It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create 'Cyborg' DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I did a search and looked to see if this was posted but couldn't find any thread about it. If it was already posted please mods remove.

A group of researchers in Denmark is working on creating something entirely new on this planet – lifeforms that contain an improved version of the double-helix DNA. They are, for all intents and purposes, seeking to create stable, triple-helix deoxyribonucleic acid.

Since the acid was first discovered, experts have known that it features two strands, which dance around each other and form a distinctive, double-helix structure. All complex organisms contain DNA, and all of them feature variations of this configuration.

This research group "wants to add a third peptide nucleic acid (PNA) strand to the two DNA strands that already exist in all organisms."

They want to add this PNA strand, which in fact so far they need to add two PNA strands in order to force one DNA strand out of the structure.

According to the scientists these PNA strands would help cure, or eradicate many illnesses by blocking the genes in the DNA strand which can cause such illnesses, including particular forms of cancer.

The only problem is that the PNA strands are soluble in water, which means they cannot survive in a human body.

But if these scientists find a solution for this problem it could mean the cure of many illnesses which are plaguing mankind.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i'm interested in this, do you have the links for this article? this seems like another approach than stem cell research towards treating disease.

i don't like it when there is no supportive link to corroborate the thread...that being said i looked it up myself. i don't know if this was the link you had in mind, but it was at the top of my google search.here it is for everyone else:
news.softpedia.com...

edit on 063131p://2011-03-02T18:18:22-06:00201103 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

According to the scientists these PNA strands would help cure, or eradicate many illnesses by blocking the genes in the DNA strand which can cause such illnesses, including particular forms of cancer.

i do have a question, what other recessive genes that may be beneficial to our overall health that may be blocked? or is the process able to restrict latent mental processes in our brains like telepathy and clairvoyance?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Great find even though you didn't give a reference, but my question is how long would it be for anything like this to be widely available for the general population? I'd like to bet it wouldn't happen in our lifetime and I would also think that something messing with our very genetic structure could also hold massive complications further down the line. I mean many people don't like eating genetically modified food but your ok to be genetically modified yourself?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Genetic modification of the human species is inevitable, and it will be happening sooner than you think imo. I also think genetic modification will tie in with the merging of man and machine, genetic tinkering will undoubtedly allow our biology to be more compatible with such things. So imo it is a necessary step, one which has many possible negative repercussions...but we didn't get to where we are now by playing it safe, we can either die out from our lack of pushing the boundaries or die out trying to push them in the end. The earth and universe is not a hospitable place, we need to try and stay one step ahead as much as possible if our species is to survive. Genetic modification is just one of these steps imo.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
i want to find for corroborative evidence of this news article so i looked up the university of copenhagen news link here:

news.ku.dk...

i still can't find a reference to this story but i will keep looking....

edit on 073131p://2011-03-02T19:01:09-06:00201103 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

well i have looked and searched all over the university of copenhagen research dept, and their news releases, lots of interesting subjects including one on teleportation, but thats another thread... i still cannot find any thing relating to this story. even after searching using multiple terms and phrases.... until i can see the actual research items from the university then maybe it didn't happen...
edit on 073131p://2011-03-02T19:02:17-06:00201103 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

edit on 073131p://2011-03-02T19:06:38-06:00201103 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
My bad, I thought I posted the link. Here is where I found it which another member gave.

news.softpedia.com...

I found some other sources but the story seems to be from 2010.

April 27, 2010
NextGen Triple-Helix DNA -It Could be Scary!
Gene Instead of a single PNA strand joining into the genetic party, two PNAs would muscle out one of the existing strands and create a region of two-thirds artificial triple-tagged helix. The displaced DNA would hang loose outside this region, forming a "p-loop" which has since been found to speed up replication of the structure. Also, the PNA-DNA bonds are stronger than the originals.

To recap: you have artificial cyber-genetics with capabilities beyond those of weak organics, they're stronger, and they can replicate faster. It's clear that this entire branch of science has escaped from a movie somehow, a conclusion strengthened by the fact that the PNA has a ridiculous weakness: water. Yes, just like Signs. No, we don't think it's on purpose.

Inside a squishy organic creature isn't a great place for chemicals that don't like water, and any PNA in a living organism is rapidly excreted - but not too rapidly for it to have effects. PNA has already been used to cure muscular dystrophy in lab animals, meaning that even without a chemical raincoat (which scientists are already working on) it's a powerful tool for controlling the very code of creation.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

The following two are from 2008.

Triple Helix: Designing a New Molecule of Life

Peptide nucleic acid (gold) readily enters DNAs major groove to form triple-stranded and other structures with DNA, allowing it to modify the activity of genes in new ways. Jean-Francois Podevin Key Concepts A synthetic molecule called peptide nucleic acid (PNA) combines the information-storage properties of DNA with the chemical stability of a proteinlike backbone. Drugs based on PNA would achieve therapeutic effects by binding to specific base sequences of DNA or RNA, repressing or promoting the corresponding gene. Some researchers working to construct artificial life-forms out of mixtures of chemicals are also considering PNA as a useful...

article.wn.com...

Triple Helix: Designing a New Molecule of Life
Peptide nucleic acid, a synthetic hybrid of protein and DNA, could form the basis of a new class of drugs—and of artificial life unlike anything found in nature
A synthetic molecule called peptide nucleic acid (PNA) combines the information-storage properties of DNA with the chemical stability of a proteinlike backbone.
Drugs based on PNA would achieve therapeutic effects by binding to specific base sequences of DNA or RNA, repressing or promoting the corresponding gene.
Some researchers working to construct artificial life-forms out of mixtures of chemicals are also considering PNA as a useful ingredient for their designs.
PNA-like molecules may have served as primordial genetic material at the origin of life.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Some other sources which seem to back this.

www.pnas.org...

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Another source I found from Stanford University which has even phone numbers to ask some members of an international team of researchers working on something similar.

news.stanford.edu...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Triple Helix?? Intresting...

The reason I say this goes back a few years to this:

Chilbolton Crop Glyph

To those not familiar, way back in the day a message was sent from the Aricebo observatory in Peurto Rico. The message sent contained basic information about the location of our solar system, the bais numbering system, the planet we lived on, population, and our DNA, along with other info.

Supposedly we received a response, however people claim its a hoax. The message sent back had changes from the origional method that showed a different star system, multiple inhabited planets, larger population, and a DNA helix that was triple, instead of double.

Message we sent:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f892886f553e.jpg[/atsimg]

Message received:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6bdcd217780.jpg[/atsimg]

Comparison
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21ae1fbe3336.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3-3-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join