It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recall of Wisconsin's AWOL Senators Begins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
It has begun.
Around my state, efforts are underway to recall numerous state Senators who have now been AWOL for over a week.
This evening, I had a gentleman show at my door, asking me to sign a petition to recall Sen. Bob Wirch.
We talked, and after he left, I called my parents, who had had someone at their door.
After describing the gentleman at my door, we decided it was two different people.
A call to my brother, sister, and others all revealed neighborhoods all over were being canvassed by petitioners.

Racine Journal Times article

usatoday article

It would seem that a recall effort is underway against almost every AWOL Senator Wisconsin has.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Good. Politics, as a profession, is somewhere at the rank of prostitute, dog-catcher, or mime.

But it IS a job where, despite the outcome, participation is required.

These folks don't want the job? Find someone who does. With rampant unemployment, I'm sure there would be a few takers.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Here are a few of the efforts already underway.

Recall Effort- Hansen

Recall Effort- Wirch

Recall Effort- Holperin

Recall efforts have begun against Lena Taylor of Milwaukee, Mark Miller of Monona, Julie Lassa of Stevens Point, and Fred Risser of Madison, as well.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

You guys should add your Governor to list as well.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by itscocobaby
reply to post by Oaktree

You guys should add your Governor to list as well.

He is there. He is participating. He is doing his job.

You may not agree with HOW he is doing it. But if that is the case, vote him out at the next election. These AWOL folks aren't even DOING their job.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

My next door neighbor, a hardcore Democrat (not liberal, progressive type) long time union member, who also happens to be my fishing and hunting partner, and probably my best buddy, signed the Wirch petition.

I couldn't help but notice his name as I signed.
I saw him later in the evening, and mentioned it, with a "What's up with that?"

His response?
"All my life, I taught my kids that you face the music, and don't run away from a fight.
These guys ran away, to Illinois, of all places, to hide?
I'm embarrassed to call myself a Democrat right now."

I couldn't say much other than "Yeah dude, that's rough, hey" or something similar.

It seems like there is enough momentum to see a few recalled, imo.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by itscocobaby

That effort was explored, too.
By law, in Wis., a politician can not be recalled during his/her first 12 months in office.

Recall efforts against Walker could not be started until late January, 2012.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Well said. Wish I could give you more than one star for that. Your democrat friend has hit the nail right on the head. So much for honour in politics or politicians.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

He is there. He is participating. He is doing his job. You may not agree with HOW he is doing it. But if that is the case, vote him out at the next election. These AWOL folks aren't even DOING their job.

I am on the west coast, but I've followed the story now for some time, I say vote all of them out, the AWOL's and the Governor bye bye /wave

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think he sums up the mentality of quite a few here in Wisconsin.

There are a lot of union member, blue collar, hard working type Dems, and there are a lot of hard working, "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" type Republicans,
but there aren't a lot of "run away to fight another day" types, at all.

I really think this whole ploy by the Dems is going to backfire, especially being such a swing state.
edit on 27-2-2011 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by itscocobaby

I say vote all of them out

I've been trying to accomplish that for many years, my friend.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
They left because there would be no fight. As soon as they are there the bill will get steamrolled through by the Republican majority. What's up with people's obsession with "being a man and fighting", "facing this", "grow some balls", etc.? Is having a penis not enough to prove you're a man?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

How about just doing the job that you ere elected to do? Why is that so hard to understand? I see this as an act of cowardice, and not any type of responsible behaviour.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

As soon as they are there the bill will get steamrolled through by the Republican majority.

"Steamrolled" or voted through?
Semantics aside, Republicans were voted into majority in Wisconsin.

I wonder your opinion had Republicans abandoned Washington to prevent a vote on, say, Obamacare.

Like it or not, all politicians are voted in to do a job.
Don't like the way they vote?
Vote them out.

That is exactly what happened last election in Wisconsin.
Some were voted out.
Walker was forthcoming about what may need to happen regarding public service employees,
and was voted in.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

They were elected to represent the members of their district. I'm sure their constituents are just fine with them leaving the state so that peoples' rights don't get stripped, but this is just a smokescreen. I'm pretty sure they don't care what you think about them, unless you live in WI. This is brave; not many would stand up to this naked power grab.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Steamrolled.

Just because you win an election doesn't mean you can do what you please. More than likely they were elected to help with the economy and create jobs--not bust unions. Even Ron Reagan the Conservative hero said belonging to a union is a human right (paraphrased).

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
reply to post by Oaktree

Steamrolled.

Just because you win an election doesn't mean you can do what you please. More than likely they were elected to help with the economy and create jobs--not bust unions. Even Ron Reagan the Conservative hero said belonging to a union is a human right (paraphrased).

Oh right, tell that to the Occupier in Chief please, and Nancy Pelovsky too

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

I think you might like their AWOL idea if you actually read the bill. Wisconson is about to take it bigtime from private industry. There is language in the Unions Bill, discussed In This Thread Here that is scary.

Do you remember Enron? You are about to see round two if people dont wake up. This is bad.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
These alleged "Democrats" (or would that be like they like to be called "Democratic"?), people, representatives of the people have turned tail and hid.
They don't appear very "Democratic" to me but... rather afraid.
Now people, you must ask yourselves, afraid of what?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

PRobably this

language that is in the union bill.

SECTION 44. 16.896 of the statutes is created to read:
16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling,
and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the

department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may

contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without

solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best

interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or

certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to

purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is

considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification

of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b)

Its a gimmie

top topics

<<   2 >>

join