It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Hates Fags?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The Supreme Court rules 8 to 1, that the funeral protests done by the Westboro Baptist church are part of their 1st amendment rights. While I agree with the 1st amendment, I do not agree with the Westboro Baptist Church's views. I have many friends and family serving in the military, and if one of them were to get killed serving this country, and the God Hates Fags people were protesting their funeral, I don't know what I'd do. The Supreme Court says that the protests are OK as long as they are at a reasonable distance.

If that is the case, it probably won't be long before a family member of a fallen soldier, stays "at a reasonable distance away" with a .308. I can't believe that nothing like this has happened yet. I know there has been scuffles between the church members and bikers. But it is amazing that none of the God Hates Fags people have been killed yet.

Do you think it is right for this "CHURCH" to protest at soldier's funerals?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Is there any background info you could provide on this matter for those of us not in the know?
That would be great, thanks!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I would say that the protestors who are picking on funerals have crossed the line....let them picket the govt for their grievances but when they attempt to distrupt a funeral they are "disturbing the peace".let the dead "rest in peace."

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

If you went to protest the protesters you would be arrested, this group is nothing more than a government physico operation for photo shoots. just ignor them, Hate leads to hate crimes.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It is their right to protest under the 1st Amendment. We may disagree with it, and with their views, but non the less, it is their right.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jonibelle

Westboro Baptist Church/ Supreme Court

This church is really only a family with a bunch of followers, but the hatred they try to spread is unbelieveable. I have heard Shelly Phelps on many radio shows and she has completely brainwashed her children to believe her rhetoric. Most of her children are adults now, but they follow her and her beliefs, I think she still has one or two underage children, and I can't believe that they have not been taken from her for their own safety.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Are you trolling? Why did you need to include the bit about killing members of the church? However insane and misguided these freaks may be, it's NOT okay to use violence against them. I'm not surprised that no one has tried yet, they are the bottom of the barrel, everybody else finds it easy to not sink to their level. You, on the other hand, have done just that. Who cares about their hateful rhetoric? They can't protest AT the funeral, but we also can't tell them that they cannot protest a funeral in general. If a funeral for a mass murderer was protested, would you be so violently opposed to the protestors? Just because you disagree with their message, their approach and their viewpoint doesn't give you the moral authority to pass laws against their conduct. As long as there is no violence and they are not screaming at the mourners, verbally assaulting them, what's the problem?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Protesting any funeral should be illegal - its completely ridiculous that the U.S. gov would allow the 1st amendment right to trump somebodys feelings. I wouldnt care if it was Adolph Hitler - you do not protest somebodys funeral. That is just unacceptable.

Where and what they protest elsewhere is up to them. But I also believe that regurgitating hate speech thats decorated with known offensive curse words should also be illegal. If im out with my child on 5th avenue and I see WBC picketing swear words all over the public street I would be pissed.

Freedom of speech should have limitations like for instance:
-No picketing of a persons funeral
-No cuss words to be used on picket signs

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Okay, now I KNOW you're a troll. A family should have their children STOLEN from them because of their beliefs? Why don't you write a book on the guidelines for what hoops we have to jump through to have kids in America? Should we take kids away from parents who give them junk food? for their own safety? Should we take kids away from every pothead and heavy drinker? What about people who believe in aliens? They would probably not provide the safest home possible for their kids. How about Britney Spears' kids? based on the latest tabloid trash story about her, I'm SURE she's gonna hurt those kids.
BTW, this Phelps woman goes on the Howard Stern show so they can make fun of her. No radio or talk show presents these people in a positive light. Why do they make you so angry that you want to take their kids away?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

I never said I agree with killing members of the "church". I just think it is bound to happen sooner or later. Unfortunately this "church" has involved children in their protests and if somebody were to retaliate, children who don't know any better could be caught in the retaliation. I was just trying to inform people that the Supreme Court had just come down with this ruling. I'm sorry if I upset you.

These people wanted to protest the funeral of the 9yr old girl who was shot in the Gaby Giffords shooting. They wanted to protest because she was catholic.

Christina Green Funeral Protest

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Secularist

People's feelings should trump free speech??!?! I'm fat, so no one can talk bad about fat people on T.V. or in public. People in my high school used to think I was gay and that hurt my feelings, now you can't say gay on T.V. or in public. If Adolph Hitler were being buried in the U.S. today, I would protest the funeral. I couldn't disagree with the God Hates Fags people more, but I would fight and DIE proudly to defend their right to piss people off and be complete pieces of poop. America wasn't set to train people to be the best versions of themselves through laws and punishment, it was set up for free people to be free. That means the good, the bad and the ugly. If the church can't protest funerals, then you can't wear shirts with words or pictures on them.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

You know, you can argue all day about their right to do it but when it comes don't to it, it's their right. I would defend their first amendment rights anyday. Though, I think that they are a bunch of hateful, wretched snakes that use a message which they themselves do not abide by ("do not judge lest you be judged" "love thy neighbor as THYSELF" and Jesus is the guy who invented "killing with kindness"). They do it because they feed off of their hatred and think that God gives them the courage to "stand up for what they believe in" when they are really just excited by spreading their hate. Venomous vipers, that's what they are. It's sad to see people twist love into hatred like they do, but that's why I just ignore them.
Peace!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is not what the founders intended when they guaranteed free speech. The Supremes have shown their supreme ignorance today.

It's not free speech to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater when there is none. Why? Because injuries or death may result from the ensuing panic. I would think that the same logic would apply here. These are not political protests aimed at changing government policy - the real reason for the First Amendment protection of speech - they are hateful, venomous personal attacks against innocent citizens. Something is wrong here.

I would think it would be fairly easy to build a case of harassment or disturbing the peace, inciting violence, or any number of charges that would see these Westboro scumbags gagged and thrown in jail. Why isn't any of that being done?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

Yep, you got me, I am a troll. I just called my doctor and he confirmed it. I don't care what people teach their kids, I just think it is an unsafe enviroment bringing them to the protests.
v
Would you want your child's funeral to be protested, with signs that they angered god so they deserve it?

You are defending these people's right to free speech, but I can't state my point of view on a website that is made for such things?

Well, gotta go, there was a couple of soldiers shot in Germany and I have a few friends over there right now on the way to Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'd love to see a group get together to follow them around to all their protests in order to set up right down the street with their own signs like "God hates bigots" and "God hates ignorance". I would think they'd be covered under the same rules of freedom of speech as long they kept it peaceful.

I've seen a picture, which I won't post here due to language, of a guy about 20 feet away from a WBC protest with a sign that said "F--- this guy" and an arrow pointing at the WBC people. I love that picture.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

that's fine. they should be able to protest the funeral of a rape victim because she was asking for it if they want! As long as they are far enough away that the mourners are protected from their hate speech, as long as no one gets violent, it's fine. THIS IS AMERICA. like it or leave it.
Also, there are so many situations where you could say a child might get hurt, it would be foolish to punish these people. Should we take away children from parents who use cars to transport them? cars are dangerous.
I'm sure you didn't mean to upset anyone, it's clear that these people have gotten under your skin and from a moral standpoint I'm in complete agreement with you. Where i draw the line and DO tend to get a little miffed is when that disagreement leads to new laws being passed and children being taken from their parents.
free speech is free speech is free speech. even, and especially, when it gets ugly.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
The Supreme Court rules 8 to 1, that the funeral protests done by the Westboro Baptist church are part of their 1st amendment rights. While I agree with the 1st amendment, I do not agree with the Westboro Baptist Church's views. I have many friends and family serving in the military, and if one of them were to get killed serving this country, and the God Hates Fags people were protesting their funeral, I don't know what I'd do. The Supreme Court says that the protests are OK as long as they are at a reasonable distance.

If that is the case, it probably won't be long before a family member of a fallen soldier, stays "at a reasonable distance away" with a .308. I can't believe that nothing like this has happened yet. I know there has been scuffles between the church members and bikers. But it is amazing that none of the God Hates Fags people have been killed yet.

No. I do not think it's "right". But I have to agree that our constitution does not sort things out into "right and wrong". It gives it's freedoms to us all.

OK so what is happening is that some big beefy bikers have been going to these funerals and positioning themselves in a line as though to block the "christians" getting too close. So there are ways to react which are not illegal or too violent. It wouldn't take too much imagination to dream up some really neato things like concealed stink bombs or maybe some kids behind bushes 50 feet away with a catapult and lots of dog turds for ammo. Whatever works.

God hates fags? How does this fit in with soldiers' funerals? Anyway God does not hate anything or anyone. Hate is a violent emotion which is only possible here on earth.
edit on 2-3-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hate speech is hate speech. End of story. These protesters are simply abusing your free speech amendments. Lines should be drawn. You can't allow this behaviour and then, for instance, condemn speech that may equate to racism or anti-semitism. It's all hate!

IRM

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

ha! i hope they make some sort of anti-troll salve!
I certainly wasn't saying that you shouldn't be allowed to share your opinions; i was just exercising my freedom of speech to tell you you're DEAD WRONG!

Like I said, I agree that it is despicable behavior, but it's a slippery slope to say that these people aren't allowed free speech in this context, but other people in other contexts are.
And to the person who said the protests are like yelling "fire" in a theatre, that metaphor would really only apply if the protestors were trying to get people to react violently or with panic. if they were shouting that the funeral goers were actually terrorists or goblins or something, but otherwise, it's kind of a stretch. but i like the idea of keeping a close eye on them and trying to hit them with disturbing the peace of something else. I just think that there are better ways that we can deal with these people without running to the gov't and begging them to pass a new law.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

RIGHT ON! you are smart, and i'm sure very attractive in real life. let's try to think of all other options for confronting this extreme kind of ignorance before we turn to violence or the government (which usually work out to about the same dang thing, right?).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join