It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploding Manhole Covers in New York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Exploding Manhole Covers in New York

www.sott.net

Record snowfall is turning the city's mean streets even meaner, with 65 manholes exploding or catching fire since New Years, a utility spokesman said on Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Fascinting article about dozens of exploding manholes. Not sure that I am all that happy with their explanation though - what do you think? Could salt watter really produce enough gas to create these explosions and subsequent fires?

I know this may not be news to you if yo ulive in New York of course! But for the rest of us, or me at least, I had no idea this sort of thing happened.

www.sott.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I would say gas pipes bursting due to post glacial rebound...

Link about breaking pipes..Water, sewer, gas, etc....LINK:www.youtube.com.../u/9/BbgUpcktJcE
edit on 18-2-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Didn't this happen before in a movie about a giant volcano that no one knew about... I think it had tommy Lee Jones in it...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Actually manholes are deadly places due to gas build-up. Many deaths have occured in the past due to improper safety proceedures by workers who enter them with-out testing and venting properly.

www.myfoxny.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.myfoxny... .com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/low-oxygen-levels-in-manhole-deaths-in-tarrytown-20100909-apx

There are many links to this,this is just one. I've done manhole utility work,hard nasty dangerous stuff.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I have seen this before in movies taking place in NYC. I did a quick search on google using this phrase

incidence of manhole covers exploding in NYC

Lots of links of there with various dates, agree with OP startling to those of us who do not live in such a place.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
So it begins...

edit on 18-2-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

top topics

join