It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CRTC dumps proposal to ease rules on false news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

CRTC dumps proposal to ease rules on false news

www.ctv.ca

OTTAWA — The CRTC has withdrawn a controversial proposal that would have given TV and radio stations more leeway to broadcast false or misleading news. The proposed change sparked concerns that the CRTC was about to allow into Canada the more toxic -- often grossly distorted -- political discourse that pervades the American airwaves. Those suspicions were fuelled by the timing of the proposal, only weeks before next month's launch of a new, right-leaning all-news network, Sun TV.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well it seems the CRTC spends alot of time changing it's mind. First it was the bandwidth control of internet that they we're told by the Gov, to have another look at and if they didn't back away from that, the Gov't would step in and make them. Now it's this other proposal of allowing fake news on our Tv. I think the CRTC and the Govt. got alot of negative emails and responses on these issues, and with the potential of another election waiting in the wings, I don't think the Harper camp want to give the other parties any ammo to use. Obviously the Canadian People do not want any of this, so congrats to whomever emailed, phoned or contacted any of the above Institutions and any other Reps each province has. At least Canada listens to it's people.

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The only place we can post false news is on these kinds of websites...IMHO this is more for entertainment purposes than anything...just sayin...
edit on 27-2-2011 by TrueGrit because: type, grammer, i need to used the preview option more...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueGrit

Can you clarify your reply. I don't understand. What is more for entertainment purposes?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
To all my Canadian friends;

Sorry, but the cartel-driven social engineering solidifying just south of your border is threatened by the potential that you might accidentally let the cattle know what is and isn't true..... therefore you will submit to the "new" News paradigm.... what your press tells you from now on is subject to editorial controls in compliance with the reality the establishment requires you to believe.... and we can't have something as trivial as common law interfering with their ability to lie with impunity.... isn't the entertainment industry great?

Mexico... don't worry, your news is brought to you by the mafia ..... they don't give a rat's ass what you think anyway.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Another win for the good guys. Thanks this time to Avaaz for taking on the campaign. As the OP has mentioned, this issue will certainly rear its ugly head post-election.

The entire situation is a shame, given what the CRTC used to be, before the Harper gov't deregulated and took a hands on approach. Where once the CRTC operated at arm's length from the Feds, and fought to preserve, promote, and protect Canadian culture and media, it is now simply a bargaining shop for corporate lobbyists seeking to dismantle and dictate Canadian culture. A tremendous loss to Canadian society.

Round two will surely come in this fight, as SunTV continues to lobby for this deregulation that nobody wants but them, and they are surely pumping money into the Conservative party right now for that opportunity. Canadians not only need to stay vigilant on this issue, but also be vocal in demanding the restoration of the CRTC to what it was before Harper put our culture on the auction block.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Just thought I'd bump it up since someone else seems to like the same type of news.

new topics

top topics

join