It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Female police chief, 20, flees Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

A 20-year-old college student who was hired as police chief of a Mexican border town has reportedly sought asylum in the United States.

Marisol Valles Garcia "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them," the relative told AFP news service on Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity. She "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
you all remember this story right?
Valles Garcia a 20 year old recent college student was the only person to apply for the job and got it...

It made national news here and in Mexico because it officially made her the youngest police chief ever... Mexico was so proud holding her up as the wave of the future and the first steps in cleaning up the mess they have down there...

The town she lives in denies this report and claims Garcia was expected back at work on Monday after taking some time off to deal with family matters....

guess we wait until Monday to find out right?

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
She's definitely the bravest person in recent times. Regardless of her motive, the fact she took the job is a testament of her courage. If true she is seeking asylum, then Obama should jump on this and help her.

I'm rather surprised this isn't getting more comments, stars, and flags.
edit on 4-3-2011 by DevilJin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

Dont forget... current US immigration practices wont let her stay here.... unless she brought with her a ton of cash... and of course her toddler...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Thats pretty crazy. I very much doubt that the police in Mexico have the power to deal with the gangs effectively anyway. A shoot on sight policy should be enacted if they want rid of the problem.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I remember this story and I'm not surprised. The problem is too big for one person to handle. Regardless if it's a 40 year old police veteran or a 20 year old college student. To be honest, I was expecting her to turn up dead.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I thought I heard she was gunned down shortly after taking the position. I guess it must have been somebody else. I'll have to look into that. Anyway, I say she should be welcome here. But that's just me I suppose...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
While I applaud this woman's courage in taking this position, why should we automatically provide her asylum? We certainly can't grant asylum to all Mexican officials and police that receive death threats. Perhaps I am missing something that would make her story somewhat spectacular and therefore worthy of asylum? She certainly knew the risks in taking this position to begin with I would imagine.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
wow, cant believe I have not heard this story yet. This is craziness, what is this world coming to. 20 year old student police chief. I've got more experience, and schooling in military, and law enforcement than this girl will probably ever have in her life, and still no where near the experience to be a police chief IMHO. Not sure if this girl knows what she is getting herself into. Wonder why none of the other more experienced officers didnt step up to the plate. Kinda makes me think their a bunch of cowards if they are gonna let a 20 year old female student take charge of them. And they get what they deserve, and have no right to complain when something goes wrong on her watch. Not because I think she isnt smart enough for the position, but it just comes down to a matter of experience. I give her all the credit in the world for stepping up to such a huge responsibility. She has definitely has my respect for being a warrior, and trying to bring law in a lawless land.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

No that was another lady Police Chief she was like in her mid 30's ????
still there is yet a third lady missing

Erika Gandara, the 28-year-old police chief of nearby Guadalupe, was kidnapped last December, and her fate remains unknown.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I remember the story...

Think her excuse is legit?
I wonder if she does come back will there be any repercussions?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Dont you remember what it was like to be 20??
your immortal, bulletproof, gonna change the world!!!!

Well it might be she got a lesson in real life and had to grow up real F'en fast...
if she's smart she grabbed up her baby and headed out the door as fast as can...

it's not her fault either... they should have put someone in there old enough and experienced to deal with daily death threats and kidnappings....someone like you or me, folks who happily shot back

edit on 4-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

www.msnbc.msn.com

A 20-year-old college student who was hired as police chief of a Mexican border town has reportedly sought asylum in the United States.

Marisol Valles Garcia "received death threats from a criminal group that wanted to force her to work for them," the relative told AFP news service on Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity. She "went to the United States along with two relatives and will seek asylum."

Marisol V. Garcia is a total cutie, when I first heard about her I was scared for her life as we all know whats been going on down there even before the drug war started, women were getting killed around Juarez, Mexico. I hope she really has pulled herself away from all the garbage happening down there.

edit on 4-3-2011 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

No that was another lady Police Chief she was like in her mid 30's ????
still there is yet a third lady missing

Erika Gandara, the 28-year-old police chief of nearby Guadalupe, was kidnapped last December, and her fate remains unknown.

Aha. That explains it. Thought I had one of those freaky time slip thingies. Haha.
And the violence continues...

top topics

join