It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange life signs found on meteorites - NASA scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
not sure if this is already posted , but this announcement just came in on the 7th

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A NASA scientist reports detecting tiny fossilized bacteria on three meteorites, and maintains these microscopic life forms are not native to Earth. If confirmed, this research would suggest life in the universe is widespread and life on Earth may have come from elsewhere in the solar system, riding to our planet on space rocks like comets, moons and other astral bodies. The study, published online late Friday in The Journal of Cosmology, is considered so controversial it is accompanied by a statement from the journal's editor seeking other scientific comment, which is to be published starting on Monday. The central claim of the study by astrobiologist Richard Hoover is that there is evidence of microfossils similar to cyanobacteria -- blue-green algae, also known as pond scum -- on the freshly fractured inner surfaces of three meteorites.

link Yahoo Malaysia

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
There are already plenty of threads, thank you for posting...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
So I get my comments pulled, and fined points....and the OP gets nothing for violating a basic rule, which is using the search before posting.

Gimmie a break mods.....why don't you do your job and close this massively redundant thread. You spent time yanking my comments off here, so you have the time.

Or explain why you don't close threads like this.

Awful...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I have to say that the search function is sometimes totally useless, and that IS with putting in the relevant words.
So I can understand how it happens, happened to me. Twice Im sorry to say.

So Mods...is there some way to improve the search function? It seems many are failing the test of getting it right!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by annella

Umm its not very hard to hop in a board and read the first like 20 post titles etc and see if there is one if it was just recent news in the past day or 2. I understand if you find something old it might not be on the first few pages of a board, but a day or 2 you will see it if its here.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
S & F for the effort.. and yes the search function is very bad on ATS

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

I agree, I do that. The two threads I asked to have removed were not recent occurrences.
I am gonna be so neurotic about starting a thread from now on....and maybe thats a good thing!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
So I get my comments pulled, and fined points....and the OP gets nothing for violating a basic rule, which is using the search before posting.

Gimmie a break mods.....why don't you do your job and close this massively redundant thread. You spent time yanking my comments off here, so you have the time.

Awful...

Someone is getting a little disrespectful to the Mods. They're doing what they see is fit, and obviously, this was seen fit to them. Respect their decision or just stop posting.

Simple as that.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by annella
I have to say that the search function is sometimes totally useless, and that IS with putting in the relevant words.

Originally posted by nagabonar
S & F for the effort.. and yes the search function is very bad on ATS

Originally posted by ExCloud
Umm its not very hard to hop in a board and read the first like 20 post titles etc
Actually most of the threads I've seen on this topic have been in space exploration or science, so checking the alien forum wouldn't even show all the threads.

But the ATS search function is actually the Google search function. One tip I've learned is, the fewer words you type in search, the better. In this case I only typed in 2 words, NASA life

Try those two words and you can't miss it.

If you type in "NASA finds alien life" then you may miss a duplicate thread if it's titled "NASA finds extraterrestrial life" because Google isn't smart enough yet to know that alien and extraterrestrial mean the same thing, though it may evolve to that point someday.

You do get more unrelated results by typing in fewer words, but you then do find the threads you're looking for also, so that's really one secret to successful searches before starting a new thread.

In this case it's got to be hard to miss no matter what you type in the search box, there are so many threads.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skate

Awful...

Someone is getting a little disrespectful to the Mods. They're doing what they see is fit, and obviously, this was seen fit to them. Respect their decision or just stop posting.

Simple as that.

Problem is, nobody knows why they leave threads open like this. If they explained the reasoning, I'd be ok w it. But instead I get my posts removed without a peep of an explanation.

I wont be told what to do by you pal.... Respect their decision, or stop posting huh? So, respect the job the govt is doing now, or move out of the country.....I know your type, you sheeple.

Why dont you just follow the herd and don't ask questions pal....seem like you would fit right in over in N Korea.

"simple as that"

edit on 7-3-2011 by amongus because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2011 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
For the most part the search does its job, I've found most things quite quickly, I can sympathise with the poster who got his comments yanked as to be honest the OP didn't search, they just posted the thread.

And also, despite yanking the other posters comments the thread is still wide open, it really should have been shut and from the RSS I see there's another at least 2 new threads re the same story.

Also the subject name is misleading, the scientist CLAIMS he has found microbes so technically the thread name should have been Strange life signs MAY have been found on a meteorite...

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

well, on the first sentence of my posting, i said, not sure if this has been posted. i have search the top topic and i did not find any similar posting. as mentioned i got this info this morning..

if it has already been posted, then close it..i support that.

thanks

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Check the titles of the threads on the first page! It takes less than a minute. Not just getting at the creator of this thread, I'm talking about everyone that made an extra thread. Just check the titles.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Problem is, nobody knows why they leave threads open like this. If they explained the reasoning, I'd be ok w it. But instead I get my posts removed without a peep of an explanation.

Well a simple here is an existing thread with a link to that thread is usually the best way to handle it. Getting nasty usually backfires

One in breaking News 2 in UFO area

Exclusive: NASA Scientist Claims Evidence of Alien Life on Meteorite
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Exclusive: NASA Scientist Claims Evidence of Alien Life on Meteorite

NASA Offers Proof Of Alien Life

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc

Also the subject name is misleading, the scientist CLAIMS he has found microbes so technically the thread name should have been Strange life signs MAY have been found on a meteorite...

You might try and read the T&C because the T&C require us to use the ORIGINAL TITLE of the article we are quoting. If you have a beef with the title, contact the news source instead of attacking the OP. I can't believe the venom shown in this thread...

:shk:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

You might try and read the T&C because the T&C require us to use the ORIGINAL TITLE of the article we are quoting. If you have a beef with the title, contact the news source instead of attacking the OP. I can't believe the venom shown in this thread...

:shk:

I must admit I wasn't aware of that part of the T&C but as most people create their own titles a lot of the time I thought it was down to the OP. My mistake but as I say a great deal of thread names are user created and I've never heard of this T&C being brought up before.

As for venom, I've not showed venom, I've expressed my dismay that the OP failed to check properly for existing threads which there clearly were and that despite the mods knocking the follow up poster twice and yet failed to close the thread as it should have been.

I thought that as much as anyone YOU would be supportive of the need to clean up the forums, weeding out duplicate threads and advising the posters of the need to search properly or in some cases to bother to search in the first place.

For the most part my input is accurate, on topic and normally has extra info to add or to give a valid viewpoint, I have no ego to boost and aim to provide posts that one day will be as informed as yours, till then I'll bemoan the incorrect usage of the forums from time to time.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

I thought that as much as anyone YOU would be supportive of the need to clean up the forums, weeding out duplicate threads and advising the posters of the need to search properly or in some cases to bother to search in the first place.

I am... I alert the mods that they exist... but usually Gortex beats me to it
ATS search sucks unless you ask the right question, even then I have had issues finding my own threads. Regular google search with ATS added works great though

Besides finding fossil alien bugs on incoming space rocks is kinda big news that everyone wants in on

edit on 7-3-2011 by zorgon because: Chadwickus talked to ArMaP to convince Phage to do it, even though Aliens abducted him

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Besides finding fossil alien bugs on incoming space rocks is kinda big news that everyone wants in on

edit on 7-3-2011 by zorgon because: Chadwickus talked to ArMaP to convince Phage to do it, even though Aliens abducted him

Don't they just, looks like this story may reach the top 10 most non searched and duplicated thread ever...

I think I need to unpack my Uzi 9mm and my phased plasma rifle in the 40W range.

new topics

top topics

join