It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next year, people around the world will be able to watch a VENUS transit with their own eyes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
blogs.nationalgeographic.com...

Due to its slightly tilted orbit with respect to Earth's, Venus crosses between Earth and the sun on an oddly spaced cycle.

Transits come in pairs spaced eight years apart, but the time between pairs is 122 years, then 105 years. Due to this pattern, only six Venus transits have been seen since the invention of the telescope.

A Venus transit in 2004 was the first of a pair. Before that, the most recent transit had been in 1882—which means no living people on Earth had seen a Venus transit when the 2004 event occurred.

The 2004 Venus transit, as seen by NASA's GOES satellite.

The next one will happen in June 2012, and it'll be visible from only certain parts of the globe (see map).

[UPDATE: For people on the Americas able to see the transit, you'll be looking in the evening hours of June 5. Viewers in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia will be watching the morning of June 6. Sky-watchers who want to see the whole transit from start to finish need to be in eastern Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, the Philippines, China, Korea, Japan, the western Pacific islands, Hawaii, Russia, Alaska, and northwest Canada.

When it ends, there won't be another Venus transit until 2117.

Interesting times. YES.

So do YOU feel there will be any effects from the transit?
edit on 3/3/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to it.
Can you post this again, say...May next year?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Awesome! I love stories like this.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I will do my best to. And thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Why would there be any effects? Was there the last time?

It'll be nice to see, if I'm west enough.

edit on 3-3-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Me to! Will be checking SOHO and any EA related changes around then. Thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well with the solar activity being up with SOL/sun and a celestial body getting near another celestial body. Makes me wonder. As I do feel celestial bodies influence each other. Thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

NO [ none of any consequence - see below ] , do YOU ?????????? and if so - why ?

the only ` fall-out ` from the transit that i predict will be its miss-use by hoaxers , frauds , scaremongerers , doom-sauyers and other idiots who will claim that it will herald " calamity "

my evidence for this - remember may 5th 2000

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I will not be looking at it with my eyes.

Venus will only cover like 1% or less of the sun's visible surface correct?

So that could potentially blind me.

Instead if I have the opportunity, I will use a telescope with light filters.

Hehe, picking the nits.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by snowspirit

Well with the solar activity being up with SOL/sun and a celestial body getting near another celestial body. Makes me wonder. As I do feel celestial bodies influence each other. Thanks

Makes perfect sense.
Venus. The goddess of love and beauty

edit on 3-3-2011 by flymetothemoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
do YOU ??????????

not sure...
Thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well thank you all for the contributions to the thread. As many on ATS who may have noticed I am somewhat drawn to VENUS it is a planet that guides me astrologically in relation to my birth and astrological sign. [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/78fb91ca42f1.gif[/atsimg] Ontop of that I take interest in celestial movements and influences so I felt it would be something to share. Take care ALL and thanks again. Any others who wish to add feel free I will check back later and see if anything new is presented.
Until then Peace and be well.
VENUS

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The last solar tansit of Venus in this century. You will need a telescope and a solar filter to watch it. Never look at the Sun with unprotected eyes!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

LOL I failed already as I do stare direct into it somedays. Thanks for the warning.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If it is a perfectly aligned alignment, will we then be passing through the shadow of Venus? I wonder how it will effect day light if at all? Will the sky darken or dim? Anyone know? I'll be pleased just to witness the event in my lifetime.

Edit: I guess the last one didn't have an effect??? Yeah I missed it, didn't even realized it happened before in 2004... at least I get to witness this one! I'm still curious as to the effects of light on earth if there was a perfect Venus eclipse of the sun.
edit on 3-3-2011 by ForestForager because: more registered

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
PHAGE..my cyber crush LOL.....your back!...Thank goodness. Now stop lurking and get some of these threads in perspective which will probably take you months...LOL no but seriously it's been abslutely boring without you around...yay!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

An off the cuff thought. I have seen several threads referring to disappearing sunspots. I wonder if its possible these missing sunspots bight be large asteroids transiting in front of the sun. One of the main reasons we know little about smaller objects near the sun is because of the sun itself. New technology is slowly plugging that issue...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I published a thread about this very subject last year.
The transition will be spectacular, indeed.
The Transition of Venus Over the Sun in 2012
Very important date to some cultures...

Me, I think it will be a good time to build a Solar Filter.

edit on 3-3-2011 by havok because: Added time frame

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Don't have a 2012 calender yet.. but I'm sure someone will remind me before it happenes.

And it will feel Awesome!

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thats verry cool to see, we rarely see live footage of planets moving in realy time, but yet agen it might no be venus...? could be something more taboo?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join