It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Biggest Military Redeployment in a Decade

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The US is moving large amounts of equipment, and inventory, including the 3,600 troops of the Army's 2nd Infantry division, which will be following the" hundreds of Abraham tanks, Bradley fighting vehicles, Humvees and artillery pieces" to the southern port in Busan to be shipped to Iraq.

U.S. Moving Weapons Out of South Korea
The division's entire 2nd Brigade would begin pulling out of South Korea next week, and the entire unit would be in Iraq by the end of August, Gen. Richard Cody, the Army's vice chief of staff, said at the Pentagon on Friday. It is expected to operate in western Iraq with Marine Corps units, Cody said.

The redeployment - one of the biggest realignments in a decade along the Cold War's last frontier - was announced in May and signals the first significant change of U.S. troop levels in South Korea since the early 1990s.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Soldiers are working two 12 hour shifts to move all this equipment around the clock the article also reports.

Related News

U.S. Moving Weapons Out of South Korea

[edit on 18-7-2004 by Muaddib]

[edit on 7-18-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
In other news, Syria cleared its throat, loosened its collar, bulged its eyes, adjusted its tie, looked around the Middle East nervously and muttered something about "I don't get no respect."

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Muaddib do you find it odd that the 2nd is an Infantry division but the equipment thats being moved is more along the lines of an armor brigade? I understand the arty going with the 2nd but not the Abrams tanks and Bradleys.

Is the 2nd a fully mechanized division with indignious armor element?

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I cannot say with 100% certainty, but this deployment seems to be that either we have intelligence that tells us we are going to find some quite large resistance with insurgents in Iraq, or that we are getting ready for another war.

What I am wondering is what is happening in the border of Iran-Iraq with the Iranian troops.... Is this deployment perhaps in response to something Iran is doing?

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The 2ID is a fully mechanized (heavy) infantry division. That's why they have tanks and bradleys.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Think like a diplomat.
By moving those troops, North-Corea has lost it's argument for weapon development(or better WMD) as the "threat" from the USA isn't present any more. They always blocked talks with the argument that the USA are about to attack them, so now - they have a position worse than before and need to be more serious in their talks.

Moving those troops to Iraq shows Iran that the USA won't just sit around and tolerate everything as well does it represent a certain defense strength for the freed Iraq.
I doubt it's against resistance, you don't fight them with tanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I cannot say with 100% certainty, but this deployment seems to be that either we have intelligence that tells us we are going to find some quite large resistance with insurgents in Iraq, or that we are getting ready for another war.

"major combat operations in Iraq have ended"
George W Bush, USS Abraham Lincoln, May. 2, 2003

Bush saying the war is over, doesn't mean the war is over.
Another war?
It is the same war.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Bush has never said the war is over.

In fact, he has repeatedly said on numerous occasions that it is only beginning.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Oh yeah, I forgot - the war on terror has just begun!

Cry 'Havoc' and Let Slip the Dogs of War!

Iran, North Korea and China here we come!!

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Since China is not currently considered a terrorist state, I'll presume you are just being silly.

Because you are just being silly, and nothing more.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
China was silly, but is Iran and North Korea?

as a footnote, China fills all the criteria for a terrorist country as much as Iraq; they have WMD, an oppressive regime. . .

Thing is, they are a little bigger than Iraq, no?

[edit on 18-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
As far as I know, China has not sponsored or supported any acts of terrorism. It is not considered a terrorist state by the United States government.

Iran is ripe for another revolution, and the new government will most likely not be a theocracy. Not if Iranis have any say in the matter, at least.

As for North Korea, work is already well underway. It will soon be under new management. Hopefully the new boss will be more clear-headed about foreign and domestic policies than his predecessor.

Call it a hunch, but I think North Korea is finally going to find its way back into the world sooner than you might think.

It's a brave, new world.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Other than the normal high tech things the US has here are some new things for future adversaires to chew on.

Impotent Army
mailman.efn.org...

Impotent Artillary and Missle systems, including any airforce. It says missle defence but if you can shoot down artillary and missles I think a mach 2 aircraft would be a turkey shoot no?

www.spacedaily.com...
www.spacedaily.com...
www.spacedaily.com...

And this is just the unclassified things.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Great, more ways to terrorise people.

Non-lethal weapons that turn out to be quite lethal, I bet.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I was in the 2ID around 2000 for two years, in Uijongbu. We used to joke that we were "safe" in Korea, because they wouldn't move us anywhere else to fight (unlike, say, people in Germany who get deployed to Bosnia). What has this world come to?

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It's Titor-time, Batman!

Yeah, that's just another piece in another direction that happens to work.

Aside from the weapons, has anyone thought that the U.S. Home Bases might just not be ready to receive 3,600 extra troops with hundreds of vehicles at once, and, knowing that they are useful elsewhere, just sent them to the place where they may be needed instead of bringing them back home to confusion followed by deploying them shortly afterward?

Like shoo said, think like a diplomat, or a logistician. This was the most sensible thing to do.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I've already posted this in another thread:

Around-the-clock train/truck convoys moving US military away from N Korean border

The equipment includes hundreds of tracked vehicles and hundreds of wheeled vehicles, and is arriving around-the-clock at the Busan port, where soldiers are working two 12-hour shifts, she said.

Something quite unusual about this. Round the clock massive withdrawl of thousands of troops and hundreds of tanks from the most tense border on earth? Why? To go to Iraq? What are hundreds of tanks going to do in Iraq against insurgents? When was the last time you saw large numbers of American tanks in operation in Iraq?

I don't get it....

And how about this:

"The scale of this operation is about five times that of what we ordinarily do." - U.S. army spokeswoman Maj. Kathleen Johnson

What the hell is going down?

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There is a Time article coming out this week (another thread) that says Iran had cooperated with Al Queda - according to 911 commission. So these troops and equipment may be for a strike on Iran next.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Exactly rangeroftheeast, this stinks.

Tanks in Iraq is both an aggressive and defensive move, 'digging in' if I'm not mistaken - not a sign that they're going to be pulling out anytime soon.

Withdrawing US presence from South Korea will leave them vunerable!

Or is the Korean War ancient history now?

We learn from history that we learn nothing from history.

George Bernard Shaw

Originally by NavyDog
'Iran had cooperated with Al Queda'

. < insert country/ ideology here > cooperated with al-Qaeda.

Show the world the proof.

[edit on 18-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Maybe they're pulling the troops out so they're not in the way of any possible attack from either side using nuclear or biological weapons.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join