It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Celebrate International Women's Day 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have decided to round up some of the threads here on ATS dealing with women. I do so to show the visitors of this busy board that there is still to this DAY a fighting NEED for people to stand up for Women's Rights. The posts on this website capture but a microcosm of what the world at large feels.

Standing out in the mud of this subject are some strong proponents of female rights, and for those posters, I thank you for your outspokeness on this topic. I am going to highlight some of these praise worthy posts in honor of today.

To begin with,

International Women's Day

Too often it is implied that feminism is some kind of western construct that we should be wary of exporting to the rest of the world. This argument is simply ignorant of the work that women have done and are doing throughout Africa, Asia, and South America to fight for their rights. In the charity I founded, Women for Refugee Women, I work alongside women from many different countries and cultures who have come to the UK for sanctuary from persecution. None of them would have any truck with the idea that human rights are less important to them because Mary Wollstonecraft didn't write in their language.

So it's good to hear Annie Lennox, who is taking a leading role in International Women's Day activities this year, point out that "from India to Illinois women face violence just for being female", or to realise that if you join one of Women for Women International's bridge events today you will be at just one of hundreds of events worldwide, from Afghanistan to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

www.myfoxla.com...

www.internationalwomensday.com...

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Day

Now, on to the celebration. Here at ATS, the topic of women and feminism comes up on a regular basis. Here are some threads that embody the heart of the debate as told from an ATS pov, excerpts are from the OPs.

Feminism: Destroying the Male and Female Relationship
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp
www.henrymakow.com...

The above article is an excellent example on how feminism has collectively destroyed the male and female relationship. I will try to go into some detail as to why using key points from the article.

Feminism brainwashed young women to see husbands as oppressors and family as bondage. There was no longer any reason to restrict sex to love and marriage.

Therefore in the feminist perception, is that men have power over their wives and that the bond of marriage is a commitment that robs them of their freedom and independence in their lives.

A woman's career used to be wife and mother. She consecrated her sexuality for the man she loved, the father of her children, her protector and provider.
Women today are more focused on college and careers that if the right man walked into their life, they would easily brush him aside in pursuit of their own interests in financial support, in an attempt to sustain her perception of freedom and independence in life and from men.

Feminism:Good or Bad

I am in the camp that thinks feminism has done a phenomenal amount of damage to our society, to the extent that if it were to return to the 50’S tomorrow it would likely take 3 or 4 generations just to repair the damage.

Feminism and Secret Societies

I think a woman speaking out is in many ways more powerful than a man doing so, and in many ways I think Feminism distracts women from attacking OTHER critical issues.

Whyne, Womyn and Thongs: How Feminism Has Failed

Was it really oppression from men that kept women from achievement? Or was it that women were already achieving greatly in the roles nature had dealt them? In areas such as raising children, nurturing them and instilling positives values in them, women were without a doubt the masters of their domain.

Feminism and the rights of women throughout the world

This is a tricky question I'm presenting to both men and women of ATS. Since the dawn of the Feminist movement. Both sexes have supported the rights of women through out the world. We have see many accomplishments by women, the feminist movement and what not. I would love to see a real woman run for President. Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, and Sarah Palin do not count.

Feminism..conspiratorial?

Feminism, on the other hand, bothers me. For one thing, it's not what it claims to be. Feminists will tell you feminism is about promoting the equality between women and men, but in fact, it is an agenda that is meant to punish men for alleged, collective historical atrocities towards women and believes that females on average are morally superior to males

The Feminist Movement:Ruining the Image of Men

I am aware of wages disparities still and some of the bias still issued towards women, but I want to discuss this “new age” feminism that is coming to light in industrialized nations who already had a big “feminism” movement in the last 3 decades.

It seems that today’s feminism is all about reducing the male gender to nothing. Continually pushing an agenda that seeks to demonize and put down the male perspective in favor of that of women.

Women are the Cause of All mental Illness

Women don't need to be asked intelligent questions, just out of politeness.

Out of the blue
I say women are the cause of all mental illneses.

The work together and now they are starting to show their ugly face at me.

American Women

A pig doesn't look out for their other fellow piggies, they would rather the other pigs die so they can have more to eat.

American women are the biggest pigs on the planet right now but other western countries are following suit. A lot of men are pigs too, but women are the gatekeepers of pig mentality.

Stop endorsing piggy behavior folks!!!

**Some of the posters here, are outspoken proponents of women's rights, and here are a few threads that contain some posts by these posters.

Rape? Its the Fault of the Victims, say 50% of women

The OP was only a link to a Daily Mail article, but this thread launched a vicious 42 page debate on the topic, which brought out every woman hater on the site. The thread is also a showcase to many posters who defended women, and were outraged at the clear anti woman sentiment found in thread.

Female posters Incapable of Original Thought

Originally posted by Jenna

Literature, mythology, and folklore from virtually every part of the globe contains tales of women who were fierce in battle, leaders of armies, revered leaders of their people, heroines, goddesses of war, etc. Women were not always seen as weak, helpless, and incapable of intelligent thought. This seems to be a relatively new development in the history of mankind. One that I find irritating in general, but significantly more so on a website such as this where we all come to discuss and learn.

Feminist or Feminazi? Truth and Myth

Originally posted by parrhesia
We are making this thread because we think it is about time we begin to deny ignorance regarding feminism on ATS. Far too often feminism is misrepresented, and far too many see all feminism as a "feminzai" movement.

Feminism is, quite simply, a belief and support of the social, political and economic equality of the sexes. Feminists work to make a reality the social, political and economic equality of women and men.

Due to the common misconception that the average feminist is a "feminazi" far too few young women and men choose to declare themselves feminists, yet you will be hard pressed to find a young woman who says she does not believe in social, political and economic equality.

Of course in each thread I have linked, we have some of the worst examples of anti female thought and also, some of the most progressive. Unfortunately, here at ATS we still have a very LONG way to go before women are treated with the respect they deserve to be treated. It makes me sick to think of how some of these posters behave in real life, if what they are posting on the faceless internet is any indication of their true natures.

I sincerely hope this thread has honored the day by making you dear reader, stop for a second in this busy day and simply THINK about a woman. I hope the thread has also highlighted, through a very tiny sampling of threads, the work that still needs to be done regarding women's rights, as oppresion both begins with and ends with...one's attitude.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I do think its sad that you all dont get = oppurtunities like the males but hopefully in the near future there will be a balance. The 1% of land is kind of wild to me but I dont controll EA so its just wierd to wanna suppress the femal this way. Anyway Enjoy your day and be well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thank you Ophiuchus, I intend to enjoy my day. Every day is woman's day for me, beign a woman, so it is nice to celebrate once in a while!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I hate holidays based on pride and heritage. Just like international Men's Day on November 19th, I think both of them are equally stupid. Same goes for black history month. Pride only breeds division and disillusion from the fact that we are all one.

Anyone hear about an international humanity day? Now, that is something I support... A holiday based on togetherness and love.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

I disagree pride begets division or contempt. I am proud of who I am, and I happen to be a woman. Just becuse there is no international human day doesnt mean women shouldn't be proud of their accomplishments. Especially since women have been so oppressed throughout the ages.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
heatedbakerypotato...

I will say one thing...

I applaud your thread for only one reason... It is very well put together, and you provide much evidence and overall I could tell you worked very hard on this thread...

I will stop myself there before I get into a heated debate about men and women...

that is all.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

WTH does that mean?
Don't just throw out passive aggressive words and then leave.

OP, did you see on the Yahoo front page at the top where the have big ballons popping up all over the Yahoo logo? Big ballons? I was offended.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Right, maybe we just either experienced discrimination or seen other males being wrongfully discriminated against and just don't care.

Take for example the Education sector of the USA. Roughly 90% of all teachers are female. The majority of students who drop out are male, the majority of students who make the honor role are female.

In college education some colleges are already 90% female student body, yet no one cares. If a college was 90% male every female in the country would be jumping up and down screaming about a make believe patriarchy out to get them. Yet their is very real evidence of an all girls club in education and all you "noble women" can think about is further enriching yourself.

Go to any college website and it is plain to see who they are catering too. The educational system and society at large has turned into a giant blue eye- brown eye experiment, with instead of eye color they use gender. Added to the fact that recent studies show that males are more susceptible to negative stereotypes. The sheer level of chauvinism from you women is just disgusting. Yous are constantly complaining about how women where treated, yet in no time you go around and do the same thing to us young guy's?

It is so bad that the male suicide rate in America is over 11%, heck even little boy's are being driven to suicide by the all girls club. And what are women of all ages doing? Cheering it along.

How the heck do you expect us to feel? Or do you think we don't have emotions? Hate begets hate, what is done to boy's and young men today will be done to young women and girls tomorrow. We aren't at that point yet, but as a society we are dangerously close. Women in the Western nations have sought out to make themselves the oppressor and the only duty the oppressed owe their oppressor is, well I am sure most of you know.

If you find my rhetoric "hostile" or against your sensibilities, good. Maybe it will wake you up to reality.

Because as it stands, Queen Victoria's words seem almost prophetic.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
The only time I enter into these debates about Womens rights is usually to throw out the evidence that women being equal in society is a traditional part of my culture, a part of my culture that has been lost for over 1,000 years, and I for one welcome the return of equality between the sexes

edit on 9/3/11 by thoughtsfull because: replace of with between

new topics

top topics

join