It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe any of the stories that Religions teach?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BeenieWeenie

thanks for that, I'm going to look at a few more of his vids

i watched this the other night, it explains the atheist view quite well

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

I believe in the story of the Deluge, it is mindset in the collective consciousness and memory of humanity. What the Ark was is a matter of conjuncture. I personally think it was a kind of submarine, and instead of having two each of every animal and bird and fish it carried instead a DNA database of all these things. I believe that the Twin Cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by an un-natural event, personally I believe it to be a nuclear explosion, and I believe that there were Giants that walked the Earth at one time. There are certainly some other truths in there, but taken as a whole I just cannot believe the Bible is the word of God, or even multiple Gods. Too many Gods, too many contradictions, and no proof of claim.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
"give us a child till he is seven and he is ours for life"- Jesuit maxim

we are going to brain wash you, and take everything you own, and we are going to have sex with your childeren,
and then darwinate you
baa baa
( Oh goody where do I sign up?)

*sigh*
I'm not even going to elaborate
edit on 26-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There really was a census at the time of Jesus's birth. The Romans really did kill all those baby boys. And one for the Old Testament, there is record of a King Solomon. These are some of the things I know to be true. I believe in the rest, just as I believe in the greeks and romans. I only know any of these things because others have written about them. If you wanted to be really petty you could say that all history is wrong and made up, because it is only written down. Who is anyone to say that it isn't true? It was written as Truth.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
"give us a child till he is seven and he is ours for life"- Jesuit maxim

it doesn't say that, it says give me a child for his first seven years and I'll give you the man.
There is nothing religious about that, it was simply an observation made as to the way the actions of a child and the way he grows up till seven years old will make him the man he will be.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think all religious books and stories have some merit to it. I tend to think that time his hidden many facts that would prove some events. our recorded history is only 20,000 yrs old. yet the planet is a few million. Then bring in the fact that the we run on a circular schedule where the planet goes array every 10,000 yrs. we can only tell the last 2 flips. so any civilization before that would be lost to us. the oldest story we have is from the Sumerians. who say beings from the sky and genetically altered a species. so what if they did? they could of easily have them isolated in a garden type place away from the locals they were modified from. then the fall. if you notice when adam and eve leave there are already people in the land. just a side note. so keeping in mind that its possible that there was advance civilizations before what we know. look at the koran. tales of what could be described as a nuclear event and a space war. so yes i feel these stories could have happen in some sort of light. maybe not to the T. yes there was a noah. but which deluge? most likely the first one after the fall. but there has been many many more accounts of one. look at all the indigenous people of south America. they have tons of different deluge stories. Its hard to look and see if something happened when you cant look back as far as you need.
jig

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Honestly, without sarcasm and with love, I assure the doubtful that the truth is out there if one keeps searching. As one monk told me, the 12 disciples didn't all just drop everything and follow Christ..... some took many years to believe, and they were actually there. I don't think one will come to believe through debate, but rather through a personal search with sincerity in one's heart. It might even take a lifetime, but it's ok. God knows our true intentions.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeenieWeenie
Honestly, without sarcasm and with love, I assure the doubtful that the truth is out there if one keeps searching. As one monk told me, the 12 disciples didn't all just drop everything and follow Christ..... some took many years to believe, and they were actually there. I don't think one will come to believe through debate, but rather through a personal search with sincerity in one's heart. It might even take a lifetime, but it's ok. God knows our true intentions.

My personal search led me to Atheism.

Christianity is basically a stolen religion. Several stories are recorded long before anyone even heard of Christ.

Plus there is ZERO proof such a person every existed.

Parables and Lessons can come from any where - - - and if used properly as positive lessons (not fear of punishment) - - are valuable.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

What in your search brought you to your present belief/conclusions?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
Hello everyone. I will keep this thread short and simple since im sure there is more at stake for those who believe some if not all the stories that the bible, koran etc. teach. Do you believe that any of the events that took place in these religions actually existed? If you were given proof no matter how undebunkable it was, would you still believe it?

I would like to hear some replies and please keep it civil. Can you back up any of the stories from your religion if someone believes it is false?

One example I will give.

Noahs ark. Did it really happen?
edit on 24-2-2011 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

There seems little doubt that there was a global flood... of one degree or the next. It also looks fairly clear that there was more than a single grouping that was 'chosen' to survive it.

As for other stories, archeological work is continuing to this day to confirm many ancient accounts and stories, and not just from the Judeo-Christian bibles. this is where, in my personal opinion, pure science fails because it seeks from the outset to disprove instead of discover. The lesson has been, so far, that human history is far richer than what is officially acknowledged.

Finally, don't mistake ancient teachings from the Koran, Bible or Torah as being 'religious'. Faith is separate from religion; one is a belief in something more than mankind... the other is a creation OF mankind.

Cheers

edit on 26-2-2011 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I seriously doubt a group of Jewish scholars would sit down and write up an entire made up history about themselves and cast themselves in the light of being small, nomadic, and oppressed. Most cultures when they make up stories they make great boasts but not the ancient Hebrews. They came from humble beginnings by Abraham being called out of Ur of the Chaldees and were nomadic until they established a kingdom which rose and fell. They tell about their fall from God and redemption back to him.

edit on 26-2-2011 by Xerxes1434 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
There seems little doubt that there was a global flood... of one degree or the next. It also looks fairly clear that there was more than a single grouping that was 'chosen' to survive it.

Please provide any scientific proof - - there was ever a global flood.

Please provide any scientific proof of anything that supports this story.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38

Yes to all the stories in the Bible and none are false.

And especially yes to Noah's ark.

II Peter 3:

[3] Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
[4] And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
[5] For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
[6] Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

They still believed it when this was written and there are several hundred flood stories that account 8 people
www.nwcreation.net...

...quoting a book to defend its material to be truth without question...

Open some REAL books throughout history and discover that your book is simply a rehash of earlier stories.

...or keep going in the vicious (asinine) circle of defending a fictional book using its own nonsense to support it.

The story of "Noah" is simply a COPY of the Epic of Gilgamesh.

And I thought folks of this faith only believed in the original and genuine characters and stories, and were against impostors and copies!!!

Geez.
edit on 24-2-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

Citing the similarities between the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Hebrew Bible's Flood story, some scholars have argued that the Epic of Gilgamesh is proof that the stories found in the Hebrew Bible are true because the Babylonians must have copied the Hebrew Bible's account of the Flood story.

Source

Who's right? It's depend on how people look at it. Bottom line, there is no right or wrong but popular opinion. Too many translates has translated the stories from time to time and altered everything based on popular opinion. In past, there are many gods in old scribes, but current believer based on current bible version said only one God and gods doesn't existed. Now, I am sharing my opinion that God are extraterrestrial. So do the gods, too. God is a man and scientist and many gods are men and scientists. I am sure there is one God as Mastermind of the Earth. More and more scribes surfaced and translated to confirm the nature of God and gods. The more we read them with our current understanding of vocabulary. We start to realizes that God and gods are extraterrestrial.

Regarding to extraterrestrial, I like the quote from bibleufo.com...

The Church Is Hiding It, the Experts Are Hiding It and the Government is Hiding It. Who should we trust? Nobody but our guts.

See ya.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BeenieWeenie

very good point .. with the disciples not coming along right away even though they were witnesses.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Interesting. I was really just talking about the coincidence of the sun's seasonal path, the winter solstice, it's movement stopping for three days, and then returning on December 25th. And the passing over the equator. I've verified this information, and many people are unaware of it. And it's correlation with the stories associated with many religions....

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yes, Christ taught that the desires of the world are snares and traps when we seek after them. He taught that seeking the approval of man leads to suffering of great kinds, and that by spending some time by ourselves, we can shield against this.

He taught that "I and the authority are one"....

I have found this to be incredibly true and by following this I have become happier than I ever was before.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xerxes1434
I seriously doubt a group of Jewish scholars would sit down and write up an entire made up history about themselves and cast themselves in the light of being small, nomadic, and oppressed. Most cultures when they make up stories they make great boasts but not the ancient Hebrews. They came from humble beginnings by Abraham being called out of Ur of the Chaldees and were nomadic until they established a kingdom which rose and fell. They tell about their fall from God and redemption back to him.

*Sigh* and yet they are ,throughout, their god's chosen people. This is ultimately the most vainglorious claim a group can make.
Not so very humble really is it ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbinHood

I am curious about this one. Christ referred to "epilepsy" as a devil, or demon. Epilepsy is treated with modern medicine. How could this be a deveil or a demon? Just curious.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

It doesnt matter if the stories in the bible or other religious books are literally true.

They are meant to teach you how to live in harmony with God/Nature.

Noahs Ark for example teaches you to listen to "God" when he tells you natural disaster is coming. To act on the messages you receive. Whether or not an actual boat was built, I am sure many times in history people have listened to God and prepared for disaster, and because they did, they survived.

The ten commandments, the laws regarding food, all of these are geared towards survival. Interpreting nature in ways that allow you and your group to survive better than those who do not.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by aero56

You would be assuming that what they called epilepsy is the same thing we do. It could have been a "demon" in the sense that some parasite that infects the brain and causes convulsion could have been the root of their version of "epilepsy."

These people lived in times and in a region where parasites were a real health problem that could kill you or make you very, very sick.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join