It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today's STS-133 black UFO fly-by

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

He certainly has more credibility than many of the posters here at ATS.

When he was an active 'rocket scientist', Oberg had a 22-year career as a space engineer in Houston, where he specialized in NASA space shuttle operations for orbital rendezvous, as a contractor employee. He was a 'NASA Trainee' at Northwestern University in 1966-9, and worked at the Johnson Space Center in Houston 1975-1997.

I watched the launch today on HDnet and I enjoyed looking at Jim's links he provided here.
Lighten up people!

Ahh, so because he worked for NASA we need to "lighten up" when he posts a HOAX thread??
Gotcha..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Debris? DEBRIS???

So the infamous Jim Oberg, NASA fluffer extraordinaire is knowingly posting fake UFO's in the Alien/UFO section?

MODS!!! Bring the tar and feathers !!!!

Yeah his MO has changed in the past few months. He's posting crap as if it's real. At least vague & mysterious. And then letting the OP die without addressing most of the questions.

And oddly enough; ZiggyProductions is right: He's either suffering from some sort of creeping dementia and/or starting to drink more in his semi-retirement or whatever he does these days.

edit on 25-2-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
programming malfunction?

What an odd thread from the OP ...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
jim,jim,jim
still waiting for info from you about you know what!
your silence is beginning to speak volumes.
i am glad i didn't hold my breath.
f

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
reply to post by backinblack

Thank you for the explanation. I will look out for him in the future.

Haven't you just been duped by somebody else's "Character assasination".

I urge you to look at facts and analyses that I post that many posters really don't want you to see.

They try hard to scare you off and keep your eyes and mind closed.

You should wonder why the hostility.

The point I want to make in this post is that it's always been important to keep eyes and minds open to unusual sightings, especially in space, report on them and analyze them at the very least because of the chance they are clues to vehicle malfunction (eg, out the window sightings on MA-6 and Apollo-13 and Skylab-3 concerning leaking tanks or flash evaporators), and because of the non-disprovable potential that they will be evidence for genuinely unknown stimuli -- the kind of discovery you perform exploration for, in the first place.

But to be useful, the reports have to be assessed to filter out 'ordinary' spacecraft-generated phenomena.

Here's where the recent posters disagree with me. They don't want anything 'filtered out'. They have their explanations, the ones that give them a special thrill of superior knowledge, and their attitude towards contrary views (and people who express them) is -- to put it mildly -- hostile.

But it's because I suspect that this attitude is actually distracting from recognizing real signals in the body of reports that I get confrontational. Dogmatic detours aren't just time wasters for fools -- they could be dangerous for space travelers who miss a chance to react to a warning -- exactly as happened on Columbia, when the broke-off wing heat shield fragment drifted away from the spaceship the second day of the mission,

...AND WAS NOT RECOGNIZED as a symptom of a lethal wound that was going to kill them all.

edit on 25-2-2011 by JimOberg because: add

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Oh I get it, so you put up a thread that reads "Today's STS-133 black UFO fly-by" ...then post a lame you tube vid.. and turn the thread into a public awareness campaign about "space debris".. neat. No hostilities intended at all Jim, but your bait and switch techniques are not gonna be well received... you know better.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alter-Ego
Oh I get it, so you put up a thread that reads "Today's STS-133 black UFO fly-by" ...then post a lame you tube vid.. and turn the thread into a public awareness campaign about "space debris".. neat. No hostilities intended at all Jim, but your bait and switch techniques are not gonna be well received... you know better.

Listen again to the UFO connection:

UFO reports are a valuable resource for better understanding the universe around us. IMHO.

They are not "all nonsense".

The general public, not the professional space monitoring facilities, are the best sensor net for collecting such reports, which need to be read and appreciated by people outside 'the UFO community'.

SOME reports might indeed be aliens or plasma critters or time travelers or any number of things -- we can work that out later but should not get sidetracked in making/recording good observations with prejudgments on what the observations 'ought' to mean, to make us feel smart.

Observations of visual anomalies outside of spaceships can be particularly important even if ONLY as a safety measure. Other importances -- we can work that out and don't have to solve it today.

The 'amateur scientist' is the first responder to such anomalies and their work at detecting raw perceptions is important.

Filtering out the vast majority of 'explainables' can come later but shouldn't interfere with or delay reporting raw data.

Now -- where is this attitude so harmful? How am I the 'bad guy' in calling for more widespread respect for such reports from the 'mainstream world'??

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

He certainly has more credibility than many of the posters here at ATS.

When he was an active 'rocket scientist', Oberg had a 22-year career as a space engineer in Houston, where he specialized in NASA space shuttle operations for orbital rendezvous, as a contractor employee. He was a 'NASA Trainee' at Northwestern University in 1966-9, and worked at the Johnson Space Center in Houston 1975-1997.

I watched the launch today on HDnet and I enjoyed looking at Jim's links he provided here.

Lighten up people!

Haha "Space Engineer" was that his actual title because that would be a joke, an aerospace engineer or a space science engineer maybe but space engineer sounds like something out of a kids book. I also do not appreciate trash posts from people seeking attention.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Again you are completely side stepping the fact your OP was a complete distraction and apparently not your main point. You posted something that might get some attention and now you are going off on your own crusade for "awareness" of debris and UFO's I think the people here have a great respect for the pursuit of the truth and muddying things up with this thread is demeaning to that end.

I'm still relatively new to the site but I think I get why people are frustrated with this sort of thread.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MechEng09
I'm still relatively new to the site but I think I get why people are frustrated with this sort of thread.

It may be more comfortable to retreat to within an intellectual ghetto of believers that hype themselves into eager anticipation over each new rumor of 'disclosure', and congratulate each other on their superior intellects and motivations -- but really, how well as that worked in figuring out the mystery over the last, oh, half century or so?

I want you to be uncomfortabe with self-satisfying attitudes. The phenomenon needs it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I gotta say, there's some serious vitriol being thrown at Jim. Not very ATS-like (or, wait...maybe it is). It was a UFO when posted, if you ask me. It was LATER classified as "debris". No Biggie. Crap happens. Move on.
Blasting a fellow member just shows the LACK of class that non-seasoned members are killing this site with. I say non-seasoned because I really hate the word "NEWB" and promised ATS I wouldn't use it.

Remember, this is a discussion site, not a free-for-all. Let's have a little dignity, shall we?

Think teflon, Jim.
Cuhail

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by MechEng09

It may be more comfortable to retreat to within an intellectual ghetto of believers that hype themselves into eager anticipation over each new rumor of 'disclosure', and congratulate each other on their superior intellects and motivations -- but really, how well as that worked in figuring out the mystery over the last, oh, half century or so?

I want you to be uncomfortabe with self-satisfying attitudes. The phenomenon needs it.

I don't think you got my point... the point was that you mislead people with the thread and now you are talking about something completely unrelated to said thread (haha rhymed). From what I've read so far on the site there is a healthy amount of skeptic to believer ratio. I prefer to sit on the sidelines and observe.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I'm as classy as Ron Burgundy, I may question the validity of "space engineer" as a job title but I haven't personally attacked anyone for their view or opinions. All I'm saying is I get frustrated when I start reading a thread and things get off topic. In my opinion the thread should have been closed as soon as it was discovered to be debris, could have curtailed the spiking of Jim.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

It seems to appear like a thin object, flipping over and over and over. I looks as if its rotating on a vertical axis, while traveling right to left. If I was to be asked what I thought it was, based on that, I would say debris of some sort, though what from I couldnt say. Thats just how I interpret what is on the video.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Pretty routine stuff -- but only three more shuttle missions to observe this kind of video, ever again.

Jim, I thought todays launch was the last one ever? Or am I mistaking dates etc...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

The eHate is all over this forum and well...the whole internet lol. It's origin here on ATS isn't restricted to newcomers.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
SOME reports might indeed be aliens or plasma critters or time travelers or any number of things -- we can work that out later but should not get sidetracked in making/recording good observations with prejudgments on what the observations 'ought' to mean, to make us feel smart.

are you ok jim

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
I gotta say, there's some serious vitriol being thrown at Jim. Not very ATS-like (or, wait...maybe it is). It was a UFO when posted, if you ask me. It was LATER classified as "debris". No Biggie. Crap happens. Move on.
Blasting a fellow member just shows the LACK of class that non-seasoned members are killing this site with. I say non-seasoned because I really hate the word "NEWB" and promised ATS I wouldn't use it.

Remember, this is a discussion site, not a free-for-all. Let's have a little dignity, shall we? Think teflon, Jim.
Cuhail

I hear you, Cuhail. However, my annoyance here is that I didn't come to ATS with preconceived notions about Mr. Oberg. I know that folk on both sides of the issue have much to offer.

But, I have felt scammed and used by some of his posts. Or his attempt at a scam anyway. Check out this thread of his. What was he trying to prove there? What 'noble' thing was he trying to accomplish? Seems to me he wanted to bait folk and laugh.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
But, I have felt scammed and used by some of his posts. Or his attempt at a scam anyway. Check out this thread of his. What was he trying to prove there? What 'noble' thing was he trying to accomplish? Seems to me he wanted to bait folk and laugh.

I'm not following you. I found some interesting pictures and without prejudicing the conversation I asked others for their opinions. How is this not a reasonable thing to do?

A professional photographer named Wilbur Allen has been emailing various folks about an impressive gallery of photographs hosted on the 'National Geographic' website. He is seeking attention and I think he deserves it, and I'm curious about assessments by posters here.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Are you saying that term UFO should be a flag to NASA to look for potential dangers?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join