It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kyodo news:Radiation level inside one reactor at Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 X normal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Just coming on the BBC,

The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

The pressure inside one of the six Boiling Water Reactors (BWRs) at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant has built up because the cooling system was damaged by the earthquake. The heat produced by the nuclear reaction inside the core still needs to be dissipated even after a shutdown. If the outage in the cooling system persists, eventually radiation could leak out into the environment, and, in the worst case, could cause a reactor meltdown, experts say.

BBC LINK

The Kyodo News site is down, I'll post the story when I can!

God help Japan

edit on 11-3-2011 by kiwifoot because: TITLE FIX

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They are seriously getting it bad in Japan at the moment arnt they..

hope this reactor gets sorted out.. wouldn't want anything else to happen, theyve had it bad enough with the quake/tsunami.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Uh………… That statement is kind of pointless unless you know what the start and end levels are.

Normal background radiation levels are around 0.01mR/hour
1000 times that is……..
10mR/hour. There is many places you can walk to that will have higher average radiation levels than that.

At 10mR/hour I would sit around there all day and wouldn’t think twice about it.

A having a thorium lamp mantle in your pocket will give you a higher radiation level than that.

As I have said before, they can use deceptive figures to scare people, which is what i think they are doing here.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
They have lost control of the pressure in 2 reactors. Apparently the US offered them coolant and they refused. This is not going to have a good end. And now they have declared a state of emergency at another power plant.
edit on 11-3-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Kind of intresting but this was in an episode of the west wing in the last season. Right down to the pressure build up and release.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I found this site explaining possible scenerio of nuclear meltdown:
library.thinkquest.org...

If you read the, "Myth of A Reactor Explosion," first paragraph it gives an example of a complete meltdown.

I'm wondering if this is Revelation 8, the 3rd Trumpet:

Revelation 8
10" The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood.[a] A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter."

(if COREXIT isn't already the culprit of turning the water this may do it!)

edit on 11-3-2011 by 0731JLVR because: EDIT

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Absorbing 10 rads per hour is not that dangerous if you are only exposed for a single 8 hour shift, but it would be symptomatic of some serious failure. When they design these plants they usually design in some safety lines for emergency external cooling. They use some fluid like lithium that has a high heat absorption capability and use mobile rigs that can be driven to the site and pump the coolant around the core. Loss of core cooling is one of the most likely scenarios with plant failures like this.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This is some scary stuff!

My fiancee grew up in Sofia, Bulgaria, and is permanently effected by the Chernobyl disaster, which happened well over 500 miles from where she was located. We've had to spend thousands of dollars fixing dental problems, which some of will never go away. She has friends who grew up in the Sofia region who were effected in worse ways.

And yes, this occured in a different country, hundreds of miles away, and the scary thing is the fulle extent of damage to humans isn't known for a decade or two. I really hope for the best for everyone in Japan. If there truly is leaking radiation, and I;ve seen rumors of up to 5 plants beging effected over there, I really hope the citizens will have the ability, and government assistance, to get the hell out of there.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

I did not state 10Rads, I stated 10milli Rads. 10mR would be 1000 times normal background radiation level.

top topics

join