It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIA Travelers Warned Of Possible Measles Exposure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Source

February 25, 2011 7:01 PM

DENVER (CBS4)- Denver International Airport is warning travelers and employees that they may have been exposed to measles. The exposure would have happened on Tuesday, Feb. 22.

According to the Department of Public Health and Environment, a person with measles arrived at DIA, Gate C39 at about 9 p.m. That person remained in the area for several hours.

People who were working or traveling through Concourse C at DIA on Tuesday after 9 p.m. should monitor themselves for any early symptoms of measles, especially fever, from March 1 to March 12.

(snip)

The last case of measles in a Colorado resident was in 2006. Before that, the state had one case in 2004 and two cases in 2000.

This is posted in the Social section because of the link to the re-intoruduction of widespread disease back into the United States for two reasons:

1. Foriegn travellers who refuse vaccines for various reasons. The infected wonam, in this case, refused to be vaccinated because of her religion.

2. Parents, who, because of fearmongering over vaccines and autism, etc.; refuse to vaccinate their children.

www.cdc.gov...

More measles cases have been reported in the United States since Jan. 1, 2008 than during the same period in any year since 1996, according to a report released today in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Between January 1 and July 31, 2008, 131 cases were reported to CDC′s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD). At least fifteen patients, including four children younger than 15 months of age, were hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.

In the decade before the measles vaccination program began, an estimated 3–4 million persons in the United States were infected each year. Of these, 400–500 died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and another 1,000 developed chronic disability from measles encephalitis.

“Measles can be a severe, life-threatening illness” said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of NCIRD. “These cases and outbreaks serve as a reminder that measles can and still does occur in the United States.”

Of the 131 patients, 112 were unvaccinated or had unknown vaccination status. Among the 112 unvaccinated U.S. residents with measles, 16 were younger than 12 months of age and too young for vaccination, and one had presumed evidence of measles immunity because the person was born before 1957.

Of the 95 patients eligible for vaccination, 63 were unvaccinated because of their or their parents′ philosophical or religious beliefs.

We have, unfortunately, been set up for quite the epedemic for the two reasons posted above, along with the lack of education and ability to track or enforce any type of vaccination protocols for people coming into this country illegally.

Along with increases in childhood diseases, we are also seeing increases in tuberculosis, which can strike anyone.

Another source

A woman from the United Kingdom who has measles, traveled through airports in Washington, Albuquerque, and Denver last week, health officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explain.

So, just as in the way flu can spread, so can measles. It is extremely contagious, and remains airborne for long periods of time. Closed air flow areas, such as airplanes, can increase the risk for infection of airborne illness.

Simply walking behind someone that may cough or sneeze is enough to possibly expose you.

As with any infectious disease, this has the potential to involve a lot of people, but primarily children and babies that have not received vaccination.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
You lost me at "fearmongering over vaccines."

"No deaths have been reported"
edit on 26-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
there was just a posting about DIA being like associated with the coordinates in a movie. Kinda weird

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Akk.... measles...whatever happened to the H1N1, there's a kid who was buried today in Elysian Fields, Texas.
Measles used to be just another round of crap we got as kids, and after having it, and chickenpox, and mumps, and gods only know what else, our immune systems were pretty much built up. Yes, it sucks for adults who haven't had the joys of childhood sicknesses, but really now, panic? Meh. Not so much.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
You lost me at "fearmongering over vaccines."

"No deaths have been reported"

There are innumerable threads on ATS about vaccines and the purported dangers, alleging that vaccines such as MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) contain mercury and other toxins that cause autism.

www.connecttristates.com...

Read more: Local, State, National, Health, Community, Autism, Autistic Children, Illness, Vaccinations, Measles, Vaccines and Autism, Do Vaccines Cause Autism? Autism Debate, Wakefield, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, Lindermans

Every 20 minutes, a child is diagnosed with autism ... more than ever before.

The big question is why.

Some say it's due to better diagnosis, others say we're seeing more children develop the disorder.

A small study back in 1998 supposedly linked the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine to autism, which steered some parents away from vaccines. That same report was since retracted by the medical journal The Lancet. Doctors and scientists in the medical community say it's a fraudulent report and that the controversy it caused spurred outbreaks of previously-contained diseases like measles.

Then earlier this year, the British Medical Journal discredited Wakefield's study, after an investigation by a freelance journalist. That journalist claimed Dr. Wakefield's report was based on doctored information and hand-picked test subjects.

The author of that study, Doctor Andrew Wakefield, has been stripped of his medical license.

But families of autistic children continue to stand behind him and his research

Sadly, before the study was retracted, many children in the US have gone without vaccinations due to the fearmongering alleging the links to autism. Not only was it factually wrong, but it was fabricated data that was used. This was only discovered this year.

www.cnn.com...

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds
By the CNN Wire Staff
January 5, 2011 8:14 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- A now-retracted British study that linked autism to childhood vaccines was an "elaborate fraud" that has done long-lasting damage to public health, a leading medical publication reported Wednesday.

An investigation published by the British medical journal BMJ concludes the study's author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, misrepresented or altered the medical histories of all 12 of the patients whose cases formed the basis of the 1998 study -- and that there was "no doubt" Wakefield was responsible.

"It's one thing to have a bad study, a study full of error, and for the authors then to admit that they made errors," Fiona Godlee, BMJ's editor-in-chief, told CNN. "But in this case, we have a very different picture of what seems to be a deliberate attempt to create an impression that there was a link by falsifying the data."

Just a sample of the posts on ATS alone:

Vaccine Makes Girl Retarded

Coast to Coast is fuelling the vaccine paranoia tonight

Childhood vaccinations??

Simply put, things that get posted here, as well as other forums, do affect the way people act, respond, and live their lives and people make decisions sometimes based on fear.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

See, for a person calling themselves libertygal, you sure are quick to want to inject babies with aluminum.

Look, the studies get carried out with funding, the funding goes to the studies that get the results for the people who paid for them. This is how it works.

I can post a thousand examples of poor souls who died, or were forever harmed by vaccines.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by volafox

I think most people are immune to it, or were vaccinated. Measles is a serious disease.

If you have the big scar on your arm right by your shoulder, and are older, you got the vaccination. Younger children and adults were given a liquid by mouth when they were babies, as well as a booster because not all first doses give full immunity.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Causes, incidence, and risk factors
The infection is spread by contact with droplets from the nose, mouth, or throat of an infected person. Sneezing and coughing can put contaminated droplets into the air.

Those who have had an active measles infection or who have been vaccinated against the measles have immunity to the disease. Before widespread vaccination, measles was so common during childhood that most people became sick with the disease by age 20. The number of measles cases dropped over the last several decades to almost none in the U.S. and Canada. However, rates have started to rise again recently.

Some parents do not let their children get vaccinated because of unfounded fears that the MMR vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, and rubella, can cause autism. Large studies of thousands of children have found no connection between this vaccine and autism. Not vaccinating children can lead to outbreaks of a measles, mumps, and rubella -- all of which are potentially serious diseases of childhood.

Complications from measles can be numerous and include:

pneumonia
bronchitis
meningitis
encephalitis
deafness
death

and in pregnant women:

birth defects with no set uniformity
low birth weight
fetal death

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

See, for a person calling themselves libertygal, you sure are quick to want to inject babies with aluminum.

Leave me out of it.

This is a discussion about the social issues that arose from (since you obviously didn't read and had only a knee jerk reaction) fake, false, hokey, studies.

Re-read the posted info.

The autism studies are FAKE.

www.vaccineinformation.org...

Does the MMR vaccine cause autism?
There is no scientific evidence that measles, MMR, or any other vaccine causes autism. The question about a possible link between MMR vaccine and autism has been extensively reviewed by independent groups of experts in the U.S. including the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine. These reviews have concluded that the available epidemiologic evidence does not support a causal link between MMR vaccine and autism.

The suggestion that MMR vaccine might lead to autism had its origins in research by Andrew Wakefield, a gastroenterologist, in the United Kingdom. In 1998, Wakefield and colleagues published an article in The Lancet claiming that the measles vaccine virus in MMR caused inflammatory bowel disease, allowing harmful proteins to enter the bloodstream and damage the brain. The validity of this finding was later called into question when it could not be reproduced by other researchers. In addition, the findings were further discredited when an investigation found that Wakefield did not disclose he was being funded for his research by lawyers seeking evidence to use against vaccine manufacturers. Wakefield was permanently barred from practicing medicine in the U.K. and The Lancet retracted the original article in 2010.

www.newsmaxhealth.com...

Researcher Faked Autism-Vaccine Data, British Journal Says

Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:54 AM

Dr. Andrew Wakefield, the now-disgraced British doctor who published studies linking vaccines with autism, committed an "elaborate fraud" by faking data, the British Medical Journal said on Wednesday.

The journal's editors said it was not possible that Wakefield made a mistake but must have falsified the data for his study, which convinced thousands of parents that vaccines are dangerous, and which is blamed for ongoing outbreaks of measles and mumps.

The journal, commonly nicknamed the BMJ, supported its position with a series of articles by a journalist who used medical records and interviews to show that Wakefield falsified data.

www.who.int...

And I can post information showing hundreds of thousands of deaths from *not* being immunized.

Key facts
Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.
In 2008, there were 164 000 measles deaths globally – nearly 450 deaths every day or 18 deaths every hour.
More than 95% of measles deaths occur in low-income countries with weak health infrastructures.
Measles vaccination resulted in a 78% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2008 worldwide.
In 2008, about 83% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 72% in 2000.

edit on 26-2-2011 by Libertygal because: eta last paragraph

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
*Local injection site reactions (including pain, pain limiting limb movement, redness, swelling, warmth, ecchymosis, induration)
*Hot flashes/flushes
*Chills
*Fever
*Malaise
*Shivering
*Fatigue
*Asthenia
*Facial edema.
*Immune system disorders
*Hypersensitivity reactions (including throat and/or mouth edema)
*In rare cases, hypersensitivity reactions have lead to anaphylactic shock and death
*Cardiovascular disorders
*Vasculitis (in rare cases with transient renal involvement)
*Syncope shortly after vaccination
*Digestive disorders
*Diarrhea
*Nausea
*Vomiting
*Abdominal pain.
*Blood and lymphatic disorders
*Local lymphadenopathy
*Transient thrombocytopenia.
*Metabolic and nutritional disorders
*Loss of appetite.
*Arthralgia
*Myalgia
*Myasthenia
*Nervous system disorders
*Headache
*Dizziness
*Neuralgia
*Paraesthesia
*Febrile convulsions
*Guillain-Barré Syndrome
*Myelitis (including encephalomyelitis and transverse myelitis)
*Neuropathy (including neuritis)
*Paralysis (including Bell’s Palsy)
*Respiratory disorders
*Dyspnea
*Chest pain
*Cough
*Pharyngitis
*Rhinitis
*Stevens-Johnson syndrome
*Pruritus
*Urticaria
*Rash (including non-specific, maculopapular, and vesiculobulbous).
*Death

This is just a quick list of some of the most common side effects, that they will admit to. Did you know TPTB actually passed a law that makes vaccine makers completely shielded from any deaths or damage they cause?

I take great offence to someone who so boldly proclaims that vaccines are safe, and they don't cause autism, when all you have to do is simply read the details about every single study that's been done, to realize otherwise. Inject yourself with whatever you please, but when you try and attack wise parents who decided not to shoot their baby up with aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, detergents, etc. Well, I guess you know what I think of that.

Go ahead, read the studies THEY have funded. Did you really think they would allow someone to publish a study against their agenda without destroying it.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Just more scaremongery to make you have vaccines. I agree measles can in a very very minority of cases be dangerous and leave lasting problems but the vaccines cause far more serios problems. When I was a kid we caught measles, chickenpx, mumps etc and none was worse than a bad cold or itch and we weere up and running 2 weeks later at the most.
How do people expect to build up their immune systems without catching the various diseases in the first place. It gives lifelong immunity in most cases. Measles is no more deadly than a cold to the normal population or at least it wasn't. Since people have been immunised most dideases become more dangerous in time due to no imunity against the strains.
Wise up, when we were small our parents would take us to a friends house to actually catch it so we would be immune when older.
Yes TB is a bad illness but again it can be treated with antibiotics but again the overuse of these medicines has resulted in the superstrains that are now resistant to most antibiotics that we have.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

I never said the vaccines were "safe". In fact, I have not posited an opinion either way. Funny thing, that, yet you keep trying to bring me into this and turning it into a personal attack. Why?

Again, leave me out of it.

The discussion is about the social implications that could be had by non-vaccination against the measles. Not me, my opinion, or even your opinion for that matter.

The idea, you see, is to let people make up their own minds without the fearmongering and lies and false information.

All vaccinations, injections, medicines, and medical proceedures have risks and side effects.

However, the baseless fearmongering could quite will end up creating an epidemic in this country which results in the deaths of large numbers of people. I think this is an important issue, and quite frankly, that is the only opinion I am going to discuss with you.

Quit attempting to put words in my mouth that I have not said, and quit attempting to discuss the poster.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Even with vaccines theres no guarantee that an individual wont come down with something - they only lower the risk.
Also illegal immigration is not limited to just the u.s - it happens in every country.
Personally wont get a vaccination due to all the side-effects of them. There are no guarantees in life I will take my chances and enjoy life making the most of it. Life is meant to be lived - not spent cowering in fear with big brother watching over and protecting people from the world..

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Well, the MMR is usually administered to children. With all the issues about vaccines of late, I am not certain about now, but I know these were required to put your children into school, and for some states, college entry. It also is required, along with other vaccines, for long term care facilities such as nursing homes.

So really, it is a parental decision, and if you are old enough to say you don't want it, that's fine.

As long as people realize the risks involved, they certainly have the right to make informed decisions on their own healthcare. Just realize in some instances and even some jobs, it can be quite limiting.

www2a.cdc.gov...

This tool contains results from a 50-state legislative review of laws requiring assessment of vaccination status and vaccine administration for healthcare workers and patients/residents. The review was conducted by CDC in 2005 and collected data on laws for the following types of facilities: hospitals, ambulatory care facilities, individual providers' practices, correctional facilities, and facilities for the developmentally disabled.

www.immunize.org...

Lists vaccine-preventable diseases, and then shows state mandates (prenatal, daycare, childcare, kindergarten, elementary, secondary, K-12, colleges and universities, long-term care facilities) on immunization requirements

Here is a link to search by state if anyone is interested:

www.immunizationinfo.org...

For instance, my state:

www.immunizationinfo.org...

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR):

Day Care, Head Start, K-12, College/University Day Care, Head Start, K-12- 12-18 months: 1st dose due. 4-6 years: 2nd dose due, but can be given at 11-12 years. 11-12 years: must have 2nd dose

K-12- 4-6 years: 2 dose due.

The MMR requirement is 1 dose of mumps vaccine, 1 dose of rubella vaccine, and 2 doses of measles vaccine. The vaccines may be given as MMR (combined) or as single antigens.

College/University- second dose of measles is required for University System freshman and new enrollees

And I know illegal aliens happen all over the world. The point that I was making is that diseases that were largely thought to be eradicated in the US are making a comeback due to unimunized illegal aliens with active infections crossing the border and infecting people. Unfortunately, the ones that will suffer are the little ones that frightened parents have refused vaccines for.

People do die from vaccines, uncommonly, but a *lot* more people die from these very dangerous diseases.

Like I said, informed decisions are fine, but only when people are given the truth and not fed propoganda and false studies with which to do so.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This thread belongs in the Diseases & Pandemics section. Not in the Social Issues section.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You keep on attacking smart parents, you keep on restating the same propaganda, and you keep on making no logical sense. I've lost count of the number of contradictions you've already posted in this thread. On one hand you want people to be able to make their own educated decisions to vaccinate themselves, but then you want to inject newborns with harmful substances. There are several definitions of liberty, all of which I believe are in opposition to your very clear bias on the subject. Especially "existence in a state of nature."

If you don't want to be dragged into the thread, why do you repeatedly present a very clear bias on the subject, a highly controversial subject at that. It's a disgusting reality that the state tries to force people to vaccinate, one which you clearly celebrate.

Perhaps you should reevaluate what's propaganda here, and what isn't.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Am trained as a physician in both western medicine and tcm (traditimal chinese medicine) over the years have delivered many babies here - all of whom grew up happy, healthy and strong - all without vaccinations. Western medicine is limited, with a one cure fits all approach which often does more harm than good and relies way too much on drugs that do more damage than cure.. TCM treatment is tailored to the individual after a thorough examination of the patient and the patients environment.. theres over 5000 years of history to tcm unlike western medicine that at best goes back 300 years.
Would NOT recommend vaccinating children nor do I agree with how westerners use drugs to control children.
Will leave it at that ..

new topics

top topics

join