It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone's got a clue what this is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Came falling out of the sky and went straight through a roof, somewhere in the Netherlands.

Weight: 3 kg
Dimensions: 5 x 7 cm

On the news they said it could be part of an airplane, which I find hard to believe or space debris.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, mods - feel free to move the topic.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Well to me it looks like a piece of meteorite perhaps.

It is also rather heavy for the dimensions given.

Vvv

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Interesting, would like to hear more details about this.

To your knowledge, has this been tested already? The results should be somewhere in the interweb.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
not a meteorite...very odd however

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
elenin? nibiru? charlie sheen's crack rocks?

looks cool either way though.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

It is also rather heavy for the dimensions given.

That's an understatement.

reply to post by ThinkingCap

No, it only happened the other day. The police has taken it for testing...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
If that weighs 3Kg then I'd be wanting a geiger counter reading before I went near it. Also it must have made one MF crater when it hit. Pity there's no picture of that.Looks as if it was mechanical at some point in its past.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
In the second picture, at the top of this "meteorite/frozen space poop" - I notice how it reflects off the light, similar to something like glass.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The second picture - on the left side of the object is a ridge that looks like the manufacturing remains of a seam, when an object is cast from molten metal.
edit on 5-3-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It's a bolide.

the 'milled' looking sections are from repeated heating and cooling as the lump of ferrous metal moves through the atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

are bolides that heavy?
2nd

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just a question, how did you get these pictures? I saw it on the news yesterday and I find this very interesting!

I thought we would never hear of it again, if it wasn't for this thread.

BTW I am new hey

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The dimensions must be in inches instead of centimeters.

I think I see a bearded gnome in the second pic.

edit on 5-3-2011 by gypsychology909 because: not first pic

If I didn't know any better and if I was a wagering man, I'd bet this went through a Sheen residence due to what appears to be adhering to the object as clearly seen in the first 2 pictures.

edit on 5-3-2011 by gypsychology909 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
On first 2 pictures it looks kinda like chocolate. Nom nom nom
edit on 5-3-2011 by Farnhold because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
That's a Cannon Ball Sinker or an actual Antique Cannon Ball.It was made in a mold.You can see the crease line in picture. Led is very heavy but it differs from steel because it will easily deform from a heavy impact.I had one about that size.Mine was a Cannon Ball Sinker and it went to the recycler a year ago so that's not mine.That one looks like it's either painted or has been around a long time and developed a discoloration. When you scrape away lead it will get shiny.You could even buff it and get a chrome like shininess.

It could have been used on a plane during maintenance. Not sure what they would use it for though.Could have been purposely been dropped from a small aircraft.

Some one may have shot it in to the sky with a catapult or a cannon. A remote control model airplane could have also dropped it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6df552dd0be.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ba8b05d4752.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae53098a2641.png[/atsimg]

edit on 5-3-2011 by amy2x because: Added picture and some text

edit on 5-3-2011 by amy2x because: Add picture.Add text.

edit on 5-3-2011 by amy2x because: correct spelling

edit on 5-3-2011 by amy2x because: Add picture

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by gypsychology909

If you look at the first picture, you will see that the object is sat atop what looks like an as yet unmarked evidence bag, or plastic ziplock bag of some sort. You will notice that underneath the suspect object, there are words printed on the bag. If you look at the size of the letters, the font there, and then look at the object, you will see that its perfectly possible that the object is indeed 5x7cm as reported. Equaly of course, it could be said that the font might be large, but Im inclined to think otherwise.
Regarding getting a geiger reading on the object before touching it , the Washington University in St Louis reckon that only thorium rich lunar meteorites like SaU 169 are slightly radioactive when tested with a counter.

meteorites.wustl.edu...

Just for good senses sake , I thought I would slap in a reference for the SaU 169 object, so that folks can refresh on the subject , should it have escaped thier memory or attention, so here it is.

www.earthsci.unibe.ch...

If you look at all the links (after choosing your language from the menu) this site will offer a pretty good idea of what the SaU 169 meteorite was, and what it meant in terms of changing perceptions and confirming theories in the field of meteoritics.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
If that's a bolide or meteorite, itsn't that worth a *tonne* of money?

Space poop, not so much.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by amy2x
Some one may have shot it in to the sky with a catapult or a cannon.
Good post and observant to notice the "seam", that's the first thing I noticed too.

I'm not sure if it's a cannonball, but I agree it's a possibility. What I am pretty sure of is, it wasn't fired out of a cannon, not with that large seam intact. Most of the other methods you proposed for its origin are somewhat plausible, if a little strange. But having something like that fall is strange in itself so I suppose a strange explanation isn't uncalled for!

If it is extraterrestrial I'd have no idea
A. how that seam would form and
B. how that seam would survive a trip through the atmosphere, I would have expected the seam to have burned away even if the rest didn't.

So based on that it does seem more likely to have a terrestrial origin.

What was the source of the pics in the OP? A source should have been posted with the pics, but wasn't.

new topics

top topics

join