It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Response To Fiscal Crisis [HOAX]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
(Moved to hoax as the image has been circulating the Internet for some time, and has nothing to do with current events)

The Caption is sarcastic, but the image is real.

House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, pictured standing, far right, speaks while colleagues Rep. Barbara Lambert, D-Milford and Rep. Jack F. Hennessy, D-Bridgeport, play solitaire Monday night as the House convened to vote on a new budget. (AP)

The guy sitting in the row in front of these two....he's on Facebook, and the guy behind Hennessy is checking out the baseball scores.

These are the folks that couldn't get the budget out by Oct. 1, and are about to control your health care, cap and trade, and the list goes on and on….

Should we buy them larger screen computers - or - a ticket home, permanently?

Don't you just love how seriously the Democrats are taking a fiscal crisis that is putting people out of their homes, and chaining our grandchildren to a mountain of debt (if the Republic survives that long.)

edit on 2-3-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: moved to hoax

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

And lets not forget, its our hard earned money that is taxed so these goons can play on the computer for 6 figure incomes.

American politics is a joke, and washington dc is a dump. im moving to antartica.
edit on 1-3-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: Clarification

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

God help us because no one else in power seems prepared to do so! We have adults who are still children running the country. Both parties!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

For every instance where a rep. or sen. abuses the system on one side. I can find a the same on the opposite side.
Is this what you want? An endless tug of war of nonsense. Remember the TPTB want exactly what you are giving them.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What are they supposed to have on their monitors? ATS?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
You realize the picture is from August 2009 in the Connecticutt state legislature, right?

You certainly hold a grudge though.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Sorry but this is not related to anything current and is from 2009 - maybe amend your misleading title.

From SNOPES:

Origins: The above-displayed photograph which appears to show representatives playing solitaire on their laptops during a legislative session has certainly struck a chord among many viewers, undoubtedly because it seemingly confirms a widely held view of elected representatives as paid fat cats frittering away their time at frivolous pursuits rather than engaging in serious governmental problem solving efforts.

The photograph is real, although it has erroneously been attributed to a number of different legislative bodies, from the U.S. Congress to a variety of state legislatures. The picture was actually snapped in the Connecticut House of Representatives on 31 August 2009 by photographer Jessica Hill, while Rep. Larry Cafero was delivering a lengthy speech on the state budget. The photo was captioned by the Associated Press as follows: House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, far right, speaks while colleagues play solitaire on their computers as the House convenes to vote on a new budget for the fiscal year in the Capitol, in Hartford, Conn.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
OOPS.

Sorry.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk,

While it is nice that you offered up a correction once it was pointed out to you, this sentence above makes me question the real sincerity of this thread. Does anyone that actually cares about politics right now not know the house minority leader is not Republican Larry Cafero?

Being right up front in the story like that kind of seems like anyone actually paying attention to the reality of what is going on, thus having a valid statement to make on said issues kind of would have noticed something as obvious as that.

I am not saying you but the fact that it got posted and 5 stars with that right in the beginning of the story makes me feel like people are just here to push things, not actually learn. Hopefully I will be proven wrong on that.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Don't you just love how seriously the Democrats are taking a fiscal crisis that is putting people out of their homes, and chaining our grandchildren to a mountain of debt (if the Republic survives that long.)

Don't you just love how the tea drinkers take cues form Fox "News" and fabricate events?

Or, are you so politically unaware as to notice the settings had nothing to do with national government?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mister.old.school

Don't you just love how the tea drinkers take cues form Fox "News" and fabricate events?

Or, are you so politically unaware as to notice the settings had nothing to do with national government?

I suppose you have NEVER been fooled by something you came across or was sent to you in an email.

Must be nice to be perfect; you sure do have condescension down pat.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I suppose you have NEVER been fooled by something you came across or was sent to you in an email.

Not by something so obviously absurd as this.

However, the tea-drinkers are in the habit of reflexive genuflecting in the direction of anything that smells of denigration of the other side, regardless of the truth or accuracy.

you sure do have condescension down pat.

Only when necessary.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mister.old.school

Not by something so obviously absurd as this.

However, the tea-drinkers are in the habit of reflexive genuflecting in the direction of anything that smells of denigration of the other side, regardless of the truth or accuracy.

you sure do have condescension down pat.

Only when necessary.

Why is it obviously absurd? The picture is in fact a genuine depiction of lawmakers sitting around with their thumbs up their butts when they are supposed to be engaged in the people's work. I trusted the source, and didn't question it; so unless you've never made a mistake why don't you get off my back?

And BTW, not every person who wants to hold lawmakers accountable, regardless of their political affiliation, is a member of the Tea Party. Want proof?

SARAH PALIN IS A BIMBO!

How's that?

If that's not enough, how about you read this?

Oh, SNAP! Look who just made a mistake? Seems like someone took me for a Tea Partier WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE!!! You are EXACTLY what you rail against. You take a single post from someone you don't know, and because their views differ from your own, you paint with a BIG, WIDE BRUSH.

Feeling foolish yet?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
MODS!!! When I hit reply for the above post, I was redirected to "Windows-check.com" which Firefox alerted me was an attack site. I assume it had something to do with a banner ad. Just FYI.
edit on 3/2/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk,

While it is nice that you offered up a correction once it was pointed out to you, this sentence above makes me question the real sincerity of this thread. Does anyone that actually cares about politics right now not know the house minority leader is not Republican Larry Cafero?

Being right up front in the story like that kind of seems like anyone actually paying attention to the reality of what is going on, thus having a valid statement to make on said issues kind of would have noticed something as obvious as that.

I am not saying you but the fact that it got posted and 5 stars with that right in the beginning of the story makes me feel like people are just here to push things, not actually learn. Hopefully I will be proven wrong on that.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

To be honest (a trait to which I am held by my Sacred Honor) I didn't really read the caption. I was in a hurry, the email came from an intelligent and trusted source, and I was sloppy in my fact checking (in other words, I didn't do any at all.). As of this moment, I promise not to post any more threads I haven't researched a bit first. I apologize to you and everyone else for my sloppiness, but it was just a mistake on an Internet forum.

But I will NOT be talked down to as the other poster attempted to do. From one post, he assumed I was a Tea Partying Kool-Aid drinker (sorry for mixing metaphors
) accusing me of intellectual fraud. I hope I proved otherwise with that link from my old blog. Party affiliation means nothing to me; integrity, honesty, and hard work on behalf of the people get my vote; not an elephant or a donkey.

Cheers, and thank YOU for not beating up on me too badly.

top topics

join