It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court rules church's protests at military funerals are protected by freedom of speech

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I agree with the ruling. I don't agree with these jeebus fanatics though. Out here, we've blocked their demonstrations with a human wall of some of the grittiest outlaw bikers (upon the sheriffs request) and I think the jeebus thumpers gave up coming here altogether. I prefer these decisions being left up to people. They can't even get a hotel here anymore.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This is outright ridiculous. Not in the fact or matter of what the Westboro Baptist Church does or says during the protests, but the simple fact that there is no reason that any FUNERAL should be allowed to have protesters allowed.

It shouldn't matter if someone dies fighting in a war, of cancer, or natural causes. Their final celebration of their life should be allowed to be celebrated in peace.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
That is all right Westboro Baptist Church can have there freedom of speech.

They can also have there freedom of religion.

They can hold Sunday services if they can get to the church on Sundays.

And the protester against WBC can set up protest for 5 blocks around there church in a way no one can get there without walking through the picketers.

Oh the WBC website seams to be down and there known phone numbers are also out of action.

One idea is to send your junk mail to there addresses.
forum.ebaumsworld.com...

Some fun things might be to use there addresses when signing up for free offers on the Internet.

Anything to fill up there mailboxes to the point it takes hours for them to find the mail they want and cause them to lose mail, bills and other important correspondence due to post office overload.

Another fun thing to do is to start flooding the post office with change of address forms changing where there mail goes.
Maybe there tax bills for there homes will get lost or there mortgage companies will foreclose on them because they did not get a letter.

Anyone with a people search accounts might want to look for more of the addresses they use and post them.
some of the old information is outdated

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Well I guess you can now yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, no matter how many people get hurt in the stampede, huh?

Hey that's hurtful "Free Speech" too, just like the SOBs at WBC do at military funerals.

SCOTUS is occupied by the dumbest damned bunch ever to sit on a bench, with one exception: Judge Alito.

Mark my words: now that the legal means of redress has been denied, somebody with a deer rifle with a good scope is going to weigh in on this issue before too long. I will throw a party when the first WBC member is shot.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Another thought:

All you folks in uniform, if you are approaching the end of your hitch DO NOT RE-UP! Forget your damned "duty" too and do whatever it takes not to get hurt!

If this LOUSY country will not honor you and stand up for you and protect your families in their time of greatest grief, then why in hell should you stand up for it?

This is friggin obscene!
edit on 3-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

I disagree.

How is the hurtful "free speech" of WBC, which is hurtful because it causes families emotional trauma when they are already traumatized and most vulnerable, any different from yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater which also causes trauma, but is held as illegal "free speech" because it intentionally causes harm?

That's a BS double standard, and apparently the only justice who gets this is Alito.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Man, you are ON IT> Thank you.

I can feel your passion-that's what I'm talking about.

Sometimes passion means more than anything. the fuel of a good cause!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I have only read the first couple of posts.
I saw this court decision before going to
bed last night.I think it is terrible what these
people are doing.
Since it is legal to protest at funerals.When
one of their own die,then it's payback time!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Reply to post by anon72

A now famous quote for you.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend your right to say it."

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Reply to post by anon72

There is no expectation of privacy on public property.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Where does it stop?

Once you start prohibiting offensive speech, there is no limit to what people will claim is offensive or causes emotional pain.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The ruling was 8-1. Who was the lone dissenter?

Justice Samuel Alito was the lone dissenter, saying Albert Snyder had a right to bury his son in peace.

“Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case,” Alito wrote.

Dissenter

Right or wrong?
edit on 3-3-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
One of these days, some grieving family member is going to lose their mind and drive a truck through the crowd of them, or something along those lines.

The law is the law, and they absolutely have the legal right to do what they are doing, but human beings are animals. And you can only push animals so far before you get attacked. Im actually surprised no one has gone postal on them yet. Grief, (or other very strong emotions) can prime people to behave in ways they otherwise wouldnt.

I agree, sooner or later someone is going to attempt something violent against them. I really think the Westboro Baptist Church is just fraudulent money making scheme, sucking in donations from the dis-illusionists of the world while they laugh their way to the bank. They talk at length about the bible but they never seem to quote more than a line or two..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Are you uneducated enough to not know that some "Free Speech" IS illegal in this country? The rule of thumb is free speech ends when it hurts someone else. Ala yelling fire in a crowded place. Emotional trauma is no less hurtful than physical trauma.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join