...they want the best of a certain racial group? Wow. I don't care what colour you are, I would like the best of ANY group for police, medical, and firefighting. Wow. Way to go Ohio!! HAHAHAHAHA

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well they're just following all the other employers in this country, you have Affirmative Action to thank for that. I know I have been turned away from jobs even though I was way more qualified, but they had this crap quota for affirmative action to meet. Plus they have that welfare to work BS and a lot of times they hire a black they can meet both those quotas! This is oone of the reasons we are outsourcing a lot of jobs! This way there's no quota to meet! They really need to do away with this crap Affirmative Action, it should never be based on color, but who would perform best for the company!
edit on 12-3-2011 by ldyserenity because: clarity & adding

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If blacks cant pass the test every other race seems to manage, then blacks dont deserve to be revenue agents cops.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just another example of the current state of stupidity of the American system. I used to work construction and was amazed at the good qualified candidates that were told sorry, no work for you because of quotas. We have to maintain 15% minority worker status. They can't speak english or read the prints but we are required to hire them instead of you. Not to mention the materials that could have been purchased directly from the manufacturer at wholesale, but were instead run through a minority owned business who took a 15% markup for nothing more than forwarding an order... No wonder our country is going to #...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by HaveAnotherOne

Its too bad they DoJ didnt allow the police force time to come up with a way to recruit better qualified black candidates instead of just ordering them to lower the scores.

Clearly, for some reason, educated blacks are going in a different direction besides the police force. I would much rather see them recruit harder to attract better candidates than lower the score for everyone. We dont need dumber cops.

Unless of course thats the whole point of this in the first place. Maybe the DoJ wants dumber cops and so they push this through on a technicality, knowing the race issue would get us all bickering. Dumber cops are much less likely to question authority or engage in meaningful reflection on why they might be being asked to turn on their fellow citizen.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwc273
Not to mention the materials that could have been purchased directly from the manufacturer at wholesale, but were instead run through a minority owned business who took a 15% markup for nothing more than forwarding an order... No wonder our country is going to #...

Although I know a few white guys who set their business up in their "minority" wifes name while maintaining complete control over the company to take advantage of those minority contracts, too.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by mwc273
Not to mention the materials that could have been purchased directly from the manufacturer at wholesale, but were instead run through a minority owned business who took a 15% markup for nothing more than forwarding an order... No wonder our country is going to #...

Although I know a few white guys who set their business up in their "minority" wifes name while maintaining complete control over the company to take advantage of those minority contracts, too.

Now that is truly disturbing.
Hope the wife leaves em and takes ALL!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HaveAnotherOne

It's a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam.

Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test.

Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.

Source

This is absolutely ridiculous, and just shows the lunacy that comes out of the DOJ in the name of political correctness.

edit on Sat Mar 12 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: limited size of quoted material IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Think again. They want people that will follow orders. That is the exact same reason the army wants 18-year-old recruits, they can be "trained" into submission and following orders.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This isnt so much about race or affermative action to me, than it is an admission of the truly horrible education system in the USA. The closest thing to reform in 50 years was Bush's no child left behind wich was nothing more than an excuse for states to have a race to the bottom in public education. This looks to me like a continued dumming down of America wich has continued un abaited for 50 years now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

lol.. being from Dayton, this is no surprise. While it may not be entirely the blacks fault, their schools suck, but it's still incredibly pathetic.

Of course, if you're black from Dayton and you could pass that test, chances are you aspired to being more than a cop and wouldn't try..

Yay affirmative action!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is stupid,

I think quotas are stupid

it IS political correctness gone mad!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Typcial liberal racist policy. Blacks are not smart enough to compete, so we got to help them. Affirmative Active is racist policy.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Lowering the the test requirements for black candidates should tell everyone something? Gotta love the interventionists hard at work! I wonder if ol Abe is proud of what he's done?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I always figured the requirements to get into law enforcement were a personality disorder & anger management/control issues coupled with angst over repressed homosexual desires. Who knew there was an actual standard?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Source

So do you really think this is about political correctness? Do you really think this is local government being nice and lowering standards?

I think this is race baiting red meat for the hard-lining race fascists.

This is just chum for the sheep.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

If blacks cant pass the test every other race seems to manage, then blacks dont deserve to be revenue agents cops.

Right Mr.Fascist . Go enslave them in your friendly neighborhood police state. Who cares they are virtually powerless lets abuse our position while we can!

Praise Mao!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Source

So do you really think this is about political correctness? Do you really think this is local government being nice and lowering standards?

I think this is race baiting red meat for the hard-lining race fascists.

This is just chum for the sheep.

No, its not about political correctness. Its about bringing to light to the public, the lack of education, and the inability to perform tasks at the same level as other employees. Its to educate the citizenry, that are tax dollars are going to pay a low level employee, who is not to " acceptable " standards as the rest. It's also to inform the public, that new employees, whom are at the same educational level of a criminal, are now going to be " protecting " the streets.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Right Mr.Fascist . Go enslave them in your friendly neighborhood police state. Who cares they are virtually powerless lets abuse our position while we can!

Praise Mao!

The poster is a fascist because he doesn't embrace the idea of lower educated minorities becoming employees of the state? Where's your logic in that comment? Oh...there isn't any...sorry~

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Teo things of note:

(1) The local Chapter of the NAACP also thinks that the test scores should not be lowered.

(2) "Test Scores" gives the impression that it is written/kniowledge based.

Here is the summary of what it consists of for Dayton cops.

The Hiring Process (From thier website)

The Dayton Police Department is a progressive organization, seeking a wide range of applicants to reflect the diversity of the City's citizenry. The police hiring process is multi-faceted and intensive, consisting of:

application,
civil service exam,
extensive background investigation,
polygraph,
police interview board (oral review board),
command staff review,
civil service review,
drug screen,
medical and psychological testing .
A physical fitness assessment may also be required.
Applicants must pass each element of the hiring process in order to be appointed as a Police Recruit.
joindaytonpd.com...

I would like to see the two items I bolded seperated out from "test scores" before I form an opinion.

Becuase if black applicants are scoring in all other areas equally to whites, but the "oral review" and "staff review" interview portions are bringing down the scores, then a case could be made that there is discrimination occuring.

If it is the written portion or physical tests that African Americans are not performing well in, then the DOJ has no business demanding the scores be adjusted.

To be honest, cops can be racists just like anyone else. I would want specifics as to what portion of the test minorities are failing...if it is just in oral interviews and panel reviews, I call foul.

edit on 14-3-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join