It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koran Myths and Stories

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

Well if that's the case maybe you should change this from "Qur'an (not Koran) myths and stories" to "Revealed Books myths and stories" because I hate to break it to you, all of our books, muslim, christian, and jewish alike, are full of things that you and others would find hard to believe. There is a certain thing one has to have when practicing this religion thing, or even when believing in God with NO religion and it's called FAITH. The lack of that, usually results in atheists...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well, I for one, would like to say that this is exactly kind of crap that is holding our society back from the glorious heights it has the potential to reach... Threads like this and posts like almost every one on the 1st page. When you "think" that you have gained a deeper understanding of someone`s beliefs, a human being and close friend no less, your first reaction is to laugh and talk about how stupid it is? I got news for you and I`m sorry if you`re new here but it`s better you learn FAST, only "stupid" people use the word "stupid". Stupid is a blanket term for anything that doesn`t make sense, to you. Having a little trouble articulating your feelings about this particular belief? So now it`s just thrown in the "stupid" catagory while geniusboy/girl moves on to his/her next great acheivment in the advancement of the ignorance movement? And what is with all the LOL`s and giggly faces from other members? Are there that many new people here? Well dang I cannot post links from my phone, but I would definitely recommend all of you to look into ancient astronaut theory. You see, ancient texts were written by people doing their best to describe what they saw, so rather than laugh, try to put yourself in their position and try to figure out what it could have been that they were trying to explain. And if you believe in aliens, then you should know that the Qu`ran and Bible and many other ancient texts support your beliefs. Just because you don`t understand something, does not make it untrue or even opposing to your own beliefs. I HAVE Some (srry caps can`t use delete key) ideas that could explain this story, however I`m reluctant to share them here now... I wouldn`t want to be laughed at as you`ve all proven is your M.o. whenever you come across something your mind cannot comprehend. I Just hope someday we will be able to listen and communicate amongst eachother with an open mind and open heart. Don`t ever assume you know everything, or the reasons for everything. You run the risk of doing yourself and others a great disservice.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
stars for shooting satan in the butt

Q. 37: 6/10 ”We have indeed decked the lower heaven with beauty (in) the stars, (For beauty) and for guard against all obstinate rebellious evil spirits, (So) they should not strain their ears in the direction of the Exalted Assembly but be cast away from every side, Repulsed, for they are under a perpetual penalty, Except such as snatch away something by stealth, and they are pursued by a flaming fire, of piercing brightness.

SURA. 67: 5 “And we have, (from of old), adorned the lowest heaven with Lamps, and We have made such (Lamps) (as) missiles to drive away the Evil Ones, and have prepared for them the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.”

And this is another good one

SURA 18:83-86″ ” They ask you concerning DHUL-QARNAIN(two-horned). Say, “I will recite to you something of his story.” Truly We established his power on earth, and We gave him the ways and the means to all ends.And he followed a road Till, when HE(NOTE:Two-Horned) REACHED the SETTING-PLACE of the SUN, HE(NOTE:Two-Horned) FOUND it SETTING in a MUDDY SPRING, and found a people thereabout. We said:” Oh,DHUL-QARNAIN! Either punish or show them kindness.”"

Yep - the sun sets in a muddy pool

ah those wacky muslims

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

The setting place of the sun, is the west smart one. Rocket science? Naaa..

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by racasan

The setting place of the sun, is the west smart one. Rocket science? Naaa..

i have no idea what your saying - please try again

mean while
the-saudi.net...
a saudi web site - about half way down the page there's a link for an English translation of the koran
www.usc.edu...

018.086 YUSUFALI: Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: "O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness."
PICKTHAL: Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.
SHAKIR: Until when he reached the place where the sun set, he found it going down into a black sea, and found by it a people. We said: O Zulqarnain! either give them a chastisement or do them a benefit.

i assume an Arab would know if these are good translations of the koran or not - what with them speaking Arabic and all - hence why i went to a saudi site

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by badw0lf

Who says they believe this? It's most likely on "cute story" basis - like Lincoln and the cherry tree, or any other sort of common myth retained for entertainment or parable.

Only going by the OP boss!!

He says all muslims believe this is true because the Koran says it is so.

I was just sayin' !! oO

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Ok maybe I should change my wording. How about daft instead? The point of the matter is no matter what you believe in whatever religion you have to think with the rational head regarding 'daft' stories like that. How can the development of the human brain get any better if you are brain washed into believing silly stories like the one I mentioned.

Don't get me wrong they are a nice people. Like I said I work with them everyday. But their perception of reality is a little screwed up due to the 'daft' writings in their book. Just like in the bible with the stories of Jesus parting the red sea or walking on water etc. These stories are all basically symbolic of something else. Misinterpretations.

How can a developing human mind perceive the proper reality of what those stories mean if they are constantly bombarded with the wrong explanations?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Again, who are you, that you haven't even read the Qur'an and yet tell billions of Muslims that they, who have studied the Qur'an until the last verse, have misinterpred the word of God?

Shut up already, you're going too far. You're not a friend to them at all if you offend their beliefs. Can I call you a total idiot for believing in UFOs and be your friend at the same time?

Not that I do, I'm just trying to make a point here.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kemal

Again, who are you, that you haven't even read the Qur'an and yet tell billions of Muslims that they, who have studied the Qur'an until the last verse, have misinterpred the word of God?

I think its possible. But how can you say that before we have had even one Muslim, nevertheless one that has studied Quran to the last verse comment on this matter?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
one teeny tiny problem here – when the koran calls stars "lamps" hung in a lower heaven that can shoot satan in the ass or that the sun sets in a muddy pond or all the other dopey stuff in the book then how on earth can anyone think it was:

Originally posted by Kemal
the word of God?

if an entity did make this universe then why would it then make a book that contains the kinds of mistake found in the koran?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kemal

A shooting star is another name for a meteoroid that burns up as it passes through the Earth’s atmosphere. So, a shooting star isn’t a star at all.

Most of the shooting stars that we can see are known as meteoroids. These are objects as small as a piece of sand, and as large as a boulder. Smaller than a piece of sand, and astronomers call them interplanetary dust. If they’re larger than a boulder, astronomers call them asteroids.

A meteoroid becomes a meteor when it strikes the atmosphere and leaves a bright tail behind it. The bright line that we see in the sky is caused by the ram pressure of the meteoroid. It’s not actually caused by friction, as most people think.

When a meteoroid is larger, the streak in the sky is called a fireball or bolide. These can be bright, and leave a streak in the sky that can last for more than a minute. Some are so large they even make crackling noises as they pass through the atmosphere.

If any portion of the meteoroid actually survives its passage through the atmosphere, astronomers call them meteorites.

Some of the brightest and most popular meteor showers are the Leonids, the Geminids, and the Perseids. With some of these showers, you can see more than one meteor (or shooting star) each minute.

Hey Presto!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

What mistake?

"Until, when he reached the setting of the sun" means he followed a certain way till he reached the furthest land he could go from the west. As for reaching the setting of the sun in the sky, it is impossible.

"he found it set in a spring of murky water" means he (= Zul-Qarnain = Alexander the Great) saw the sun according to his vision setting in the ocean and this is the same with everyone ending to the shore seeing as if the sun sets inside it (i.e. the ocean).
edit on 04/06/2010 by Kemal because: www.call-to-monotheism.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kemal

I believe our American cousins would put it this way:

You’re trying to piddle on my leg and then tell me it’s raining

the koran says what its says and what it says is wrong - get over it

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

lol I guess the fact that the Qur'an stating that there is a barrier between salt and fresh ocean water was just a lucky guess by an illiterate?

If you are having trouble understanding that the place the sun sets is as far as one can see from his current position, I.E the HORIZON then I can't help you.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

and where does it say that about the water?

second line
edit on 9-3-2011 by racasan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
I wanted to share this piece of information with you all.

I was talking to a work colleague this morning regarding UFO's and Shooting Stars. I work in a muslim country and I'm from Scotland and an Athiest.

When discussing what shooting stars were with him he began to tell me what the Koran says they are.

He says that written in the Koran is the explanation of what they are is this: Shooting stars are the result of stars being thrown at Satan and Jinns that are trying to invade heaven. The stars are thrown at them to knock them down back to Earth. Of course my first answer to this was 'Are you kidding me?' He says all muslims believe this is true because the Koran says it is so. My answer to that was 'That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard.'

I was sure he was pulling my leg so I asked some other Muslim colleagues. Nope, same answer. They all believe this!

What in the hell is that book doing to those people? Can they not tell stupidity from truth?

Anyone like to comment on this?

Vicious, mean spirited and vile. That is what you are. You think that it is non-sensical so the people who believe are "Stupid."

Man I wish I was as smart as you. Then I could remind people EVERY day how stupid they are.

Or I could feel pity for you for being so disgusting.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

I apologise for the wrong choice of words. I don't mean any disrespect to Muslims, Christians etc. It's not their fault.

The fact of the matter is a Shooting Star is a meteor or asteroid bouncing off the earth's atmosphere. So why tell people it is something outlandish and fantastical?

Worshipping a deity like God and or Allah is all very well but there has to be a barrier on stories that are not realistic. Satan and God do not make this planet tick!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
reply to post by crmanager

I apologise for the wrong choice of words. I don't mean any disrespect to Muslims, Christians etc. It's not their fault.

The fact of the matter is a Shooting Star is a meteor or asteroid bouncing off the earth's atmosphere. So why tell people it is something outlandish and fantastical?

Worshipping a deity like God and or Allah is all very well but there has to be a barrier on stories that are not realistic. Satan and God do not make this planet tick!

But where did the meteors and asteroids come from? I suppose you are correct in saying that people need to see whats fact and whats fiction, we might know that asteroids are rocks floating in space which are attracted to each other, but does the story in Koran dispute that fact? I wouldn't know since I've never studied the matter, but to me it doesn't seem like the book is saying that asteroids are not rocks, its just saying that their god is using them to get rid off bad guys. Might not sound realistic, but maybe that's where they're coming from, maybe its not as stupid as it seems. Sort of like evolution, you need to know a about the topic to really understand it, there are people, regardless of religion, who say that Darwin is an idiot, to them it doesn't seem logical that a human and a piece of grass are even remotely related, let alone were created in random chemical reactions a long long time ago.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

There are lots of crazy things in the koran, more than can be named here. Whereas in the Bible, everything wrote down has a meaning either in the context of the passage, or later on in another book of the bible. Shooting stars attacking satan is sort of funny though, since "stars" are a type of angels in the Holy Bible.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by racasan

lol I guess the fact that the Qur'an stating that there is a barrier between salt and fresh ocean water was just a lucky guess by an illiterate?

If you are having trouble understanding that the place the sun sets is as far as one can see from his current position, I.E the HORIZON then I can't help you.

Not a lucky guess but something observed, haloclines require no technology to view and is the "barrier" you state and one of the scientific facts that Islam will claim proves the validity of the Qu'ran...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join