It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado warnings/detection funding cut during tornado season...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yeah what could go wrong?

National Weather Service faces big cuts

The National Weather Service faces a severe budget cut and rolling blackouts. Offices across the country, including ours in North Little Rock, would close for 27 days in a row if proposed federal cuts go through.

Right now, the U.S. House wants the National Weather Service to cut $126 million, or thirty-percent, of its budget by the end of June.

Each office would shut down for 27 days and furlough employees who now worry people could lose their lives if they can't warn you before severe weather strikes.

"During severe weather and tornadoes, seconds save lives," says National Weather Service union steward Dan Koch.

If this is true, this is freaking insane and will end up killing people. What about... I don't know... cut that money from foreign aid or the army or whatever and pay for this?

What's next... cutting NOAA's budget during the hurricane season?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well this ticks me off big time!!! Cutting the budget in an area that is for the safety of people and saves lives. Spring is almost here and with it comes an increase in strong storms and tornados. I won't feel very secure knowing the Natl. Weather Service does not have the funds needed to do their job. I certainly hope they can keep the radars up and running.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

wow

lets just stop replacing burned out traffic lights,, because the cost in man-hours is just too great./

dang stupid,, IMHO

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It's probably just another part of our government's plan for reducing over population.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yet another slap in the face of its citizens. "They got money for wars but cant feed the poor."

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

"If the radar were to go down, someone from Memphis would have to get in the car, drive three hours over here to make a repair, and during that whole time frame, if we had a tornado outbreak, we'd be out of luck. There would be no radar coverage out of central Arkansas,"

www.fox16.com...

Wow just wow, really? What is the reasoning behind these cuts? I thought that safety and security would be the very last of things to be even talked about being cut from a budget. Well for the sake of the jobs as well as other people who really depend on these warnings [especially in Tornado alley] I hope this proposal won't go through. Here's hoping solid reasoning is still alive and well where those who vote on this will see this as a downfall rather than a good act.

edit on 19-2-2011 by MystiqueAgent because: Clarity

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
well...all of you republicans voted these people in...and what...you're shocked?...they don't care about helping, or keeping safe the average american. they care about cutting taxes for the wealthy, and that means cutting any money from the budget that provides the type of service that may help ordinary people.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Maybe they will just have some guy yell really loud, "There's a f@#$ing tornado headed right this way, get the hell into some kind of shelter right now!"

To TPTB--

How about we NOT send $150 million dollars to Egypt and instead use that money where it will do the most good. Right here in the USA. Here's a novel idea you jackasses. Why not use taxpayer money to protect the lives of, oh I don't know, maybe the taxpayers!

And while you're at it, just for future reference, maybe you could also nix the $400,000 used so the Navy could perform a flyover at the Superbowl. In case you hadn't noticed, the stadium has what's called a ROOF and no one saw the damn flyover anyhow. I'm just sayin'.

Thank you for your consideration regarding these matters.

Sincerely,
The hard-working, taxpaying, fed up American citizens

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Ok folks what part of WE ARE BROKE do you not get. Yeah I'm upset to I live in NW AR. but the reality of our debt is if we don't drastically cut our spending. Or our country will end up like mexico's economy. I want them to cut every thing thats not related to our border defense and children's healthcare. Pull out of all the wars / sudo wars we are in. Separation from the crap in the world tell everyone that if they don't mess with us then we won't mess with them. No more immigration no more anything till our debt is clear. Rebuild our industrial sectors. Rebuild the family unit that takes care of there elders and stop buying all that crap we don't need.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It was already bad enough that they switched the TV to digital only. How are people with old portable TV's only gonna find out if a tornado is coming when the power is out?

Now this.

It's just pathetic how are government is now days.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This is a scare tactic. Software is what drives the warnings issued. Since nearly all news agencies have a leased line to the NEXRAD weather radar in their local area, their software will predict and recognize the patterns that lead to a tornado.

Resist the fear.....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Hey,
We all have to make sacrifices.
If we don't do this then Obama won't be able to afford another Dinner date in New York.
Emergency services will just have to wait. We have to send hundreds of billions to other countries so that they will have more money to hate us with.
How will we keep hundreds of military bases running world wide if we expect frivolous things like tornado warnings to protect Americans here at home?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I hope they really didn't do it because tornadoes are hitting full swing right now, just in Alabama there's 23 dead at least just today from tornadoes.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well thank god they didn't cut funding.

Otherwise more people would have died.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Last I heard they did cut funding for NOAA, and that in a few years we won't have 5 day forecasts unless they get it back

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Thank the gOP and the Tea Party for this as this is what they consider pork, anything that benefits "We The People" is erased and shredded. The same group who cut off funding for the Tsunami Early Warning System for the Pacific.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkansas
Ok folks what part of WE ARE BROKE do you not get. Yeah I'm upset to I live in NW AR. but the reality of our debt is if we don't drastically cut our spending. Or our country will end up like mexico's economy. I want them to cut every thing thats not related to our border defense and children's healthcare. Pull out of all the wars / sudo wars we are in. Separation from the crap in the world tell everyone that if they don't mess with us then we won't mess with them. No more immigration no more anything till our debt is clear. Rebuild our industrial sectors. Rebuild the family unit that takes care of there elders and stop buying all that crap we don't need.

This has nothing to do with our financial situation and do not dare sit there and justify this action. How about cutting Defense due to both conflicts winding down, or cutting the subsidies to Big Oil, that's right, they'd rather cut police officers, firefighters and teacher pay.

top topics

join