It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Free Access to Canadian Science Journals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

No More Free Access to Canadian Science Journals

www.cbc.ca

The public has lost free online access to more than a dozen Canadian science journals as a result of the privatization of the National Research Council's government-owned publishing arm.

…Canadian granting councils (should)… require research funded with public money to be openly available.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca
www.cbc.ca
www.cbc.ca
www.cbc.ca

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scientists And Scientific Freedom Under Attack
SCI/TECH: Winds of Change: Science Goes Open Source
NEWS: NIH Bypasses Need for Open Access Legislation
Federal Research to (hopefully) become Open Access

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Even though our tax dollars fund scientific research, the results are protected by confidentiality agreements, Intellectual Property Rights laws and Patent Rights. "Confidential" research results include information about the dangerous effects of prescription drugs, for example. Many scientists say private ownership of scientific information blocks progress.

In October of 2004, the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) took the bull by the horns and made Open Access publication a condition of funding.

Now, Canada's so-called "Harper Government" has taken a big step backward.

Looks like burntheships is right again - Scientists And Scientific Freedom ARE Under Attack - internationally.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm not even sure what to say about this...

So your government taxes you - and gives it to researchers so they can profit from the 'confidential' 'trade secret' 'copy-written' research you paid for?

Corporate whores of the world unite!
edit on 8-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Welcome Canadian to NWO again were not asked if we minded they make it so it can never be change back
Time we started another government as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The PNAS is free open access. It is a US journal. Lot more publications available such as Nature and Science that may be more reliable, but you have to pay for Nature and Science. PNAS is open access.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Love the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) - and I do consider it to be a reliable journal. Why do you imply that it's not?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

That may be more reliable than the Canadian ones. Sorry my wording was misleading. I also have the entire 2009 collection of the PNAS (4.5GB) downloaded...I am making an archive for myslef. I also have the entire nature and science archives, including scientific american. It makes for good reading when there is no internet as emergency.
edit on 8-3-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Wow. Good idea. ...I learned long ago to copy and file, just because important info has such a nasty tendency to disappear down the memory hole - but haven't done anything quite so dramatic. ...Your approach is a whole new idea of "personal library."

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Haha thanks. Yea I have every single publication of the magazines in print from all the way in the 1800's. This is just my journal collection. My digital book collection is also comparable in size hehe. The reason for me doing this is if there is an internet outtage, you will want general knowledge at your hands you know. Collect what is interesting to you, your math, science, physics, medicine, fiction books and your journal magazines and make a giant library. My digital library is 300 GB large and still growing. I will never need it but it feels nice to have the most important scientific knowledge and discoveries of mankind at my fingertips in case I need a good reference for myself if I need an idea. Took me 5 years to make my collection here and there.

For instance look at this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was able to provide an article dating from the 1980's relevant to the subject. Showing that this knowledge is not new, it is just obscure.

Back issues published between the 1950s and December 2010 remain freely accessible online to Canadians.

You could start to make your own digital collection since you are canadian and you have access to the journals. You wouldn't want all that free knowledge disappearing..
edit on 8-3-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I'm not even sure what to say about this...

So your government taxes you - and gives it to researchers so they can profit from the 'confidential' 'trade secret' 'copy-written' research you paid for?

Corporate whores of the world unite!

Not just Canada. The USA has a long tradition of doing the same thing (taxing people and giving the money to researchers / corporations so they can profit from the 'confidential' 'trade secret' 'copy-written' research you/we paid for).

...The "Open Access Advocate" tag on my avatar dates back to when was still living in the land of my birth, and a lot of my old work on ATS addresses the issue in the US context.

top topics

join