It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Option to prevent disagreers from replying to certain threads.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

I actually enjoy reading both sides of the debate it makes for a much more interesting read,trolls haters and all.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

While trolls, disinfo agents, or just plain skeptics can be really annoying and distracting when you are trying to get a point across and I have asked chemtrail debunkers to move to a different thread, I think that an option like that would be a bad idea. They serve a valuable purpose in both presenting another point of view and in keeping believers intellectually honest or at least open to questioning. True it can devolve into name calling and intellectual dishonesty of its own sort, but to block someone from posting opposing opinions is a dangerous and slippery slope regardless of their motivations for doing so.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

What would be the " POINT " then to even Post on this Site ? If you Cannot Take Criticism on your Thoughts or Opinions maybe a Career in Politics is in your Future . Here we Debate with each other in a Healthy way which Promotes Informative Discourse for ALL .

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
ATS would be BORING if everyone agree with everyone else all the time.

'nuff said.

I totally agree.
Anyone who disagrees should be post banned to think about it!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Wouldn't it be neat to have an OPTION for the OP to prevent people who disagrees with the thread topic from replying?

No, it wouldn't be neat.

As you are probably most likely wrong about most things, you would be promoting ignorance, instead of denying it.

Close the door behind you, thank you.

Rev.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
An account registered in 2005. Less than 500 posts.

Sock-puppet account? Lurker with trollish suggestions of their own?

Things that make you go.... Hmmmmmm.... Very interesting....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If folks are so worried that someone will disagree with what they post, then maybe ATS should create a "No Reply" posting forum. In this forum you could post to your hearts content and no one can disagree with you. This forum should be totally separate from the main boards and completely private. In fact, it should be sooo very private that only the poster can read what is written.

Oh, I guess you could just open an MS Word doc, write down your thoughts then delete it...same thing.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Wouldn't it be neat to have an OPTION for the OP to prevent people who disagrees with the thread topic from replying?

No, actually it would be detrimental, not only to ATS but to the original poster.

Let me explain why in very specific detail.

(see my reply to the below thread for more specific detail)

A forum and or message board, such as ATS is all about Deny'ing Ignorance, in every such way as possible.

The best thing about ATS is that it is just like a chicken rotisseire.

SKL's reply : We need a way to balance the flag system that brings trash to the front

SEXY ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

You need the right ingredients or no one wants your damn chicken to begin with.

Threads such as the ones about Nibiru, chem trails, 2012 etc. are often attacked by disagreers. Their replies contribute nothing what so ever to the thread. They can be one liners that attack the OP with insults or jokes. Or huge long passages quoted from somewhere else. These are all useless spam that take up space on the thread. Popular threads can go up to 20 pages and HALF of them are just spam from disagreers.

I hate threads on Nibiru, "aliens", and "U.F.O.'s", but I contribute to them occasionally.

As well, I made my own thread disputing their existence, in every way.

This is how we share our ideas.

Aliens, the Boogeyman, and Creatures That Go Bump In the Night

Thank you for making this thread so I can promote my ideas and disagree with you fully.

If there was a option that tells disagreers to stay away, hence no more bitterness and bickering with each other in the thread.

This is the onus of EVERY ATS member.

To come to a consensus, denying ignorance, and share ideas.

My biggest complaint about ATS is no one does a damn thing with this information.

Other than to complain, whine, and bitch about Government, and never physically take them on.

Without weapons, without violence, without stupidity.

Imagine talking with a friend about unicorns. Then some guy runs up between you two and starts flapping their arms and jumping up and down screaming about how unicorns do no exist. Pretty annoying isn't it?

The onus is upon you, and anyone else, as the original poster.

To share your thoughts, ideas, and or evidence.

Even if you sound like a friggin lunatic, even if others disagree with you, and if everyone agrees with you.

Trolls are are welcome to each and every one of my threads.

Just as much as those who agree with me.

Their bump, whether meant to de-rail my thread, or disagree, or just insert a difference of opinion, means my threads go to the top of the heap, again, and again, and again, and again.

Are you getting the picture now?

Each and every person who has a disagreement with you, just as much as those who have agreed, have now "bumped" this thread, whereas if we were blocked, your thread, would have died, like it honestly and no disrespect meant here, should have done.

Honestly, who the Hell cares if someone disagrees with you, they're contributing to your thread?

I want people who agree, disagree, want to follow me, and want to kill me contributing.

Otherwise, ATS and life are God-damned boring as Hell, and I'd sooner kill myself.

Then be a dictator, a Puppet Dictator, and or someone who wants blind followers.
edit on 2/20/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
An account registered in 2005. Less than 500 posts.

Sock-puppet account? Lurker with trollish suggestions of their own?

Things that make you go.... Hmmmmmm.... Very interesting....

More than likely a sock-puppet account.

Whether for a regular member, or an Admin seeking out Moderator potential, it is unknown.

I agree it is very interesting.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
No. Just no way.... People have their right to free speech, just as any OP does...

Just because they have a different opinion is NO REASON to ignore that person....

The motto of this site is to deny ignorance, and if you only hear the view points that you want to hear... Well... Just what do you think you will learn and gain? Nothing... That is what.

Bad idea.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
There's a reason i'm marrying a stubborn red headed Aries who is just as smart as I am.

We don't always agree, and I don't want my marriage to get boring.

I came to ATS to DISCUSS issues not to dig out a little niche where my ideas and opinions would be safe from examinations and rebuttal.

I've grown IMMENSELY as a person because of it. Do NOT cheapen this experience for yourself by locking your mind out from other ideas.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
With the wide variety of topics on ATS I don't understand why people just don't go to the threads they have an interest or belief in. If there are threads I disagree with I don't go there unless I want to read - making remarks and booing what you don't agree with is rude. I don't think we need an option for this because it would infringe on free speech. Let's treat them as trolls and not feed them.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Amen.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dfc7e9c30219.jpg[/atsimg]

Give yourself an applause, please.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This is a bad idea. Thank the holy space-goat that this won't happen either way.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

While I understand that psuedo skepticism is a problem with some topics, I cannot condone a preventative measure, like the one you propose in your OP. First of all, if opinion is polarised on an issue, for instance Niburu, then you have to make a choice about how thick your skin is before you post your thread.
If you have the gumption and the elbow grease to work up a FANTASTIC thread that pulls together into a truely awesome argument for your position, rather than a rambling mess as such things can easily become, then you ought to have the brass nuts to just put up with the presence on your thread of people who disagree. Otherwise there is NO point in having the discussion, or submitting the information you have to the board.
The whole idea of this forum, this WEBSITE is that the information here is exposed to a wide cross section of thinking styles, intellects, and methods of examination, as practiced by the membership as a whole. It is not a place to aquire only the appreciation of like minds, and would be greatly damaged by any move away from the all comers approach we currently work with.
Just because someone disagrees with your thinking, or your thread, or any of the content therein, does not mean that they are to be villified, or prevented from commenting. What it means is, that you have to raise your game to the point where you can rise above all that with superior reasoning and so on. If you are having trouble proving your point, or even arguing it then there are two possible causes for this. One is , your debating skills may need a polish here and there, and the other could be far worse of course. That would be, your position may well be indefensible due to a logical or factual collapse somewhere in the argument. If thats the case, either regroup and rethink your strategy in terms of the debate, or just pick your topics more wisely and carefully.
There ARE those who will give you hassle just because they fancy to make someones life miserable today, and I hate that as much as anyone else, but this here is the internet. It may be a centre of culture and information, but there are also an awful lot of lonely , depressed, passive agressive , broken people who like making everyone elses day difficult. When you come across these... just suck it up.
To cut a long story short, I refer you to Jim Carrey in Liar Liar :

www.youtube.com...

Keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
censoring speech on the internet is the same as when peeps use to burn books.. do you really want to be doing that..

kx

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm not saying that threads shouldn't have people disagreeing with the topic. For example; A person creates a thread about news, facts, ideas, info on chemtrails or nibiru. Then in comes the flood of disbelievers, debunkers whining about how they DO NOT exist or posting one line jokes. They just go completely off topic and attacks the OP and others who are actually staying on topic and CONTRIBUTING to the thread. I think people should just stay on topic. If you don't think they exist, fine make a new thread about it.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

awesome perfect example of someone not staying on topic and attacking the OP
4,726 posts? probably all posts that don't really contribute to the thread at all. I can post junk like that too in every thread if I wanted to as well. I'll have thousands of posts.
edit on 21-2-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Example:

I can make a thread about Google hiding Nibiru in Google maps with a black box. You can make a thread about how Nibiru doesn't exist. How hard is that? Instead of creating pages on its existence in my thread.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

What I see going on a lot in threads is like this. You make a thread about politics, I go off spamming about McDonalds in your thread. Not really staying on topic now am I?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join