It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS -1 A Witness to History

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I got to thinking about this post, and KK. Not just KK but people of that age-the age of growing up from the 60's to late 80's. The good years of the Space program.

It seems now-a-days, kids could care even less about NASA and the alike. It seems that the whole Leaving this Planet concept is lost with the current teachings in our High Schools.

My 16 year old has been getting educated at home for the last 4-5 years. I would put him up against most others when it comes to NASA/Space/Travel etc. I have to do it. Cause he wasn't learning about it properly in school.

Our days were good, with some terrible losses also but I think-looking back at it now-that we as citizens of the USA seemed to be more in touch with the program and supported it. Now it seems with the lost interest that they have decided go bypass us little people and let us just sitting here in limbo. IMO.

I don't know how to say it other than.... the National momentum and support of NASA has dwindled a lot in the last 10-15 years.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Wow. Putting my envy to one side and stifling the jealousy, that's a hell of an OP. Not only being at the launch, but having a 'ring-side seat' is just fantastic.

This image should be on your wall, if it isn't already...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/146e593eb329.jpg[/atsimg]

It looks like the control panel of the Starship Enterprise.

I'd flag your OP more than once if I could.

edit on 23-2-2011 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thanks for starting the thread, i mean to get my notes and photos together to remember that day. It really was scary -- there were so many things never done before, not even in unmanned test flights.

i really appreciate the electrical excitement on this thread and mean to help boost the amperage shortly.

I was on console in Houston, for the 'Ascent Team' ("Silver Team" led by Neil Hutchison) -- my position was 'OMS/RCS Consumables", monitoring the fuel supply for the auxiliary propulsion system (that had to work, if they were to get home).. We had drilled and drilled and drilled, so it didn't seem real.... until afterwards, listening to the comm loop tapes, we could hardly recognize the voices because they all were pitched an octave or more higher!!

I need to go find that tape!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer, I remember the first launch being on a sunday morning?

Regardless, fun post.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

Some of us youths were subjected to "Sunday School"

I've should have made that clearer

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Great post, OP.

I was present for STS-54, and have been to KSC about a dozen times over the years. It's one of my favorite places to visit. The Saturn V building is probably the most impressive, being able to walk underneath the rocket is amazing. My first visit to KSC was in 1976 when I was 11 years old.

Anyone remember the first Enterprise flight on top of the 747 launch vehicle?

Thanks for the post.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Thanks Kandinsky but that was rather "Horse and Buggy" compared to today. Lots of knobs, switches and wires though.

Here is my current set up at my house. I had an editorial shop for 12 years but just work from home now in a home studio. FInal Cut Pro HD: (I'm also an AVID Editor) All done with Desktop computers nowadays. (Non linear) Pretty basic set up.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebea6850cbad.jpg[/atsimg]

Still requires decks though:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/329fb10c0a35.jpg[/atsimg]

And still lots and lots of wires: (Back of rack above)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03e75f076b9b.jpg[/atsimg]

Regards and thanks for the interest.

edit on 23-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Good kit. My TFT just died prematurely so I'm boosting my carbon footprint and retro-style simultaneously by using a a beige CRT monitor. I mean, yeah, some might say it's an old piece of junk, but it's more of a statement. In a way, it's pure iconoclasm...a protest against consumerism...ahem..cough...choke..

That, and the idea of moving it scares me.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Coolio. Actually, I prefer CRT's. My Edit System before I upgraded had Ultra Hi Rez .28 dot pitch 21" CAD Monitors (shown below) I liked them way better than LCD / Plasma Flat Panels. Much superior detail and color rendition. I don't even want to think about the radiation leak I was exposed to all those years with my face planted 3' away. (Although I was able to snag 2nd place in a Homer Simpson look-a-like contest. LOL ) When I turned those suckers on, the hair on my arms would stand straight up.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a1240ddee83c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Despite my best attempts to describe the scale and immensity of the size of Shuttle I felt I wanted to try to illustrate that point a little better. As others who've added, unless you've seen it up close it is difficult to imagine. Here are a couple of shots that depict this better. I've circled people in red.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a08ed0dc02b0.jpg[/atsimg]

It is a big honking thing. I'd also like to thank all who participated and the support. I'm humbled by the response and your replies are appreciated.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

You're killing me.

Sandbagging pics? Kidding.

These are totally mind blowing.

Keep em coming.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Great thread. I remember being in middle school and watching the liftoff in class (although I forget which class)

Also - thanks for the embed Signals. Beat me to it! (and one of my favorite songs post-MP)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Great timing on this thread K.K.

With the last shuttle mission started-it means it going to end, soon.

Space Shuttle Discovery Blasts Off on Final Flight
www.foxnews.com...#

Consider yourself a very lucky man to have been able to experience what you did with the program.

And I consider us here at ATS very lucky that you shared your experiences and thoughts-A true insight and up close feeling could be felt when reading you opening OP and some of the replys-as well.

Anyway, good timing and it was nice to see the program back then-from a difference angle.

edit on 2/25/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thank you again kind sir. I was a little reluctant to share given some of the views on here that NASA is a big bad evil machiavellian empire. Heck I myself was initially drawn to this site while considering Moon hoax theories which I now realize are unfounded.

Watching Discovery blast off yesterday on the NASA feed then running outside to catch a distant glimpse (I'm on Fla West coast) made me feel like a kid again. Granted there are aspects of NASA I find puzzling and I often wish as a whole they were more forthcoming with information, they are some of VERY best and brightest. Having lived on the Space Coast seeing my neighbor mowing his own yard and realizing he was a true "Rocket Scientist" made me realize they are more like us than dissimilar.

Thanks again four your encouragement to craft this thread and since you enjoy pictures so much, here is one fer ya. (not mine)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/414651f575c9.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 25-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

You're killing me.

Sandbagging pics?

RIGHT!?

Post 'em all Kinda Kurious we wanna see everything!!! Seriously though, extremely interesting and engaging thread thank you so much for your story OP.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

When I was growing up my next door neighbor's brother commanded STS-3. A dumb worthless note, but it's the only thing I could think of to post here.

Very cool thread.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Neither dumb nor worthless. I had lunch with that guy (Jack Lousma) a few years later at a chinese restaurant in Arlington. Although his was the first Shuttle mission to test the robotic arm and the only Shuttle mission to land somewhere other than Edwards AFB or the Cape, I was mainly interested in hearing about his experiences on Skylab.

Had I known that he was also the CapCom when the shi*t hit the fan on Apollo 13, I would have talk with him about that. Talk about a witness to history!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

Definitely a NASA hall of famer.

Btw he had another brother who lived nearby. I never did get to meet "Jack" personally. The brother who lived next door to me had a family get together. Seen him pitching horseshoes with his other brothers about 20 feet away in the side lawn that was adjacent to our driveway. As I went to get the mail that day walking down the driveway I could tell that "Jack" was definitely the patriarch of the family. That's the impression that I got. Just an admiration focus seemed to be place upon him. Like an honored guest. Like another famous "Jack" who had the same family crown placed on his head, JFK. Sort of like that. The step daughter I remember who lived on the other side of their house could never have a conversation it seemed for more than several minutes with out mentioning the guy. LoL Anyway, I'm sure you can feature what I'm saying here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join