It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with linking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm having a problem with linking to site, and seeing others posting links I can see they are having this issue as well.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I am copy/pasting the links so I know they aren't wrong, but when I send my post it comes up with the code for the link including the url code. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
have you tried the "hyper link button" the little green globe button when you are posting a new reply or makeing a new thread

[edit on 19-7-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Can you give us an example of what it looks like when you try it?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yep this is odd i noticed this the other day with your link?

I copy and pasted your link in to my address bar and the site came up ok?

then i put it up on ATS and in my thread it worked fine, How odd

Ill have a word and see what i can find out

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I tried posting a really long URL in the [url ] tags today, and it did not work. So try to avoid several-line URLs.

Are you sure there is not a little 'pilot error' in the linking? Here is the proper syntax for a BBcode hyperlink:

[*url=http://www.google.com/]click here for Google[/url]

^^That would produce 'click here for Google'. Or:

[*url]google.com/[/url]

^^That would produce 'google.com'. (Be sure to omit the asterisks! I added them to make the tags display literally.)

[edit]Well, the [code ] tags do not work :-/[/edit]

[edit on 19-7-2004 by Jake_]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If they're really really long links, such as with some Yahoo news links, they don't format properly.

I'm not sure if that's what you're running into....a little more info would be helpful.

If it's the case of super-long URLs, try creating a TinyURL with the long link, and posting that here.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I've been using the little globe option for my linking and its the thing thats giving me a hard time. I will try again here :

Link to above top secret

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
See its working now. I don't understand, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not using unsually long urls, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong, most of the time I use the globe option and just copy and paste the urls. I don't see where I could be making a typing error.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I see that you typed a title for your URL, so you know that there are two windows that come up.....I dunno - is there a chance that in your previous posts you might have gone thru those too quickly and put the URL in the title box and vice versa?

If you have problems again, try just copying and pasting the URL in the the text field directly and if people want to go to the site they can cop and paste it in the address field

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have noticed that sometimes the url content messes up the bbcode, especially in real complex and ugly looking url's.

In these cases I experienced I just make sure to add a space immediatly following the url but before the (])closing bracket and it seems to work then.

example:

[ url=http://some.newslink.com/then_all-the?other_stuff.htm(putspacehere)]link text[ /url]

[edit on 19-7-2004 by smirkley]

top topics

join