It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mythicist Position

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
rnaa,

"Campbell's works are on the order of 50 to 60 years old. If the word 'mythicist' has only recently been coined, how could he mention it?"

"Mythicist" is NOT a new word. The "mythicist position" is what's new. You have no idea what this thread is even about. The very first sentence in the article titled, "What is a Mythicist" reads:

"The terms "mythicism" and "mythicist" may be new to many people, even though they have been around for a couple of centuries..."
www.stellarhousepublishing.com...

The History of Mythicism
www.stellarhousepublishing.com...

Definitions of terms such as mythicist, mythicism etc are vague and not very useful but the definition for astrotheology has existed since 1714:

Astrotheology: "Theology founded on observation or knowledge of the celestial bodies" ... such as the sun, moon, planets, stars, constellations etc.

- William Derham, coined in 1714

"The ideas that appear to be embraced by this new term are discussed in detail by Jung, Campbell, and dozens if not hundreds of others. There is nothing new about the ideas, as you seem to acknowledge: "

You are wasting my time as you have no idea what you're talking about. It's blatantly obvious that you haven't even read the links or viewed the video on the subject of this thread. I have already handily demonstrated that Jung, Campbell absolutely DO NOT discuss the details of the 'mythicist position.' You're not even reading the posts here either.

AGAIN, "What this means is that there is absolutely no discussion of the mythicist position in academia, universities or schools. That's precisely why NT and biblical scholars and theologians are not required to study the mythicist position at all in order to get their Ph.D. Get it? "The most logical explanation is completely missing in action" as the video even says."

Those attempting to argue against having a clear, succinct position for mythicists are merely proving my point here for just how poorly informed people are on this subject demonstrating why a mythicist position is sorely needed. So, thank you for helping to prove my point.

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance"

— Albert Einstein

edit on 4-3-2011 by GoldenKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Rebuttal to Dr. Chris Forbes concerning 'Zeitgeist, Part 1'
truthbeknown.com...

Dr. Chris Forbes on Zeitgeist part 1
www.freethoughtnation.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenKnight

This was one of the most valuable things I ever learned. It opened the door for me to really appreciate the wisdom of people who were doing as much as they could to understand themselves and their world, while holding the most primitive tools and trying to help very unsophisticated minds appreciate the difference between survival and civilization. Brilliant men and women.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Here's more evidence for the case for mythicism:

Have archaeologists found evidence of the Israelite hero Samson?

Samson and Delilah
freethoughtnation.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Fascinating news!

The first person, to my knowledge, to write a Master's thesis specifically on Jesus mythicism has published the book for all to see. It has been peer-reviewed by leading scholars in the fields of History, Philosophy, Biblical Studies and Studies in Religion.

freethoughtnation.com...

So, this guy would be the first to set out to obtain his Ph.D. by writing his Master's thesis specifically on Jesus mythicism. So, from this point onward, nobody can ever claim that there are no mythicists with Ph.D's as claimed in the interesting thread below:

Religion and the Ph.D.: A Brief History

edit on 6-9-2013 by GoldenKnight because: trying to get the video to work www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rnaa

In exactly what way is this 'Mythicist Position' new?

It seems extremely ordinary and mainstream to me.

You could try reviewing just about anything by Carl Jung or Joseph Campbell's masterpiece "The Masks of God"
edit on 22/2/2011 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

My thoughts exactly!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Okay, I'm a mythist and didn't know it. Except for the astronomy part - I always thought that these myths represented various aspects of human experience, nature, and psychology.
Though constellations can also be used to signify such aspects of man, I can't imagine they are the ultimate focus and subject of religious mythology.
In fact, that sounds so silly, I must be misunderstanding because I am so tired. I think I'll get off line and go to bed.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

You clearly didn't watch the video or read any of the links. There has never been an actual official comprehensive mythicist position before. Look it up in any dictionary or encyclopedia and you will find absolutely *NOTHING* - and if you knew what you were talking about at all you already know that.

"Never before has there been such a succinct, clearly explained comprehensive position for mythicists. You should be made aware that the mythicist position outlined above is the very first clear outline of the mythicist position throughout history...."

Evemerist vs. Mythicist Position

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Hey, you'd probably appreciate this book review by Dr. Price:

"I find it undeniable that many of the epic heroes and ancient patriarchs and matriarchs of the Old Testament were personified stars, planets, and constellations."

- Dr. Robert Price, Biblical Scholar with two Ph.D's; book review
www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenKnight
reply to post by Bluesma

Hey, you'd probably appreciate this book review by Dr. Price:

"I find it undeniable that many of the epic heroes and ancient patriarchs and matriarchs of the Old Testament were personified stars, planets, and constellations."

- Dr. Robert Price, Biblical Scholar with two Ph.D's; book review
www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com...
``

Blah. I stick by my position. Though the stars, planets, and constellations became symbols of human experiences and attributes (Mars= war, opposition, Venus = love, attraction, etc.) To suggest that myths simply mean to refer to these objects devoid of their symbolism makes absolutely no sense to me.

And if such researchers actually accept the concept that these planetary bodies were used as symbols of human experience, than in interpretting them, they could just go directly that which is symbolized (like "this character symbolizes war" , rather than "this character symbolizes Mars".)

Culture gains these layers and layers of symbolism through time, in which the association-clusters can be immediately ceased by the people at a certain time (there was a time all people associated conflict with the planet Mars) , but later, and by a different peoples you have to dig to get to the experience being communicated!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Read, 'Yahweh and the Sun: Biblical and Archaeological Evidence for Sun Worship in Ancient Israel'

by well-known Biblical Scholar Rev. Dr. J. Glen Taylor

Also, don't forget that the zodiac, Pleiades and Orion are all mentioned in one of the oldest books in the bible, Job 38:31-32.

Jesus's Return, Blood Red Moons and the Bootes Constellation
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join