It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe the Earth is expanding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I thought about this for awhile.
I work on elevators.
Elevators ride up and down on a set of rail,like tracks on a train.
We generally have a tolerance of
1/4 in. or less.
Now in the last couple of weeks,
I have had trouble calls where these
tolerances were compromised,
causing me to make adjustments.
And not just one elevator,not just one building.
But several .
After a building has been built,over time we have
to make adjustments to these elevators cause of buildings
settling.
But all of these buildings have been around
for 20 to 50 years.
Just odd that all of a sudden things are moving.

Here in Louisville,KY

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
There is a nice video about the theory of the earth expanding over the millions of years, its really interesting but i forget what its called

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Not good... there has been a lot of activity along the New Madrid fault, and it's likely that what you're seeing is a byproduct of that movement.

Just based on the increase in activity, I would say that a big quake in that region is to be expected soon.

As far as the earth expanding, I would prefer to use the word "adjusting".

It's no secret that the magnetic north pole has been moving faster than ever before just in the last few years, and if the magnetic north is moving, it means the core in the middle is moving, which also means the entire magnetic field is moving. The tectonic plates will eventually need to compensate for the change in the direction of the magnetic field and core of the earth.

Think of this... the earth is peppered with deposits of metals, some of which are very magnetic. When the magnetic strength of the earth changes, what do people think happens to those magnetic deposits? They are attached to the earth itself, embedded in mountains.... so very slowly, but surely, the tectonic plates will try to move and "follow" the movement of the magnetic field.

S&F for bringing this to the forum.

~Namaste
edit on 2-3-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
there is a thread here that you may find interesting as it has a whole lot do with the earth expanding and alot more

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Oh,and I must add that most buildings,they settle after the
first couple of years,then they pretty much hold there position.
We have means to allow for this,but not for 50 years.
So something must be going on.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I clicked on this thread expecting to read something entirely different. I believe the people over at the Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas thread would be very interested in what you have said.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

sNf4u

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Yes,ask your elevator techs if they have noticed any thing different.
Cause our stuff doesn't move!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Based on your post I wonder if when they make their adjustments if they need to do it by the course of the earths new coordinates? Would the changes affect elevators much the same as the airports needing to re paint their runways to true north?

Very interesting I have a friend whos dad has been an elevator inspector for over 40 years I will try to give him a call to see what he has to say.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The Earth is expanding...

And it's destined to become a star!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Based on your post I wonder if when they make their adjustments if they need to do it by the course of the earths new coordinates? Would the changes affect elevators much the same as the airports needing to re paint their runways to true north?

Very interesting I have a friend whos dad has been an elevator inspector for over 40 years I will try to give him a call to see what he has to say.

No,it would have to be cause to soil or bedrock has physically moved,not due to the geomagnetic field.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
And the movement I'm talking about is 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.
Not much,but enough to cause problems.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
And because we run around so much,sometimes you don't correlate(sp?)
the problem ,we sometimes miss the big picture.
Say I get a call on an elevator,I have to adjust the door lock,week later,get another call,have to
adjust another door lock.And so on.
When we install an elevator,there is a fomula we use for height of building versus how much settling will
occur.And we have allowences for that.But after 5 years,they have pretty muched settled.
Now we also have in place earthquake sensors for elevators,depending on code and
the area,that will shutdown an elevator during a quake.
So,just saying,the business I'm in,I think I would know if something with the earth is
going on.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Funny how you give this as your theory based on some personal observations.When somebody already started a thread on this very subject in the last 24hrs .I am sure you are familiar with it , I suggest you return to that thread and put forward your thoughTS there instead of starting another thread for credits and wasting server space .www.abovetopsecret.com... Your observations are valid and this subject is quite valid .
edit on 2-3-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
Funny how you give this as your theory based on some personal observations.When somebody already started a thread on this very subject in the last 24hrs .I am sure you are familiar with it , I suggest you return to that thread and put forward your thoughTS there instead of starting another thread for credits and wasting server space .www.abovetopsecret.com... Your observations are valid and this subject is quite valid .

Oh,ok,sorry
Didn't mean to step on any toes.
I bow down to you in shame.
Did not know my place.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Oh,that thread!
Really,didn't even read it cause,well never mind.
I just saw or heard something about expanding earth and I could have posted earthquake related
or earths crust upheaval or something.Sorry.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

And I posted on their thread that I apologized for if I might have having starting a thread when they have also done.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So,today got together with some of my work buddies and ask them if they had any unsual problems other than the norm wear and tear.
Slowly there stories emerge of having to make adjustments here and there,and just chaulked
it up as wear and never gave it another thought.
One was,yes I thought it was weird that I had to adjust most of the door locks,
or the guides on the elevator look brand new but I had to adjust them.
And so on.
So now they are aware of something going on and plan on keeping a closer I on things.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What you are seeing is likely a combination of several factors none of which have anything to do with an expanding earth.

All elevators which operate over more than a couple of floors are suspended on cables, CABLES STRETCH over time and need to be adjusted.
The same cable roll over what are called sheaves, or pulleys, the root diameter of the sheave decreases with wear and needs to be adjusted.

and as mentiuoned building settled, but almost are modern buildings are steel framed and they wont sag withing the frame work, if they did they would fall apart.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
What you are seeing is likely a combination of several factors none of which have anything to do with an expanding earth.

All elevators which operate over more than a couple of floors are suspended on cables, CABLES STRETCH over time and need to be adjusted.
The same cable roll over what are called sheaves, or pulleys, the root diameter of the sheave decreases with wear and needs to be adjusted.

and as mentiuoned building settled, but almost are modern buildings are steel framed and they wont sag withing the frame work, if they did they would fall apart.

I'm talking about a horizontal shift not a verticle shift. As if one side of the building is sinking or rising,like twisting .and I'm talking about 1/16 of an inch maybe an 1/8 over 100 + feet.
Our cables can stretch a foot or more in a year,and it doesn't effect the operation as far as leveling and such.
Eventually the counterweight will start hitting the buffer in the pit,then we just go and shorten the cables.
So,what elevator company do you work for?
Haven't had a problem with floor levels

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Huh, a twist in the building? I would say that points to imperfect site prep, the site's foundation is shifting because of a variance in compaction of the site soils, or if the building was built on bed rock then fractures in the rock could be allowing the building to settle at different rates.
My old house was a perfect example of that, it was built on type of local rock called hard pan. Hard pan is a sedimentary layer that can vary from a few inches to several feet thick. Its mostly couple feet thick where the house was built, but at the NW corner of the property it was only a couple inches thick and allowed that corner of the foundation to settle more than the rest of the house, causing cracks in the foundation and walls.
Dont work for an elevator company, i work in industrial service and manufacturing, although I have made elevator parts in the past.
Still dont think the earth is growing in size enough to cause the situation you describe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join