It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Believe In Soulmates?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hello.

Let's talk about something a little more positive than what's been flying around lately... soulmates.

First off, does anyone believe on this forum that this concept can be true? I'll explain my opinion in a bit...

A soulmate is described to be the other half of a person's soul. The one that is TRUE to your relation... whether you want to argue if it's man or woman these days... anyone is welcome to answer.

I feel like this is a possibility. One might argue that you are born in a certain area, and you will meet certain people, and wherever you are born there will be all sorts of "soulmates" that would match you just as well as the other. Or one will have better qualities than the other. I like to think like I was meant to be born where I was born. About half a year ago I met a girl and I never thought she would be on so many of the same wavelengths as me. I am able to remain myself, and still I want to be near her more and more. Typically people complain about having to make large sacrifices to stay with their loved ones in relationships, but I don't feel like I'm losing anything. I'm able to express myself how I always have and still give her exactly what she deserves. We both have the same mindset, beliefs, and we have great communication... it's unlike any other relationship I've been in before. I already knew this girl was the one within the first week I met her.. just the feelings and way we interact.

So how bout it ATS... anyone think differently or similarly?

Here's a cool little site I stumbled across on the google machine:

What Is A Soulmate?

Many theories exist as to what is a soulmate. The original roots of the concept go back to a belief in reincarnation. A soulmate is someone that you have encountered in many different life times and have loved many times. That is why the first time you meet them in this lifetime you feel as if you have known them forever before you even knew their name. There is a mystical deja vue energy right from the start. Can you have more then one soulmate during your lifetime? Originally, the answer was no. As the definition of the word soulmate has changed, so has that answer. People’s religious and spiritual beliefs deeply affects how they view the concept of soulmates.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Myollinir

Well there are a collection of people around the world who are more chemically compatible with you than the other several billion. If you find one, then you win

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm a believer, yet to no avail have i found her lol good luck in your relationship man.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I wouldnt know any facts about this topic, only my beleifs. I do feel there there could possibly be one person out there, that I am totally and completely attached to, and each life time I meet them in different ways. I couldnt tell you if we are supposed to be compatible spiritually or what, they may not even beleive the same thing I beleive. To be honest, I felt this with the last woman I was with, for some reason I cant seem to get rid of her. She is Jehovahs Witness, and i'm I gues you can consider me spiritual, no longer bound by man made religion.
But for whatever reason, I feel like I knew once before in a previous lifetime or dimension, or whatever other realm might be out there.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm not sure. It's something I'd like to believe in.

There have been a couple of people in my life who I've met and have felt as though they were a "soulmate", but over the years, we've either drifted apart or have lost contact. My belief is that with a soulmate, once you've found them, you can't live without them.

So either they weren't really "soulmates" to begin with, and I am yet to meet my actual soulmate. Or, maybe it's possible that each of us could have more than 1 soul mate, who comes to you at a time in your life when you unknowingly need them for whatever reason, and then perhaps they leave when they've done what they need to do...

Or, maybe as someone else said, soulmates don't actually exist and you're just lucky if you meet a few people that you connect deeply with.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Hey man, I believe it is possible. You have described the relationship I have with my girlfriend perfectly. We have great communication and we have a load of similarities. I see other relationships and think mine is too good to be true. I feel very content that I have met my soulmate. I truly believe that. We have been together 2 years now, and we live together. Everything has been perfect. None of this "hard to cope with" situations we never thought we would see. It has just been, well perfect.
Some people may doubt this man, but maybe they haven't found their soulmate yet.

Peace and Light bro!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I wasn't a believer, until I met the man I'm engaged to. We have both had so many similar experiences, and both have had been let down before. We have the same sense of humor...It feels like I've known him before. When we talk nothing else matters, we can seriously talk for 6 hours straight without realizing that time even exists. I always know when he needs me...and it seems like he knows me better than I know myself. His flaws, although make me want to smack him with a sammich, make him...him.....and they do not effect my love for him. He teaches me about myself as well. I feel like I'm writing a love letter...and this should go into someone's locker....this is my love letter to you ats

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I believe there are souls that we reincarnate with over and over again. each time they may take a different role in our "life". a brother in this life may have been a sister in previous lives, a lover presently may have been a best friend in the past. Over time I'm sure certain souls choose to wait for each other and experience the next life together as mates, soul mates if you will.

I've had to explain it to people as this. think of it as a huge MMORPG (World of Warcraft, Everquest etc) you live... you experience, your character dies & you simply roll up a new character and wait for your friends to join you. with each new character you choose a different style of life to experience... a different role to play. all the while learning new lessons.

Nobody says your soul mate HAS to be good for you. could be old Karma you owe them or they owe you... could be old rivalries that go on thru the ages ... an Arch Nemesis so to speak.

OR I could be wrong and this is all there is ... one shot and we're worm food. logic would dictate that as the "easy/simplest answer". but, why would any of this be "easy OR simple"?

edit on 23-2-2011 by jazkaat because: to add a negative spin...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I only half-believe in soul mates... but I have a different personal definition of exactly what a soul mate is. I believe that my soul mate is literally someone who was made to be with me (and I, made to be with him). As if the whole purpose of my existence is to find this person, and vice versa. But that is mostly because of my "fairy-tale princess" way of thinking when it comes to ideal love. (D*mn Disney movies!)

And I have a feeling that having this particular outlook is going to screw me over in the end. I have an ideal image in my mind of who my soul mate is (no specific person, that I know of), but the image/personality/etc is so specific that I highly doubt anyone like that exists in reality. And if I can't happily settle for anything less than my defined soul mate, then I'm totally gonna die alone. Kinda depressing, ain't it? Hah!

So I've been trying to retrain my mind in the way I think about love and soul mates. I want to believe that I have a soul mate out there somewhere and that we're both looking for each other and we inevitably meet and live happily ever... But life certainly doesn't work like that.

You can't just find someone you love and then live happily ever after, because love takes hard work. It isn't just something you can find... but rather, it's something you need to build up over time. Obviously we all know this... but its more fun to believe the fairy tale version. And honestly, I'm sure there will be a select few of us who ARE lucky enough to meet their "other half" (Aristophanes' take on love in Plato's Symposium, eh? eh? anyone?
).

I just hope I'll be in that select few. *crosses fingers*

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

No and I think the belief is harmful. It creates this notion that relationships don't require work, is a bunch of unrealistic expectations that you should want to gaze into your significant other's eyes for a lifetime.

Keep looking for something that does not exist and you will never be happy with anything you happen to find

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This girl used to come by my studio regularly, it wasn't until I started to talk to her that I began to get excited about her coming by every week or so, she was so like me it was uncanny she thought about subjects similar to me i.e. law of attraction/fashion/music/lizard men all subjects we agreed upon
, and she made me laugh, it's not often a girl is the one who makes me laugh, and when I was near her my spirit felt like it lifted, like I resonated when she was around, even when I was down as soon as she came near I just got this energy off of her, then one day she stopped coming by and I never got the chance to let her know how I felt, I remember one time she said

You probably hate me don't you
(she had just poured glitter all over the floor)

and I replied

Oh no I'm a professional, I don't feel emotion towards the clients...

*sigh* such lies

I get quite a bit of female attention but no one I've come across stimulates me on a level like she did, I hope to experience it again sometime be it with her or with someone new

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I used to, there was a time where I thought that no matter who you are, there's a person just for you. I thought I had met that person, throughout my life I've been trying to fill this huge empty soul sucking void which radiated throughout me. That person, seemed to make that void disappear. I felt "complete" if that makes sense, I felt like I never had to spend another sleepless night alone.

It didn't last long. I soon found myself wanting to feel that void again, because that felt a hundred times better then being called names, being threatened each and every day even over the most trivial of things. "When you get back from work, I won't be here..." was a common farewell in the mornings for me. Should I leave something "out of place" for more then what she deemed allowable, I'd be kicked, called names. When she was really feeling "in the mood", she'd stick her head out the window and scream at the top of her lungs, "Help help! He's going to rape me! He's going to kill me!". I was on my knees, begging her to stop.

My nerves were shot and I didn't know what to do. I couldn't have any contact with my family, if she found out I "betrayed" her and called my brother or mother for a chat, I'd be asked, "Oh, did you miss your brothers **** that much?" Or, "Do you miss your mothers *****?" I felt alone, even more so when I actually was alone.

We broke up, we have a kid together. And even to this day, she has a hold over me and threatens both of us. I've not been able to build my self esteem up after her, and I feel like I'll be alone forever. Who want's a broken 20 something guy?

But I hope, I lay awake and think about just feeling close to someone again. Soulmate or not.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I believe in soul-mates. I believe that the 2 are of one being that was split many eons ago and when time is right they will reunite back to the one being. I don't think you should spend your days searching for each other as the purpose of your 'life' is to gain experience and knowledge. If you should encounter each other, it would be a great joining of souls.Bear in mind, depending on your life's agenda, you are not going to spend the rest of your blissful days together. Sometimes they may need to finish their learning of life lessons and you may be done your experience or not...that can lead to you separating for this lifetime. You will find though, most times your lives mirror each other in eerie ways....similar tastes, childhoods, aspirations etc.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

From an astrological standpoint, I heard once that there are approximately 2 perfect matches for you or soul mates which you will encounter in your lifetime.......I really hope so bkz I already wore out my first one, lol

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

It's better to be alone than with or around a crazy person. People have mothers who act this way and it is even more difficult for them to get free. Do it and you will be happier. My mother in law's husband just died in October and she is so extremely happy. He was mean and controlling of the money. She has cleaned through the house, removed most of the furniture she hated and he smoked up, she has an auction planned, and has the house up for sale. She runs around with her lady friends and is nervous but very happy. she spent twenty years taking care of him while he was sick and cranky. So be happy life is short.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
im glad everyone is giving nice responses to this thread!

i agree with everyone's viewpoints... i suppose sometimes when you think too much about a soulmate it does create some unrealistic scenarios that might be unreachable for actual relationships you will have. i don't think you should throw everything out of the window and expect the highest from every person you come across, but it definitely is nice to notice the things that totally appeal to you and see how this person you got with may potentially be great to spend a very long time with. perhaps it is harder to find this "soul mate" for some people while others are pretty lucky in terms of time.

i wish everyone in this thread luck with their relationships, present and the future! yes relationships are work, but realize that you don't need to sweat the small things because life is too short and there are probably some really great things you can appreciate your significant other for when you don't worry about trivial matters of this life

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Wow, this is going to sound really sappy... be warned...

I didn't believe in the concept of soul mates whatsoever. But then I met this girl who became my best friend and it was the closest friendship I've ever had. We had a weird mental connection - not telepathy - but it was like our wavelengths were synchronized to each other. If I was reading a book on a random subject like pirates the next time we would talk she'd randomly break out into pirate imitations even though I hadn't mentioned yet to her what I was reading.

But it didn't work out. I stupidly revealed my feelings which she didn't reciprocate and it made the relationship weird so I avoided her and it eroded our friendship.

I still believe in soul mates, just not that they always end up together. THAT'S the fairy tale.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

No and I think the belief is harmful. It creates this notion that relationships don't require work, is a bunch of unrealistic expectations that you should want to gaze into your significant other's eyes for a lifetime.

Keep looking for something that does not exist and you will never be happy with anything you happen to find

Just because you've found your soulmate it does not mean the relationship does not require work. I would say it requires more work especially if you are not ready for each other. Your Soulmate is your mirror image, you can see past each others masks and you have to be careful about what you say (expecially in disagreements) because you can really hurt each other.

We are all spiritual beings, everything in the universe was created out of the same stuff, so therefore everything is the same. The difference is that the Human is self-conscious. When we are not individualized in this plane (The planes of duality) theres is no up-down, good-evil, light-darkness, male-female. Before individualization there was a shard of consciousness (this is the way I can better explain what I believe as my Truth) and this shard of consciousness splits in two so i can experience duality. This other half is your Soulmate, (a Better term is a True-flame since souls come in groups but that is another discussion).

That life long quest of Love is just your Soul searching for it's missing half.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ugh. Nope. Not anymore....

I was engaged to a guy once who I thought was my soulmate. He thought the same about me. We were best friends over the internet for years and years and then we finally decided to meet in person. We fell for each other pretty quick. I was planning to move overseas to his hometown to be with him. We were planning our wedding as he asked me to marry him about a year after we decided to become a couple. Everything was going great. We had everything in common. Made each other laugh. Declared our love for one another over and over again. And, even used that sappy 's' word you mentioned.

Until one day...He broke my heart by telling me he didn't want a relationship at all anymore. And, then I found out that he was screwing around with a girl that lived close to him.

Yeah, I really don't believe in having a 'soulmate' anymore after that. People have their own minds and they will leave you no matter how close you are to them.

I'm still pretty bitter about it all and I have tried to see other people since then. And, I just can't seem to care about them as much as I did him. Even almost 4 years later. And, everytime I hear his name. I'm still tempted to chug a lug a bottle of vodka like I did after he dumped me. Pretty hard when he shares the same name as a well known late night talk show host. Good thing I keep that bottle of vodka on my desk!

That's my 2 cents.
edit on 24-2-2011 by weareclouds because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
When I look back at the girls that I had serious crushes on, but for a strange reason would hesitate to approach, I realise that they all had strikingly similar characteristics to my sister/mother.... I think I realise why on one hand they seemed attractive, and on the other they seemed forbidden.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join