It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harted and Bigotry on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Amazing how a topic pointing out the tendencies for hatred and bigotry on this site has, within its first page, indications of hatred and bigotry.

Intolerance has a very wide playing field, so I'm sure many more examples of people, theologies and ideologies to despise can be pointed out, but rarely do we look in the mirror.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Its not hatred and bigotry, it is simply freedom of speech and personal oppinion.

2nd

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

Look I can respect, ehhh maybe tolerate is a better word, people's most hate filled bigoted speech, if they have the balls to say it to my face. No one has EVER said even a fraction of a percent of the things I read or hear people on line say (with no face to face contact). To me, it seems apparent that racism and bigotry are huge issues in the US, but it's the dirty little secret no one talks about, unless of course you can't identify them.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Yeah, sure... whatever floats your sense of priviledge.
The difference might be what you're willing to say in person or anonymously.

Freedom of speech does have some qualifyers, even in the US of A. This is why lawyers get rich in that country.

In the 'country' of ATS, stricter rules are in place (thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Divinity of choice).

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

So what happens when race or religion is absolutely relative to ones local or foriegn policy?

For example;

I am a nation empowered by God, what I do I do in Gods name and I need not justify my actions because they are the will of my maker and I answer to him/her and no other. I take what I want in Gods name, kill who I like in Gods name, imprison and torture who I like in Gods name.

Now, standing against this sort of mentality, is it bigotry? Is it religious intolerance? Where do you draw the line when someone wishes to hide behind race or religion and uses it to justify their actions? The way I see it is that it's nothing more than a tactic to silence those who choose to speak out about it by pinning a label on them and hoping that political correctness will sway the masses to defend said race/religion. Social engineering at its finest.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Yes, where do you draw the line,
there is a mega thread on the Catholic church, that might offend some Catholics, but I never heard anyone complain.

I am not Catholic BTW.
and what about the poor masons, everyone loves to hate the masons,

I am not a mason,BTW,

edit on 032828p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

Look I can respect, ehhh maybe tolerate is a better word, people's most hate filled bigoted speech, if they have the balls to say it to my face. No one has EVER said even a fraction of a percent of the things I read or hear people on line say (with no face to face contact). To me, it seems apparent that racism and bigotry are huge issues in the US, but it's the dirty little secret no one talks about, unless of course you can't identify them.

Man you are so right. It is a dirty little secret. I live in one of the largest cities in the US, it is also one of the southernmost cities as well as one of the most internationally diverse cities in the country. I feel extremely fortunate to have grown up here because we all seem to get along pretty well. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of bigotry, ignorance and hatred I find when I visit other places in the country.

Here on ATS though, people are more cunning and guarded in their bigoted beliefs and prejudices but it certainly shows up occasionally and it ain't pretty.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
recent example,

As I have argued in the OP, those who revere such a definition of a deity are likely to take on such characteristics themselves; if they are offended by being described as having the psychology of "petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freaks; vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleansers; misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bullies" then such offense is entirely intentional on my part; if the apologists for the Biblical deity are "offended" they may make arguments in defence of their deity and themselves, but to simply complain and whine about being described in such a way is rather petty and childish; it is simply not appropriate in the arena of intelligent debate.

Does he have a point?
edit on 042828p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Examples please?

You cant just come in here and state such things are happening unless you have proof of it happening here on this site.
You bring up the OJ incident? Really? reaching far with that one dont you think? That happened in what, 1992'? "Damn boy, you outta date".

Call me blind, but until you give me some facts and examples of what you are talking about, I will just think
that you are talking out of your rear.

If such acts occur, the mods are usually on top of it right away and do take action(this comming from a guy that has been post banned quite a few times).If anyone knows about Mods doing their job here, its me. They are usually right on top of it.

One more thing... Ever heard that saying "Those who smelt it, dealt it"?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
All fluffyness and political correctness aside.

It is not against the law to dislike, disagree with or even hate (yes HATE) a racial group, a religious group or any other group for that matter. This notion that it is sacriligeous and against the law to voice a negative opinion about anyone different than you is idiotic, unrealistic and only recently has such a notion been shown any real attention as fact.

Political correctness is a disease and it leads to intellectual dishonesty and a false sense of something which does not exist.

In a free society you are free to hate or dislike or disapprove of anyone you wish, and being a free individual in support of free thought I will defend to the death your right to feel the way you do.

All I ask is that you are able to state clearly and show reason as to WHY you feel the way you do.

And to those whining about racism or bigotry here on ATS, yes it is here but in far far less amount than any other web forum (try perusing Youtube and Yahoo comments if you want the real mccoy)...and I ask this......

Is it better to get resentments and true feelings out in the open so that they may be addressed and discussed and debated openly? Or is it better to outlaw these ideas and feelings and pretend they do not exist?

There is racism, religious bigotry, sexism, classism all over the world. It is a casualty of the human condition. But to stifle free speech and free discourse because you dont personally like what is being said is nothing short of oppressive.

Just my own $0.02

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I really don't have a problem with people criticizing any religion, I spent years critical of my own,
I think it is important that we have an open dialog as long as it is respectful.

Now racism is a different matter.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Voltaire said "Opinions have caused more ills than the plague or earthquakes on this little globe of ours"

Did he mean that we should never voice an opinion because of adverse consequences?...on the contrary he was a geat believer in freedom of speech, he was telling us 'we may not agree with what someone says, but they must have the right to say it.'

We do not have the right not to be offended in a democratic society.

The biggest haters imho come from the hard core religious believers of all religions.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I apologize for the error. I was on lunch and in a rush, I usually proof read and spell check but this time I didn’t, excuse me.

The word is HATRED

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom502
Most of the racism I see here is the extremist hate towards people of European ethnicity. And in religion, there is an extremist amount of support for radical Islam, and a hate against anyone that is critical of it. That's what I see most.

THIS gets my vote for unfounded generalising sweeping statement of 2011.

Do you actually read any threads on ats ?
I do , and there are
anti muslim brotherhood threads
anti muslim threads
anti immigration threads
threads asking why there is no white history month
threads about a possible genocide of white people.

I AM WHITE and in 32 years I have Never been persecuted for being white im sure non whites are though judging by some of you here .
At the end of the day guys its 2011 and we are stil divided by the same old issues .
In 2011 it is Wrong to generalise a whole race or religion .
You should only judge people by their Individual Behaviour .
Not evey asian is muslim- not every muslim is a terrorist .just like not every jew is a zionist .
IM a human 1st then white /english is just a label
love your fellow humans dont hate them .

edit on 17-2-2011 by Doomzilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I can understand your dislike for racism...but to say it is somehow wrong to take shots at religion seems strange to me...it is no different than taking shots at someone who thinks the moon is made of cream cheese, a belief that deserves to be challenged and perhaps ridiculed, nothing more nothing less. When people start mixing both racism and religion bashing i would also agree with your point, but i still think those people should be allowed to air their views for others to challenge.
edit on 17-2-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The philosopher Ken Wilber said that 70 percent of humans are of a Nazi mentality. I now think he is correct.

This guy on the thread about the unfortunate rape Lara Logan, the female reporter in Egypt, called “those people” Egyptians-- savages.

I went to work and saw an Egyptian fellow worker and thought about his humanity and decency and the stupid remark that “those people” were savages by a poster who indicts a whole race of people because a few have done a vicious crime is the very meaning of ignorance, hatred, and bigotry.

It is this attitude that incites the crime this guy condemns!

In this case the stupid hatred was of Jews. I doubt the poor lady was a Jew but it doesn’t matter.

When in the WORLD ARE WE GOING TO LEARN TO STOP HATING?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

There is nothing wrong with taking shots at religion. I have defended Islam on this site but I myself criticize fundamentalist religion. But one can criticize an ideology without demonizing a whole group, for that tends to spread hatred and misunderstanding.

I myself call Republican ideology anti-human. But I try not to condemn them to eternal hell. I criticize their philosophy not their race or religion.

I defend Islam but critique literalist religion as a low level of development; particularly the ones who distort the Jihad concept and indulge in sectarian violence. That kind of activity should be condemned.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Well, my dad (not original source) said "opinions are like ass holes and everybody has one"

Nothing personal intended just thought it was funny.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
The philosopher Ken Wilber said that 70 percent of humans are of a Nazi mentality. I now think he is correct.
When in the WORLD ARE WE GOING TO LEARN TO STOP HATING?

You had to ask the hard questions didn't you? When will we learn to stop hate?

There are several factors involved, each of which may be equally important.
1) The decline of the family unit, leaving children alone to grow up with little supervision.
2) The price of "civilized" society is the increasing alienation and frustration of individuals who are realizing that they have become expendable commodities. There has also been a sharp decline in financial stability among the middle class.
3) Everyone and particularly the young see no future with an increasingly unstable job market.
4) The media and government subtly promote friction between class, race and religion. Before 9/11 few Americans actively hated Muslims. And now?

Added together along with other factors leaves many of us angry and frustrated. Bigoted, racist remarks are one way of blowing off steam, a great deal of which aren't really meant.

As others have said the anonymity of the net is another reason we read so many hateful posts. If you put actual people together in a room very few would have the chutzpah to say the things they do online. When faced with real people we tend to get along much better looking for compromise rather than conflict.

Each new generation brings us one step farther away from blind prejudice until one fine day we'll all look and realize that it's gone. We're closer to that day than we think. I think our young people are far and away the most tolerant generation yet. We will make it.

As for the 70% nazi mentality? - it's true of nearly every group. Ordinary people giving power to the wrong group can have disastrous consequences regardless of race or nationality.
edit on 17-2-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

<< 1   >>

join