It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Test your internet security, post results:

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yea i like the new firefox 4 browser in beta stages, i will wait till the fresh release comes out and I will install it on my Vista system, ie upgrade from 3.6 to it

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Thanx warbird. I was afraid that I might have done something wrong for a moment. Anyhow, the link worked.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Underworlds because: Original message not pasted into editor correctly.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I think that my system might be safe....

When I first entered the site I got this message (note that I intentionally removed IP addresses from the quotes below):

Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS
Many Internet connection IP addresses are associated with a DNS machine name. (But yours is not.) The presence of "Reverse DNS", which allows the machine name to be retrieved from the IP address, can represent a privacy and possible security concern for Internet consumers since it may uniquely and persistently identify your Internet account — and therefore you — and may disclose other information, such as your geographic location.

When present, reverse DNS is supported by Internet service providers. But no such lookups are possible with your current Internet connection address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). That's generally a good thing.

When I clicked File Sharing:

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Preliminary Internet connection refused!
This is extremely favorable for your system's overall Windows File and Printer Sharing security. Most Windows systems, with the Network Neighborhood installed, hold the NetBIOS port 139 wide open to solicit connections from all passing traffic. Either this system has closed this usually-open port, or some equipment or software such as a "firewall" is preventing external connection and has firmly closed the dangerous port 139 to all passersby. (Congratulations!)

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

And the Port Scan returned:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2011-02-17 at 05:15:02

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
103 Ports Closed
953 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Ok. I will begin by saying that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, when it comes to internet security. I am protected. I just don't know much about some of it.

On the 1st list on the pop up tests, the very 1st one, 'multi-popup' test, It says 10. None popped up, but Firefox only told me that it stopped 6 of them. I didn't see the other 4, but I also do not know where they went.

Same with the 'floating popup.' and the 'Floating Banner' I don't see one, but Firefox is not telling me that it stopped anything either. So maybe I'm just passing these with a D+ grade, and the others Im getting an A on??

The only definite 100% fails I had, from the 1st page(popuptest), were the 'Sticky popup' and 'Dropdown popup"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 'Popup Check,' Firefox told me about all of the one's it stopped. Passed all except, 'Popup Stopper Test (floating)'

And then we get down to the last group of "Good Popups." I'm not sure what's so dam good about them, because I failed every one of those.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for part 3, the Firewall Test, I think I need a translator.

Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS

Many Internet connection IP addresses are associated with a DNS machine name. (But yours is not.) The presence of "Reverse DNS", which allows the machine name to be retrieved from the IP address, can represent a privacy and possible security concern for Internet consumers since it may uniquely and persistently identify your Internet account — and therefore you — and may disclose other information, such as your geographic location.

When present, reverse DNS is supported by Internet service providers. But no such lookups are possible with your current Internet connection address (##edited out by me##). That's generally a good thing.

I think I am good there?
I don't know for sure. I think it's telling me that someone could track me if I had Reverse DNS, but since I do not, then it's all good. I think.
The "generally a good thing," comment at the end kind of throws me off. To me, that word 'generally,' means that it might not always be a good thing.

I did not plan on writing a book here.
Sorry. There is one site in particular that I have been having problems with popups lately.
I'm going to look for the 'Adblock Plus' as soon as I post this. Hopefully that will help me. Overall, as long as the firewall test result is a good thing, I don't think I am too bad off, but please tell me if you think I need help.

thx

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Anyone using Chrome, you might want to check this out.

www.srware.net...

It's basically Chrome minus all the google spying

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

You may need to update your firefox to the latest version to enable its full blocking effects. What version are you using?

You didnt do the firewall test properly therefore I cant say if you are protected. You have to go the the link, then in the upper top panel click services, then shields up, then proceed, and then, all service ports.

If it still doenst work use this alternative site:
www.pcflank.com...

You can chose and select from stealth test, trojans test, and advanced test
Usually test those three and report back.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Firefox 3.6.13
and yeah. i clicked services, then shields up, but not proceed.

1056 ports, all came up as green/stealth, but apparently I pinged them back and failed.

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

not even close to stealthy

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

No pop-ups ever on my machine. If I were to even see one, I would freak out! Haven't seen one since I left M$ and started running Linux. On the Shields-Up test, here are my results:

Your Connection to Our Web Server is Probably 'Proxied' What's a 'Proxy' ? A 'Proxy' is an intermediate computer that 'intercepts' a request made for an Internet resource, then reissues that request on behalf of the intercepted computer. For example — as happened here just now — your computer's web browser requested a resource (this page) from the grc.com web site. But your browser's request was intercepted by a 'transparent' intermediate proxying computer — probably belonging to your Internet service provider. That proxying computer, in turn, forwarded the request to grc.com's web server. Our security testing technology detected that this was happening and responded to the proxy with this special 'intercept' page so that the proxy would, in turn, return it to your web browser. Because none of this is usually very important for normal web surfing, such proxies are termed 'transparent'. But the problem is that they are not transparent enough to allow reliable security testing. Since we were connected to the proxy, rather than to your computer, we are unable to accurately analyze the security of your computer's connection to the Internet. (We could tell you all about the proxy's security, but that's a subject for another page.) Internet service providers often use proxies to improve the subjective performance of their network for their customers. By locally storing copies of often-requested web resources (like all the various bits and pieces of Amazon's web site) web pages assemble much more quickly. Most people are never aware of their existence. The ShieldsUP! system incorporates technology designed to circumvent many common web browser proxies so that most of our visitors never encounter this special interception page. This built-in circumvention technology is one of several reasons why ShieldsUP!'s tests are often more accurate than other web-based online security tests. However, in this case, it appears that our automatic proxy circumvention system has failed to determine your machine's true IP address, so the results of further tests would not be trustworthy. The worrisome header contained in your request is: Via: 113.234.22.240 The presence of this header is indicative of an intermediate proxy, as discussed above. We are unable to bypass this proxy, since even your browser's secure SSL connections are being intercepted. If you are able to disable your browser's use of this proxy we'll be able to check your system, but until then we are unable to proceed.

I use a simple University Proxy Server. In Firefox, go to Preferences/Advanced/Network and click "settings." Select Automatic Proxy Configuration URL," and type this into the box: proxy.duke.edu...
Works great, no slow downs as with some proxies. BTW, my operating system is Fedora 14 Gnome with I-Tables Firewall.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I think only one failure in one port doesn't mean you failed. GRC website takes it to the extreme. I think my router is doing all the work for me. I think (im no security expert) that since all your ports are stealth you should be ok.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Told me the same thing and I run a plain old free windows firewall and the free microsoft security essentials...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

yeah. it said i passed as stealth. I just failed at TruStealth. It said there should be a setting in my firewall, where I can change it to not bounce the ping back. Something like that anyways. I looked and couldn't find where to change that setting, but I didn't look for very long. I'll look again later.

thanks

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Yea like I said I'm no expert, im just a hobbyist, Im not sure how you would change that setting..

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

On one of my routers it's called "WAN Ping Blocking" you could try looking for that setting.

Edit: It could also be called something like "Block ICMP Ping"
edit on 17-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Freaking hell...I decided to go to my favorite bar to end up making out with some chick.....instead of talking bout IT security here...Anyhoo. Yea I tested my stuff on vista 64 bit, and same results. It seems that my router is doing all the firewall work, but I didnt set up the firewall, but it's working so no complaints.

As a side note this is for HOME, i repeat, home, security, not while you are browsing in a public cafe, which is subject to man in the middle attacks using software such as cain and abel. Once again, this is home internet browsing, public browsing is a whole nother topic.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stupe
reply to post by watchitburn

Told me the same thing and I run a plain old free windows firewall and the free microsoft security essentials...

Hey, I work on Computers for a supplementary income. Of course most everyone wants Windows back on their PC. I have been installing those free Microsoft Security Essentials, instead of Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm firewall, and I have yet from one to come back. I am happy that M$ finally has come up with some free security that actually works, but still wish everyone would download and run Linux. Linux is better is so many ways. The few customers whom I have installed it for, one Fedora 14 KDE, one PC Linux OS KDE, both love it, and will no doubt never come back with problems.
Linux fixes them only too good.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

If DirectX and most games ran natively on Linux I would be tempted to permanently switch, except if it caused Linux to be used more then it would be targeted more too and you'd essentially be back at square one

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Things that are obscured from view are much more interesting than things in plain sight
just sayin
Hardware trumps software every day

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by reticlevision

Except hardware's useless without the software to go with it. Can't use just one.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Linux comes with about 150 games. Why do you need more? Computers are not for games, either, they are for research. Why pay all that money to play games? Buy an X-Box instead. This is why kids are so dumb anymore, all the do is play games, and never research anything. I have two step sons. The oldest, 13 always wants to play games. The youngest, an Indigo Child with a 140 IQ, always wants to look stuff up, and research things. The 13 year old can hardly read. He's also brainwashed by Christians down the road, who let him play on their X-Box.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Well I keep my Vista Machine primarily for gaming, I play BF2 on it. I am so good at flying the dual seat attack helicopter that I can switch seats from pilot to gunner and launch a TV guided missle and be able to take down a plane with my helicopter while my heli is pilotless. Now thats skill haha, pwnage lol. Plus you cant guide a TV missle on an xbox, that requires precise, exacting control. The controllers are not optimized for such fine control.

But I had a XP SP3 laptop and now i just installed linux on it and I use it for being outside of the house for security reasons for instance at a internet cafe or something because I know how to stop man in the middle attacks, and I wanted to primarily learn a new operating system.
edit on 20-2-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join