It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Water—More Bad News from the World of Fracking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
As if it wasn't already bad enough, more bad news from the world of fracking as it relates to our water supplies.

Regulation lax as gas wells’ tainted water hits rivers

While the existence of the toxic wastes has been reported, thousands of internal documents obtained by The New York Times from the Environmental Protection Agency, state regulators and drillers show that the dangers to the environment and health are greater than previously understood.

The documents reveal that the wastewater, which is sometimes hauled to sewage plants not designed to treat it and then discharged into rivers that supply drinking water, contains radioactivity at levels higher than previously known, and far higher than the level that federal regulators say is safe for these treatment plants to handle.

Radioactivity in drinking water at far higher rates than our treatment plants can handle for us? Little testing for radioactivity? Treatment plant operators who don't even know they need to be concerned about this? Lax oversight over spills? And what about the animals who are drinking this water untreated? Hmmm? What the hell are we doing to this planet and its creatures? Including us.

The Times also found never-reported studies by the E.P.A. and a confidential study by the drilling industry that all concluded that radioactivity in drilling waste cannot be fully diluted in rivers and other waterways.

Sorry for all the questions, but there just seem to be more and more when it comes to this practice. It seems that they've given so little thought to the repercussions and consequences. We should all be very alarmed.

Who thought this was a good idea?

And it's not as if they haven't known this. Here's an article from 2009: 'Fracking' updates: radioactive water, EPA study, public hearing Thursday. Follow the links in this blog. We sure move slowly when it comes to standing in the way of profit.

edit on 2/27/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
We are asking the same questions..you can join us here
www.facebook.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
As if it wasn't already bad enough, more bad news from the world of fracking as it relates to our water supplies.

SNIP

Who thought this was a good idea?

Who thought it was a good idea? Greedy people who couldn't care less for anyone but themselves, who looking to play on our addiction to oil for a little money, and will leave the mess for others to deal with once the oil is gone.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by iprotectwildlife

Sorry, I don't do FaceBook. But thanks for the link for those who may.

Also on FaceBook and available to the public (non-members): www.facebook.com...

Is this the same site? Concerns and knowledge about this appear to go back as far as 2004?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Well, the article speaks to the support from some environmental groups who say that anything that gets us off oil is a good thing
Talk about short-sighted.

Also a good point here: Fracked gas is only cheap because extractors do not clean up after themselves.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
Who thought it was a good idea? Greedy people who couldn't care less for anyone but themselves, who looking to play on our addiction to oil for a little money, and will leave the mess for others to deal with once the oil is gone.

1 quadrillion stars my friend.
I couldn't agree more!

If people were more interested in saving the land, rather than making money...
But, we are a greedy nation with our entire lives wrapped up around making money.
It's detestable.

The problem is, with the media programming the population, this will never change.
Until you stop, turn off the television, shutdown the computer, walk outside and realize what we have.
And what we are destroying.

All in the name of....what? MONEY. Or greed if you like.

Truly pathetic.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

The link I gave you was for Friends of Arkansas Against Fracking..there is a thread here at ATS devoted to the swarm of Arkansas earthquakes and the idea that they may be caused by fracking. There are several Facebook sites devoted to stop fracking from all over the world . The credit for the Arkansas link I gave you goes to Robin Marks...he first brought up the possibility of fracking as the possible cause of those earthquakes. Thank you Robin.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by iprotectwildlife

Yes. I'm following and have participated in that ATS thread. And I agree fracking is harming far more than we know. This issue goes deep and has many ramifications, from its adverse effect on the planet and like on the planet, to the payoffs, to the lack of regulation, and to recovery efforts to name a few.

I'm sure you all saw the recent articles about coal pollution too.

top topics

join