It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Article: 2012 Apocalypse -- Postponed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

A new critique, published as a chapter in the new textbook "Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World" (Oxbow Books, 2010), argues that the accepted conversions of dates from Mayan to the modern calendar may be off by as much as 50 or 100 years. That would throw the supposed and overhyped 2012 apocalypse off by decades and cast into doubt the dates of historical Mayan events. (The doomsday worries are based on the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, much as our year ends on Dec. 31.)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Just before starting to google myself, I would like to know if anyone familiar with these conversion techniques could come up with an easy-to-understand explanation, as to how and why a certain perspective (on this) would be true?

Thank you in advance, surely anyone else is also free to comment.. ofcourse..

www.foxnews.com

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This part of the whole shabang has been around a while. Is it true? I have not done research on it, but i assure one, someone took the time to do the math and has the answer.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
That is all well and good, anyone who is anybody has realized that Dec. 21, 2012 is relatively arbitrary given the uncertainty of our knowledge of the Mayan Calendar.

But many do not realize that the Mayan Calendar is not the source of the '2012 prophecy' and that specific date.

The date is the zero point on Terence Mckenna's Timewave zero after aligning another novelty dip with WWII. The Timewave was invented by Mckenna on a mushroom trip in the jungle in Brazil I think - or was the intellectual result in the wake of the trip. It is a mathematical description of 'fractal time' according to I-Ching hexagrams.

I don't believe Mckenna was familiar with the Mayan Calendar 'coincidence' until many years later.

ETA: And I do not pretend to know whether Mckenna was wholly correct and accurate with the fractal mapping, his choice of the dropping of the atom bomb in the novelty dip, the 2012 'prophecy' etc. I am more interested in the idea of cyclical time and fractal time.

And if I am wrong about this, and the Mayan Calendar is the source of 2012 stuff... just lemme kno.

edit on 2-3-2011 by beebs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Myself, i do not take the Mayan calender or any other crack pot ideas that ancients knew about or had an indication as to our extinction serious. I rather create my own destiny and hence have only myself to blame if and when anything goes wrong rather than some culture that we assume had the ability to foresee the future but obviously was advance as the then times posed upon them as our times pose upon ourselves. Way too much emphasis is given to milliseconds of history for the purpose of marketing and profit.

Prime example, see Hollywood

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
the end of the mayan long count is based on the progression of the constelations, and the galactic alignment.

It just so happens that the galactic alignment is on 12/21/12.

no, the mayans did't know about the date, just the event, which happens on that date

(MSM trying to bring the hysteria down)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Terrence McKenna is my f*cking dude... That guy is such a hero... Have you ever listened to any of his recordings or audio books? He is describing how fungus is from space and lives on Earth to help us or punish us and all this wild stuff. He was way before his time.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is not the first time that I've heard that the calendar is off.

The actual calendar wheel that most people refer to when they are talking about the Mayan prediction of 2012 are actually referring to a damaged artifact. The end section of the calendar was damaged over time and it makes it impossible to decipher in its entirety, leaving most people to fill in the blanks with their best guesses.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well...

Comet Elenin will be here in October 2011.
Jesus will be here in Feb 2017.
Apophis will be here in Jan 2036.

Choose your poison.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It is true that conventional physics seems to indicate that the fluidity of time makes our reckoning of dates much less certain as you drill down into specific metrics. (You know your feet age faster than your head kind of thing.)

But I tend to agree that the astronomically-inclined cultures relied on the procession of the stars to gauge large-scale time periods, so the fact that their notion doesn't line up with the 'fiat' Julian-based calendar (and those preceding it) should be no surprise. You can call a rock "a tree" if you like, but it will still be a rock.

As to whether our solar system plunging into the center of the galactic plane has effects beyond visual is for the future to tell... all the rest is just TV-hype and fear marketing at its finest. It could be bad... it could be good... it could be neither....

I prefer F. Herbert's concept of the 'nexus.'

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
AWW crap! I thought we were gonna' be done with all this stuff Dec22nd,2012 now there's another 50-100years ofconspiracy/ TEOTWAWKI predictions coming???????

Archie bunker says:"Awww jeez Ee-dit' dere"

edit on 2-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have an old science fiction/New Age book from the 1970s - which I didn't buy on purpose, it was in a box full of books I got at a yard sale - that predicted "aliens would return on December 24th, 2011". I don't think the book makes any references to Terrence Mckenna or the Mayans, but talks about a lot of New Age/Fringe Science hokum (ancient pyramids, strange biological experiments, ect). This is funny because it falls close to the doomsday date.

When I find the book, I might add more to this post.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Interesting you should mention Terrence McKenna and his Time Wave Zero theory, now you are forcing me to go back and listen to the show where he talked about it and see if he mentions the Mayan Calender.

It would be great if he were around today so we could hear his take on all this. Rest in Peace Terrence I still miss you.

I am listening to the interview from 1997 right now, stay turned.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jussi

www.foxnews.com

A new critique, published as a chapter in the new textbook "Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World" (Oxbow Books, 2010), argues that the accepted conversions of dates from Mayan to the modern calendar may be off by as much as 50 or 100 years. That would throw the supposed and overhyped 2012 apocalypse off by decades and cast into doubt the dates of historical Mayan events. (The doomsday worries are based on the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, much as our year ends on Dec. 31.)

LOL according to Fox News???? The garbage network of the world.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Terence Mckenna: 2012 Timewave Zero TV Show Sightings

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
And we should believe fox news because? the last time i checked they would say anything for the ratings and viewership.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I thought we could verify the accuracy of the Mayan Calendar and it's correlation to our current calendar because of the astronomical occurrences (i.e., lunar eclipse, solar eclipse, Venus transits, etc.). If our current interpretation of the Mayan calendar is off by 50-100 years, then why do the celestial occurrences match up with our current calendar, current celestial events and 2012 being the end of the Mayan cyclical calendar?
edit on 2-3-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I thought we could verify the accuracy of the Mayan Calendar and it's correlation to our current calendar because of the astronomical occurrences (i.e., lunar eclipse, solar eclipse, Venus transits, etc.). If our current interpretation of the Mayan calendar is off by 50-100 years, then why do the celestial occurrences match up with our current calendar, current celestial events and 2012 being the end of the Mayan cyclical calendar?
edit on 2-3-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

Yes, I thought so too.. But I haven't seen the source(s) for that correlation.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Jussi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
There is a room in one of the pyramids that has a relief sculpture on the ceiling that speaks to the same alignment. It isn't only the calendar given to the Maya to etch in stone that this is based, the Hopi have a version as to many other cultures. The Vatican knows full well too, they worked the calender out to land on that date for their own reasons, but they were well aware of the issue back then. Then again, since Fox is calling it...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jussi

Forget about aliens , 2012 BS , comets and all that may be :

EARTH IS GROWING !
In circumference 90 cm IN ONE YEAR!!!

Konstantin Meyl is RIGHT , a lot of scientific data is supporting him , stop the BS , look in the right direction!

Konstantin Meyl Neutrino Energy Interview with William Alek
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join