It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the USA Set Up By Racists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is a physical difference between the two, which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together on the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position. I have never said any thing to the contrary, but I hold that notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence -- the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man.I agree with Judge Douglas that he is not my equal in many respects, certainly not in color -- perhaps not in intellectual and moral endowments; but in the right to eat the bread without the leave of any body else which his own hand earns, he is my equal and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every other man.

Was this a sign of the times that they lived in, or do black people need an apology from the Government of the USA?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
**palmforehead**

Seriously?

I just do not have the energy today to make the popcorn to pass around.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Just remember back in time 1950-1970 the mexican laborers where invited without visa to work in the field,for years was an open practice.They had also contests call 'thewetback of the year', ahhh those were the times.Mainly California was the most popular place to come and just wave your hand to the inmigration officers in the USA SIDE.yes just like that.No papers,social security # just your 'contributional energy to work'.AND todays is total diffrent idea.Profiling is the rule.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Heronumber0

Anyone can claim they are owed an apology. Black citizens might as well expect an apology from their Ivory Coast brothers who sold them into slavery. Or from the Brits who pioneered the triangle trade and the Dutch as well.

How about the Native Americans, whose land was stolen?

There is plenty of blame to go around when you reach that far back.

In the present, I have served with many people of many ethnicities and races. Proudly. We all bleed the same color; red. We all have hopes and dreams. We all love someone.

We are all human. And we are all not perfect, then or now.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I wish I could agree with that and I know that times have changed. Thank God. However, do you know who made the statement in the OP? It was honest Abe Lincoln. If we are not watchful, then those times will return. We may not accept the theories of racial difference but, nevertheless, we could end up supporting the racist who hates Mexicans but needs the cheap labour to run his house/pool/garden etc... or to deny support to the Native Americans when they make a case to recover land they were cheated out of. Hate comes in many forms.
edit on 8/3/2011 by Heronumber0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Lincoln was hardly honest Abe.

That SOB surrounded the Maryland state house with the army, his general told the legislators that if they voted for secession they would not leave alive, but would be carried out on caissons.

Yeah, he was big supporter of the Constitution.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

A real great president. *Snort* I am glad Boothe shot his ass. Unlike Washington who could have been crowned, but refused, that SOB would have been a dictator.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Considering you don't give us a source, or even date for the quote, kind of hard to tell...don't you think? However, my guess is certainly product of the times.... It'd be hard to imagine someone in public office holding such an opinion (let alone voicing it) in modern times.

NM, you later gave the source.

SLAVERY was still in practice...so yeah, view of the times, man... (and not just a view in America either, of course). America wasn't alone in practicing this.
edit on 10-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

An interesting read dear sir, however it is my firm belief that here in the USA;

Somebody set up us the bomb.

top topics

join