It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret commandos accidentally detained at Tim Hortons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Secret commandos accidentally detained at Tim Hortons

www.ctv.ca

A hankering for Tim Hortons after a hard day of training went horribly wrong for some of Canada's super-secret commandos, who wound up handcuffed and face down along a major highway.

The elite special-forces soldiers, travelling in a convoy of civilian vehicles, were pulled over in late 2009 along Highway 401 in southern Ontario after a panicked member of the public spotted the burly men at a coffee shop.

Ontario Provincial Police were called, though it's not clear whether it was because someone had spotted a weapon or some other reason.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
*facepalm*

How embarrassing...

Frankly I don't know who to blame for this mess. The JTF-2 operatives who should've been concealing their profession in a, how should I say, MORE PROFESSIONAL MATTER; the authorities not having better communication with themselves, at least so the police could tell the difference between a criminal and the JTF-2; or the civilian who should've just minded their own business (I bet he ran into some interesting encounters with "burly men" after this incident
).

And of course, this all happens at Tim Horton's. How stereotypical can it get?

JTF-2: Where getting a double-double means trouble, hehe

www.ctv.ca

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Ah, good old canadian humor. Reminds me of that commercial "Canadian winter care chase" where the cop and the guy he's chasing are both outside their cars trying to push to get moving.

Interesting find, glad to see how responsive our police are at arresting our own army.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Actually Canadian Elite Speciall Forces and my hat off to them if i had a hat,, responded in a beautifully Canadian way,, our police force is just better.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
This makes absolutely no sense to me. First off, WTF is a Tim Hortons? Is that a restaraunt, grocery store, bar, seriously? Second and most importantly, WTF is a JTF-2? Why would Canada need commandos, they don't start wars or invade other countries and its so damn cold there even the Russians don't see the point in fighting over it. Gotta hand it to them sneaky Canucks though, super-secrecy only goes so far when there's a hockey game on TV.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

Ya had to bring up hockey eh!! Well i remember the greatest series of hockey EVER which we won by the way,, nothing compairs,, but i remeber the hotel rooms and listning devices lol and #ty matresses but we still won .

Thank God,,,, great series though,,

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Tim Horton's is a coffee shop with real good coffee and pretty good food and donuts too.We got them in NY to.They're great if your into good coffee that ain't that starbucks crap.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Ahhh, yes......just another day at the "Tango Hotel." (yawn)
- copspeak for Tim Horton's

"Timmies", as we Canucks so lovingly call her, is the Canadian equivalent of the "Krispy Kreme" outlets in the U.S. - but our donuts are just a lil sweeter.

edit on 17-2-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: ugh

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

*facepalm*

How embarrassing...

Frankly I don't know who to blame for this mess. The JTF-2 operatives who should've been concealing their profession in a, how should I say, MORE PROFESSIONAL MATTER; the authorities not having better communication with themselves, at least so the police could tell the difference between a criminal and the JTF-2; or the civilian who should've just minded their own business (I bet he ran into some interesting encounters with "burly men" after this incident
).

www.ctv.ca

Should've just minded thier own business? Why the hell are you even here? Tell you what, never mind the motto of this website, you just go right ahead and embrace ignorance, just put on some Celine Dion, get a bottle of Merlot from the wine store, put your best silk undies on, and get real hot and close , with ignorance. Go for it.
Meantime, the rest of us will freely admit that any member of the public, in any nation who FAILS to report a sighting of unidentified, un uniformed, heavily armed, burly guys, out at large in public view is a bloody idiot. For all the civillian knew those guys could have been professional bank robbers, terrorists, assasins or any number of nefarious operatives! If that civillian had failed to mention to the authorities , the presence of the most dangerous looking group of fellas they have ever seen, and it had turned out that they had been involved in a mass murder event , or a multiple fatality officer involved shooting, then how would you view that civillian? Logicaly minded folk would see that civillian as perhaps the ONLY person who could have, with a simple call, prevented that outcome.
Theres no fair minded thinking that can point an accusing finger at this person for doing what amounts to thier civic duty.
However, there is most certainly a case for these special forces men to be re educated in terms of thier attitude to being at large amongst the public. While I understand that members of the special forces in Canada have permission to carry weapons and equipment in the nation, what I cannot understand is why, when there is no threat or reason, they should choose to excersize that permission in a way which would pose a clear threat to anyone not aware of thier profession.
Lunacy in its highest order.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I realise this is a bit of a light hearted thread, but i completely agree with TrueBrit here.

The last thing the member of the public, who spotted these guys (probably saw concealed weapons) or overheard them talking about an 'op' perhaps, would be to simply ignore it and keep quiet.

As TrueBrit says, what if they were planning a hit, a kidnap, a 'T' event, or even a plain old bank job?

Ignoring them and keeping quiet in those circumstances could have got someone killed.

As it turned out, it was just Army guys being less than discreet, but it might not have been.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Dumb cop!
dont they run the licence plats?
they would have come up goverment plates.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Meantime, the rest of us will freely admit that any member of the public, in any nation who FAILS to report a sighting of unidentified, un uniformed, heavily armed, burly guys, out at large in public view is a bloody idiot.

Well speak for yourself, in the great State of Idaho and many other states of the US like Texas and Montana among others that description describes a large part of the population just out and about.

You see most of us do not buy into the false media and government induced fear mongering of if we see someone is armed we should panic. We just figure they are honest citizens excising thier rights to self defense as all humans have a right to. If they aren't committing a crime or otherwise posing any threat, then minding your own business is good advice.

It is nice to be able to go to grocery star fully armed and open carry where no one bats an eye rather then have a bunch of paranoid sheeple call the cops over nothing...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Dumb cop!

Oh the irony!

Originally posted by buddha
dont they run the licence plats?
they would have come up goverment plates.

Not only did you not read the article... you apparently didn't even comprehend the small quoted portion in this very thread.

Here's a refresher... "in a convoy of civilian vehicles".

Yeah, "dumb cop". That's the ticket!

edit on 2/17/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by budaruskie

*sigh*
JTF-2 is the highly trained, heavily armed elite Counter-Terrorism unit of Canada. Make no mistake, regardless of their popularity amongst the public or your opinion of them/Canada, these guys are certainly not inferior to any western SF units like SAS/GSG9/KCT/SFOD-D etc.
Canada like virtually any other country on this planet needs (and has) its own CT unit and has used them in the past (Afghanistan, Bosnia, Iraq etc.).
do you think the USA is the only country having/needing such a unit?

I am glad that the police was notified and took consequent actions to assure the safety of the people.
This might as well been a foreign SF unit wanting to do harm instead of JTF-2 doing an exercise.
Kudos to the person who called it in.

I am also very happy to read that JTF-2 members behaved professionally and cooperated fully with civilian authorities, meaning they recognize and respect the rights of the Canadian people regardless of their own qualities and mindset- unlike a few other SF units in a neighboring country unfortunately.
Hats off to JTF-2!

IT--
edit on 17-2-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Big LOL
*cracks timmie, lights up, smiles*

The Mayor of the town I live in after placing a call and getting no response once , Drove out to Timmies on the highway where the police were having coffee....
as he saw on his way into town in the first place....
he was double pissed because we have a Timmies in town too and they chose to hang out out of town....

Considering the TERRORIST advertising telling everyone to rat out yout neigbour
if you see something "suspicious" BE TERRIFRIED!,
( like those paint ball people a couple years ago, it is no wonder some dummie phoned in....)
one also has to consider the possibilitie it was a quick joke...

Like whem the RCMP took delivevry of a patrol boat made at a local factory which was mostly staffed by dope smokers drunks and thieves ..ya know the usual,,,they left out a few laminations in the hull and the whole boat went down on the maiden cruise...

At least we know were to find the bulls after the trouble is fixed what ever it is....
Though I wouldn't sell any raw milk products or amish farm products that will bring em all over to your house for coffee....they won't allow competition for Timmies it seems

PS
I have nothing but respect for Canadians who serve
BUTT to those that serve themselves, like we see a lot of these days...
suckmybutt
move home.
edit on 17-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Meantime, the rest of us will freely admit that any member of the public, in any nation who FAILS to report a sighting of unidentified, un uniformed, heavily armed, burly guys, out at large in public view is a bloody idiot.

Well speak for yourself, in the great State of Idaho and many other states of the US like Texas and Montana among others that description describes a large part of the population just out and about.

I do not believe you read the article thoroughly. HEAVILY armed , is how the men are described. If they were wearing pistols at thier hips and no other weapons , then you would be closer to the mark with your comments. However, heavily armed suggests pistols, smgs, rifles, shotguns, and the possibility of grenades to me.

You see most of us do not buy into the false media and government induced fear mongering of if we see someone is armed we should panic. We just figure they are honest citizens excising thier rights to self defense as all humans have a right to. If they aren't committing a crime or otherwise posing any threat, then minding your own business is good advice.

Well thats all very well , and I appreciate your right to bare arms. But in Canada, no such right exists, or at least not in the same way, certianly not with regard to public carriage . I think hunting weapons are allowed but I believe there are some pretty tough rules about transporting such items. This means that the only people carrying weapons of any nature in public in Canada, are either cops, military , or armed sociopathic criminals intent on the destruction of a nations peace. In that scenario, its pretty important that any ununiformed men who appear to be in a position to start a war with what they have on them, are reported to the authorities with all due haste!

It is nice to be able to go to grocery star fully armed and open carry where no one bats an eye rather then have a bunch of paranoid sheeple call the cops over nothing...

Speaking as a celt, I would love to be able to wear a war axe at my back, and a broadsword at my hip,but I cant ,so I totaly understand the feeling that must inspire in you. But you are talking about taking a pistol into the store . You are not talking about going in there in flak armour, with a pistol on either hip, an M4 slung across your back, an automatic shotgun in your fists, and grenades strapped across your chest . That look will get you your nuts shot off on the way through the door most ANYWHERE.
edit on 17-2-2011 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2011 by TrueBrit because: Second edit, to alter the fact that I failed to fill out the reason for the first edit, an addition to a point that I failed to make in post. Sorry folks!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
good points True Brit
most Canadians prefer to go bare knuckle
like the waitress I workd with that knocked out a punk with her tray and took his gun and then phoned the cops to come get it and him

guns aren't all they are cracked up to be
neither are the people that carry them.

PS
thats little old 65 year old waiteress to all you tough guys out there.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
good points True Brit
most Canadians prefer to go bare knuckle
like the waitress I workd with that knocked out a punk with her tray and took his gun and then phoned the cops to come get it and him

guns aren't all they are cracked up to be
neither are the people that carry them.

PS
thats little old 65 year old waiteress to all you tough guys out there.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in that establishment. Although if the waitresses are capable of neutralising an armed threat, I reckon a fly would not survive long enough to witness such events !
I fully understand the point the Southern gentleman above us made about the right to bare arms in public, but I also feel that guns are over rated , and as weapons of defense, I personaly prefer swords and axes. Its very hard to create a collateral damage situation when the weapon has a limited range, but its all too common for someone to get accidentaly fragged with a firearm.
Its all a bit beyond the point though. The fellows in this case, were armed beyond mere public carriage, hence thier being described as heavily armed. As hardcore as your waitress friend must surely be, I think if such weapons were bought to bare, she would be sensible enough to get the hell to cover, and call the police !

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Now this is hilarious!

Had to happen at a Timmy-hoes too!

I have a friend that was in the PPCLI 1st battalion for ten years and is now in The Joint Task Force. Wears the full beard also. Part of the reason why I'm lol'ing so hard.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I do not believe you read the article thoroughly. HEAVILY armed , is how the men are described. If they were wearing pistols at thier hips and no other weapons , then you would be closer to the mark with your comments. However, heavily armed suggests pistols, smgs, rifles, shotguns, and the possibility of grenades to me.

Hey, heavily armed in Canada is equipping yourself with a 22 cal pistol. Lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join