It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court rules church's protests at military funerals are protected by freedom of speech

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Supreme Court rules church's protests at military funerals are protected by freedom of speech

www.pennlive.com

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court has ruled that the First Amendment protects fundamentalist church members who mount attention-getting, anti-gay protests outside military funerals.

The court voted 8-1 Wednesday in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan. The decision upheld an appeals court ruling that threw out a $5 million judgment to the York County father of a dead Marine who sued church members after they picketed his son's funeral.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well, I have seen it all. I can't believe this. I guess it is true taht Life is for the Living and Death is for the Dead.

At least that poor soldier will never know the hated and terrible things stated by these nuts on the day of his burial.

Don't you just love these God loving folks? makes my stomach turn. Wait till they start dying off. Maybe we can go to their cerimonies and have a grand old time.

At what point does the victims rights win over the loud mouths? Okay on Free Speach but what about the familys right to a peaceful and respectful good-bye burial? What about their rights?

Our country is going to SH>>!!!!!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/912810301ca2.jpg[/atsimg]
www.pennlive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Another story I just found. more detail: Supreme Court rules church's protests at military funerals are protected by freedom of speech
edit on 3/2/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Though them protesting at funerals is truly disgusting.... the court is right.
You should be happy that they for voted for freedom even if we do not agree with that form of freedom.

If you empower the govt. to take away freedom for this, they can take anything next as well.

Best thing to do is for some noise to be called and then call the cops saying they are disturbing the peace.

Or just jump them!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I assure you had people been protesting for something anti-government at these funerals the court's decision would've been completely different.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The court is right. The right to protest and to free speech prevents the courts from making laws that violate it.

When trying to judge these decisions, the MESSAGE of the speaker (Phelps) must be disregarded. Of course I don't agree with the message of Phelps and his gang, but if the protesters were protesting the war near a funeral, they'd be allowed. It doesn't matter what their message is, it's the act of protest and free speech that must be evaluated. The court made the right decision, thankfully.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I find it vile and disgusting, what these people do. They are lower than low. They are pathetic detrius from the bottom of septic tanks in a leper colony.

But free speech is free speech. And as much as I would like to see these pathetic putrid pieces of offal suffer in some vile circle of hell, they do have a right to say those vile and repulsive things.

OP, I must agree with you in point, that our society would create people such as these moronic, inbred, losers.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by InSanE1

What you say is not true. Anti-government protests take place all the time.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Existing thread here in Breaking Political News: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That's a bunch of BS ... I understand that if this was NOT allowed it would be a major issue....but these people SHOULD NOT be protesting at funerals .... there are many places to protest but funerals are not one of them....

These people should show some G_d Damn repsect!

AS

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I have to agree with the courts on this one. At the same time, as a member of the Patriot Guard Riders, I think the police should be too busy to react when the bikers remove these idiots from the area.

They absolutely do have the "right" to protest, and that is exactly what the soldiers fought and died for. It should be seen as an honor to have someone exercising the right that you died to defend. Still, people should have more sense and empathy for grieving families, so if they show up to protest, and they get beat down by angry bikers and family members, all is fair in love and war.

Patriot Guard Mission

Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family.

Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives:

1. Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.
2. Shield the mourning family and their friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.

To those of you who are currently serving and fighting for the freedoms of others, at home and abroad, please know that we are backing you. We honor and support you with every mission we carry out, and we are praying for a safe return home for all.

edit on 2-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Last time I attended one I got shot at with rubber bullets lol. Mind you this was the G20 here in Toronto but still.

It just seems to me that this decision to allow them to continue protesting is a show that "Freedom of Speech" still exists however in my opinion they allowed this because they realize that this is just a small group of nutjobs and their message isn't really affecting the government in any way. I assure you if these were protests for something like 9/11 truth, or to have Bush charged with war crimes or something of that sort, this wouldn't be allowed to happen.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Although I agree they have the right as stated, they should have the morals or empathy not to have those disgusting signs and stuff to cause more suffering. This is a case of the law protecting bullies, and even though not intended, like shouting fire at a movie to cause a panic is omitted, using the freedom of speech to bully should be omitted just like the other cases. The fact it is only one church is the problem, usually this kind of behavior is sorted out by the religion, like how Islam should stop all suicide bombers, the Methodist church should put an end to this.

See that logic, it almost sounds right, lol, but it is not the fault of said religion it is the fault of the people that act this way and support the behavior. Those Christian folks that do support and do this should review my signature and then really think of what they themselves are doing not others. You can not argue with the Messiah you believe in, right?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSanE1
I assure you if these were protests for something like 9/11 truth, or to have Bush charged with war crimes or something of that sort, this wouldn't be allowed to happen.

You can assure me all you want, but you are mistaken. There have been COUNTLESS protests against GWB as a war criminal AND to reveal 9/11 truth. They HAVE BEEN allowed to happen and they ARE allowed to happen.

Bush Protests
Phoenix
Utah

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yea, so the supreme court rules for free speech on a position that really only involves pitting US citizens against one another.
However, in cases that involve a US Citizen against Federal, State or Local Governments, (or major Corporations)
the ruling is almost, if not always, against the peasant.

Seems to me that they are no longer represent the constitution or even the moral rights of the US Citizen.
They seem to be trying to create dissent against each other, rather than towards the Govt.

In short, none of the sections of our Govt are actually on the peoples side anymore, (if ever)

Not to be a so called fear monger but if changes arent made, we are completely screwed.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Wow, I guess these just don't get enough coverage to be noticed, I always thought that these things would get shut down and swept under the rug. Glad to know I was wrong

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well I completely agree with the decision: These people have every right to protest. If their protests turn violent, or violate the well-being of others, then it's not cool.

The funny thing is, I bet if they were protesting the government they would all be locked up by now

But seriously, they have every right to be out their protesting- If people have a problem with them and this decision, why don't they evoke their own right to freedom of speech and go out their in mass and protest the "God Hates Fags" church and support the military funerals?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Well, technically they have been. They also have "God Hates America" type signs and they regularly speak out about America being "Satan".

These guys are equal opportunity haters.

edit on 3-2-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Not surprising, this is how the Supreme Court should have ruled on the matter. Did anyone else enjoy the delicious irony of the OP, or am I the only who got a nibble?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I don't care about freedom of speech in this case. If the man died for you show some god damn respect. If I had someone protesting at any funeral I'd F****ing kill them. I don't care, If you won't stand behind your troops feel free to stand infront of them. Puss y's thats all these protesters are! This makes me more mad than Haarp, Codex, the whole f***ing agenda! these protesters deserve nothing more than a bullet in the head!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Not surprising, this is how the Supreme Court should have ruled on the matter. Did anyone else enjoy the delicious irony of the OP, or am I the only who got a nibble?

Originally posted by anon72
Wait till they start dying off. Maybe we can go to their cerimonies and have a grand old time.

Hey, isn't revenge what it's all about?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join