It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Balancing out the flagged threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I have noticed there is a system in place to give kudos to a thread by using the flag system. One fault with this is that there is no balancing this with an alternate type of "flag" to disapprove the thread should someone not like it. Currently it is one sided in terms of how this works.

A person who does not agree with or like the thread should be able to "flag" it just as anyone who likes it can.

I have read on this here before where the common comment is just to "not read it" or, "go away" to another thread and thereby don't vote for it. However this is a hand waving argument because if 123 people like a thread then flag it, how about the other 546 that didn't like it but were left with no manner in which to let others know they didn't like it. The other argument about people "abusing" the disapprove flag if it were an option I firmly believe is a untrue because if your gonna create quality content then you now know that people can counter your buddys approval flag as well as flags by people who are your friends if your thread is determined to really just lack the quality but passed the good 'ol boy test.

ATS needs to fix this and balance out the flagging system by leaving the current flag for "liked" intact and come up with a counter-flag for people that disapprove a thread.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This has been brought up many many times and it always gets turned down.

The problem is that it encourages forum gang activity. Friends ganging up and flagging down certain threads flagging up others.

Theres already a huge problem with a forum gang on here they call themselves "The Mod Squad" They even have special avatars identifying themselves. Huge hierarchy, Forum Moderators, Super Moderators, Site Administrators. And they are tough too.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I think flag is meant to show that the thread is important for others to see, not whether you like it or not. You may flag a thread you disagree with, just to let others witness the stupidity...

Stars are for posts you agree with. Maybe ATS should introduce black holes for bad posts to balance things out..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

Thanks for this thread, as a new ATS joiner items like this educate and ease you in at the same time.

On this subject MASLO (3rd Post) said "... I think flag is meant to show that the thread is important for others to see, not whether you like it or not. You may flag a thread you disagree with, just to let others witness the stupidity... "

REMEMBERINGB THE DICTUM…
ATS Skunk Works: This forum is dedicated to the all-important highly speculative topics that may not be substantiated by many, if any facts and span the spectrum of topics discussed on ATS. Readers and users should be aware that extreme theories without corroboration are embraced in this forum. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals

MASLO has described the balance. Just will add... Flags are ancillary to comments and as such indicate being moved in one direction or another - is the direction important?

THANKS §t r ø n g ∆ n g e l § t å ®

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
i noticed that to, couldn't there be something like agree and disagree flag.
i think that would show with a quick glance how members stand on a certain thread.
some threads are page upon page, and some member are long windid and can take the space of ten or twelve
posts. and some times you don't want to do all that reading, just to find out what the majority view is.
and as far as flag abuse, make to where you cant flag unless you post.

edit on 2-3-2011 by JdSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Stars are for a general

Flags are for when you think a thread should be viewed by as many members as possible, high quality content. We frown upon the "thumbs down" option because as mentioned above it encourages board gangs and as well we do not want to focus on the negative.

In all honesty if you don't like the topic then don't read, and don't reply.

OR better yet, reply and provide your thoughts and opinions as to why you don't agree.

In a polite and meaningfull way ofcourse

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

Back when I posted on Democratic Underground, we had a system like this, where you could reccomend and unreccomend threads.

And just as is being mentionedh ere, it led to what could be called gang activity, active efforts at site censorship by actual units of people who spent their time burying anything that did not meet their desires.

And since the minority who wants to burn something is usually much louder than hte majority that like it, lots of good material basically got flushed.

I know we already have similar efforts for boosting threads and subjects here on ATS. Adding a measure to down-rate threads and posts would just turn a mild irritant into a total bust.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Stars are for a general

Flags are for when you think a thread should be viewed by as many members as possible, high quality content.

Lets be real that there is not always high quality content being flagged. We both know that. Correct?
So if one feels that something is of low quality then the only option is to avoid it?! Makes minimal sense as a thread runs rampant about a CGI U.F.O. But I understand the rules are the rules.

P.S. Ganging up goes the other way too.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

The problem is that it encourages forum gang activity

that works both ways.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

Stars are for a general

Flags are for when you think a thread should be viewed by as many members as possible, high quality content.

Lets be real that there is not always high quality content being flagged. We both know that. Correct?
So if one feels that something is of low quality then the only option is to avoid it?! Makes minimal sense as a thread runs rampant about a CGI U.F.O. But I understand the rules are the rules.

Yup I agree with you, any system can be abused and yes some times ( more often than I'd like) there is what I consider to be sub standard content on the front page.

And yes, the BEST option is to avoid it, the more replies it gets the faster the thread climbs. Actually it's sad because a lot of GOOD threads get buried because some people just won't flag or star or even read a very well tought out with excellent content type threads.

It's unfortunate, but simply the reality.

~Keeper
edit on 3/2/2011 by tothetenthpower because: spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud

Stars are for a general

Yup I agree with you, any system can be abused and yes some times ( more often than I'd like) there is what I consider to be sub standard content on the front page.

And yes, the BEST option is to avoid it, the more replies it gets the faster the thread climbs. Actually it's sad because a lot of GOOD threads get buried because some people just won't flag or star or even read a very well tought out with excellent content type threads.

It's unfortunate, but simply the reality.

~Keeper
edit on 3/2/2011 by tothetenthpower because: spelling

I think the mods (not suggesting that you are sitting around bored) should be more mod like in this case. You do have the power to put up what you feel collectively is interesting. Maybe have 2 top picks. One based on flags and the other simply "mods pick". Just an idea. Not gonna fight for something like that. But something to consider and it certainly would show some balance I feel.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

That's kind of a misconception.

We are members first as the mantra goes and this place is literally built for you, it's member generated content. Our job is to make sure that everybody is playing nice and although I like the idea, I think it would tear away from the overall community of ATS.

And it still would not change the gang activity for flagging threads. Members as a whole choose what seems important and what they want on the top pages.

I think in all honesty that the membership in general should be more wary of giving out flags and focus on stars to great posts within those threads.

Then again it's a matter of perspective, I don't believe in Niburu but a whole lot of members here do and who am I to say that it doesn't deserve front page attention?

~Keeper
edit on 3/2/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Like and dislike is for facebook. As mentioned before sate your claim in the thread why you don't like it. This will encourage the user to try to do better next time. Deny ignorance.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
There is already a negative flag system. It's called the back button.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Humint1
A person who does not agree with or like the thread should be able to "flag" it just as anyone who likes it can.

I disagree.

If you disagree with something, we'd like to see your reasons why. This is a discussion forum, not a polling site. No one should care whether or not someone "dislikes" something. Everyone can make their own determination about what they like, or dislike and that solitary fact should be irrelevant to everyone else. Now depending upon the context of the thread, if it's appropriate to engage the discussion and explain why you don't like something, that's a welcome part of the dialogue.

For people who just like clicking on stuff, open a solitaire game.

We've had this discussion about negative stars and flags repeatedly. It isn't going to happen.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

So, based on your logic someone who does not like a particular candidate (in this case a thread) shouldn't be able to vote while those who like a certain cadidate (forementioned thread) can vote?

It isn't going to happen

Obviously not. Goodnight.

edit on 3/5/2011 by Humint1 because: Add some text

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Humint1
reply to post by yeahright

So, based on your logic someone who does not like a particular candidate (in this case a thread) shouldn't be able to vote while those who like a certain cadidate (forementioned thread) can vote?

It isn't going to happen

Obviously not. Goodnight.

edit on 3/5/2011 by Humint1 because: Add some text

As mentioned above, it's a discussion site, not a voting site. People flag discussions that they find are interesting.

If you don't find it interesting don't read it, don't flag it.

Threads that don't get flagged or commented in fall off the boards pretty quickly, they either rise or they don't based on their own merrits, not because you don't like the topic, or the member who wrote it.

If you feel the site doesn't have enough quality content, well get busy finding or creating some.

The site doesn't get better because people want to make things they don't like or people they don't like go away, the site gets better when you create great content for it.

Challenge yourself not ATS, or others.

top topics

join