It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Government Internet Kill Switch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Not that this is a conspiracy in fact it is a known fact that the government has the ability to shut down the internet. However I felt it fit the conspiracy section due to how it can be abused by the Government and what measures are being taken to cut down on the rights of americans who seek access to the internet.

The president can Kill the entire internet thanks to a new bill created by Sen, Joe Lieberman:
Presidential Authority to Kill the internet

give the U.S. President and a branch of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) power to kill part or all of the internet

Here is the PDF of the bill Proposal from the Senate Website: Here

This new bill is called Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset or PCNAA. Through this bill the government and the president can simply shut down the internet and create a blackout of all communication. This is to insure our economic stability which also means the shutdown of dissenting websites that would propose a negative outlook on american industry and business.

US Govt Shuts Down 84000 Sites

In evidence of the dangers of the U.S. government's increasing "kill switch" powers regarding web servers inside the U.S., the Department of Justice and Homeland Security’s ICE last week essentially shut down 84,000 sites in a case of mistaken identity.

Further in this article what makes this concept more dangerous that the government is quick to shut down the internet for all Americans is the fact that Due process was involved. Shutting down 84,000 websites wasnt just one person behind a desk who made this decision. In fact they went through the courts and got warrants and everyone agreed that the internet needed to be shut down on those 84,000 sites. Even with all the checks and balances we have to insure our freedoms and the protection of our patriotic rights as Americans this error continued through the system and resulted in 84,000 sites being shut down.

Kill Switch is TOP PRIORITY says Republicans / Democrats

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and other congressional members introduced a placeholder bill and stressed that a cybersecurity measure is a top priority for the 112th Congress.

This congress is stressing that imposing a kill switch and total domination of cyberspace is the top priority of the US government and the 112th congress.

2 Hearings on Feb 17 about the right of Government to access ALL electronic communications

Two hearings tomorrow—one in court and one in Congress—will highlight the brewing debate over whether Congress should expand federal surveillance laws to force Internet communications service providers like Facebook, Google and Skype to build technical backdoors into their systems to enable government wiretapping.

This would mean that all sites such all sites that allow communication between parties such as Forums, Skype, or facebook must have Backdoors that are accessible by the US goverment to be able to monitor all traffic that they deem a matter of national security. Linking the definition of National Security in Cyberspace to Sen Liebermans bill would include protection of all US economic assets. This comes amid a google employee who recently started a facebook page that many say led to the revolution in Egypt. The purpose of these backdoors is to shut users down and track people who may cause any unrest or disturbance to us commerce Foreign or domestic.

All Americans will be forced to use a National ID

But now there is a new sheriff in town, with the White House announcing this month new guidelines to protect users. The sheriff is the US Department of Commerce. The law is the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace and it will allow the establishment of internet IDs.

The purpose of ONLINE id's would apply to Americans only and NOT the rest of the world. This bill would allow the government to build databases of the location purchases and chatter of all US based internet users. Access to the internet would be blocked and I think a small usb stick is used to hold the digital ID. From another website I read one of the reasons for this bill is that terrorists and other illegal aliens are allowed to use the internet in America. This would prevent anyone from using the internet in America unless they had one of these National Id's that granted the government exclusive access to all documents and files on the computer it is being transmitted from as well as all online activity by the user to prevent another terrorist attack like 9/11.

Here is a site that lists all congressman for a state, you can try to contact them though I feel this will be a fruitless endeavor and that not one person will actually reach a congressman or Senator. Were just people we dont have the millions that BP, Ebay, Target, Honeywell, or lockheed does that is paying these guys to make this happen.
Contact Your Congressman or Senator

edit on 18-2-2011 by tigpoppa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Holy !@#$%$!!!!!!!!!!! how can I contact my congressman to gaet proactive on stopping this?? I am taking a stance and making my voice heard!!! this has nothing to do with security and all to do with stopping the presses and information flow. It is a total encraochment on civil liberties

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

It does have to do with the security, for the elite. The day hints of a revolution are planned, the internet will go blank, to save all the mega wealthy elite from being pillaged and possibly worse. It's not a question of if but when this will happen.

People are working on an alternative as we speak.
Cyterror

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
They dont need to use the kill switch unless someone like anonymous gains control of the web. They are already starting to just quietly censor thing, and redirect your searches to what they want you to see.

Dont believe me? Search for videos of riot police in the US on google. You are going to see tons of images of the mid east, and none of the several hundred videos of riot police controlling crowds in the US you used to see.

Its creepy.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Just some food for thought I did not want to include this in the above post as it is merely opinion.

Look at what the internet is. Do you know how the internet works? The internet is a system of computers tied together using servers linked to other servers and so on and so forth. The internet is NOT a system of tubes or pipes, as stated by other US government officials. Senator Ted Stevens among others still try to convince americans that internet is a series of tubes or pipes that can get clogged. Ted Stevens even further elaborates that he got emailed the internet and it took him 3 days to get his internet. What was his job you wonder in the senate, he was the chairman United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. Essentially that means he was the guy in charge of the INTERNET for the senate so he is the go to guy for all technical questions. So dont ask me what he means by tubes, or why his tubes are clogged, just ask him why since hes the expert in government on Electronic Commerce and Communications.

You do pay for the internet right? You pay someone maybe comcast, verizon or AOL?
BUT
What does an internet Service Provider such as Comcast or AOL actually do?
(ISP means internet service provider or the person you pay to get on the internet)

These companies did not INVENT the internet nor are they needed for the internet. At home or work I am sure we all have networks we can use that dont need an ISP for us to connect too. In america ISP's are unnecessary in fact if you were to track just coming to this website you would see that your ISP has little to nothing to do with getting you here. To get to this site from your home computer your computer sends information through MANY MANY servers. Each server when your signal is bouncing from one to the next is called a hop. You may notice maybe 1 of these the first is your isp which acts as a gateway past that your not paying all those other servers to bounce to this website.
Who are those other servers?
Other companies or schools and such that are also using the internet or other locations are the servers.

As you can see ISP's are irrelevant one of the biggest scams ever put on the American people. They serve no purpose other than running lines but if you look at your bill your paying alot for some fiber optic lines. I can understand paying for the actual physical part. Paying for access to the internet is just silly though since with or without the ISP's the internet exists. In other words your ISPS are controls that are used to monitor all electronic communication in america per the 1985 Digital Millenium Copyright Act. This was the first step that began the slow roll of allowing the government to legally monitor all communication. This is why every court verdict regarding when an ISP hands over your personal information is ruled in favor of the government being allowed to access your personal information.

Programs, applications, and any encryption method that cant be accessed by the government are illegal. Every operating system including the one your on now has backdoors that allow the government to monitor all of your online activity. You can read about how the NSA monitors your online activity and knows our in this thread right now Here.

You may remember the Pentagon had a program that monitored all US online traffic but this was scrapped. good thing they got rid of it right? If thats what your thinking then you are mistaken. The only reason the Pentagon program was terminated was because the NSA was building a bigger and better system to do the same thing. Its kind of like having 2 marine corps it doesnt make any sense so out with the pentagon and in with the NSA.
All Americans Are terrorists

The central role the NSA has come to occupy in domestic intelligence gathering has never been publicly disclosed. But an inquiry reveals that its efforts have evolved to reach more broadly into data about people's communications, travel and finances in the U.S. than the domestic surveillance programs brought to light since the 2001 terrorist attacks.

In the end your provider is merely an extension of the government used to control access and monitor all of your online activity. You may notice the same trend in discussion from every US government leader that this is to protect commercial and industrial assets. So in other words there is no conspiracy they just blatantly tell you that the reason its all being watched is for corporate interests.

So if your skeptical you may want to know how this works probably cuz its pretty high tech and this stuff is way over most peoples heads no matter how smart they talk online. Maybe some pictures would help people who are skeptical understand the technology involved works. The government thinks its kind of annoying go through courts to determine if monitoring your online activity is legal, even though the government wins EVERY time and their online monitoring is declared legal by every court to date. Instead its easier to just go copy all the internet traffic which doesnt require monitoring your actual computer. This is done by going to your provider either comcast or verizon and building a small room next to the room that holds the server. In that room they put a computer that mirrors all the data coming in and out of every subscriber who is online. Its real easy and totally legal, though today a whole room isnt needed its just a box but as I said here are pictures and a description baes off a Wired magazine article. You can find out more and update yourself on how technology works Here

Do yous seriously think the reason for monitoring US citizens is for national defense to protect our infrastructure? Not that I know but I am pretty sure that our nuclear missiles are NOT connected to the internet. Also the internet is a global communications network that every person on the planet can access, monitoring us citizens does nothing hence its merely a corporate control used to maintain their grip of power.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tigpoppa

That was a great post. I hope part of it was saying that somehow we could bypass ISPs and have a freer net someday, somehow.

I just cant believe that so many of my fellow Amercians would be in on a plot to destroy America and her freedoms, spy on her people, make terrorists our of their fellow Americans. If it were just one or two megalomaniacs I would get it, I would understand. But for this to be happening to us there have to be a bunch of my countrymen and women betraying America and what she stands for.

What are you people thinking? Do you really think a little financial gain is worth what you are doing to your own country?

Rant over.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Here is my thinking on the issue. I DO NOT think Corporate Interests are trying to "destroy America".
In fact I think it is the opposite and they want stability. That being said it doesnt change the motivations for domination of the internet by corporate interests.

Corporate Interests want a stable america so they can sell you products and services. For example if there was an uprising in america or massive protests who would bid on items on ebay? Who would go to walmart to buy low priced shoddy imported goods? Marching around in sneakers and protesting leaves out the oil companies and we cant have that. If your busy dodging rubber bullets and tear gas how are you going to update your facebook status on your blackberry or text your Best Friend about something scandalous or some other social issue. Dont go make a big stir and head to the same place then all the other Mcdonalds franchises go empty.

As an example lets look at another issue that is under the radar for most and didnt really hit the news too heavy due to the uprisings in the middle east. In Pennsylvania legislators decided kids should have less sweets at school. Well corporate america cant let that stand. I love candy personally but the response to suggesting kids have less sugar is WAY OVER THE TOP. What happens in Pennsylvania after trying to put less sugar in kids lunches? Sarah Palin shows up with sugar cookies at schools in Pennsylvania to practically shove them down kids throats. Remove Sara Palin from the story and what you have left is basically corporate america teaching kids to consume. You dont think Palin flew there by magic someone PAYED for her flight and to go there. Our founding fathers and other freedom fighters would think this is a pretty stupid fight and to most people it is pretty stupid. But to corporate america this is a blow to their profit margins and they didnt waste one minute to get someone on a plane to go down there and forcefeed these kids the american way of life. This would be the "American way of life" as defined by Corporate Interests, who have their own vision of "America", consume, sleep, reproduce, buy more stuff.

You can read about it here.

I know I make light of the issue a bit though underneath is the corporate concern to keep americans on the straight and narrow hence any kind of uprising like what the google employee caused using facebook in Egypt must be stopped. Hence why Facebook is becoming the new target and the reason for this now. I would say debate but there is NO debate, there is merely legislation and technology. There is NO debate on these issues, turn on cspan or google it and prove me wrong. I assure in the last week all this has been happening all American news has been about Planned Parenthood Nascar or the dangers of the Muslim Brotherhood coming to power after these revolutions in the MId-east.

Keep in mind as I stated its not a conspiracy this is all fact and the legislation is real and the truth is as stated from the mouths of US government officals such as senators, congressman, military, etc, that they will shut down the internet to protect americas FINANCIAL and ECONOMIC interests. So its not like you need to read inbetween any lines just listen to what your own elected officials say its right there black and white AND YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE! (sadly there is NOTHING any person can do about this because as I stated previously all of these bills have 0 minutes of debate)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigpoppa

Keep in mind as I stated its not a conspiracy this is all fact and the legislation is real and the truth is as stated from their mouths that its to protect americas FINANCIAL and ECONOMIC interests. So its not like you need to read inbetween any lines just listen to what your own elected officials say its right there black and white AND YOU GET NOTHING!

I guess I just dont understand how you think that allowing corporate America control the flow of information in a democracy in order to keep the political climate favorable to profit taking isnt destroying our country.

You NEED information to make good decisions, about who to vote for, what your best interests are, what companies make your tennis shoes with slave labor, what companies are poisoning you with toxic waste.

Edit to add, and they arent protecting "Americas" financial and economic interests. They are protecting the financial and economic interests of what are mostly multinational corporations. America is made up of people. By the people, of the people, for the people. Not the multinational corporations.

Its called FASCISM when governments and corporations are one, and thats not what our Constitution ordered. So if we turn into a fascist state, by definition, our country is being destroyed. Even if it is stable the whole time it is being destroyed and the consumption continues, the people involved are treasonous to their country and her Constitution.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
With what I see happening in Wisconsin with the union busting. Once they get rid of unions there and THEY WILL get rid of them it will spread across the country. Seems like its part of the plan to use the kill switch to silence and monitor the internet for any blogs that supports unions and will shut them down.

I just heard of one woman who got busted for talking about how her students were annoying. She was anonymous yet it got leaked to the board at her school who she was. Im guessing it was TPB.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The government is using this switch designed to be able to at a moments notice shut down all social networking sites so the same thing that happened in Egypt that removed authority from power cant happen here in America. Proof of Facebooks role in the revolution can be seen in the following story. Today the leaders of America sit on a throne of lies having aligned themselves with corporate america and not the people of america whom they keep control over instead of the people controlling the government.

Egyptian Parents Name Child Facebook

A man in Egypt has named his newborn daughter "Facebook" in honor of the role the social media network played in bringing about a revolution, according to a new report.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
passing the bill admits guilt in TPTB controlling MSM propaganda as well as just creates another possible false flag, ie shutting the internet down then blaming a preselected scapegoat

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by tigpoppa

That was a great post. I hope part of it was saying that somehow we could bypass ISPs and have a freer net someday, somehow.

I did a quick search and saw this article on yahoo from 2009:
voices.yahoo.com... harge-free-3673082.html?cat=15

it's called NoCharge... anyone ever try it?
I looked further into it and it seems most of us can no longer use it:
www.all-free-isp.com...

Here's their official website: www.nocharge.com...

I wonder if there are other ways to get free internet... that would be awesome!

top topics

join