It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Police Start Using Undercover Taxi Drivers!!!! Big Brother Takes Many Forms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Wow! This is the first I have ever heard of this. Apparently this video was first posted about a year ago on YouTube.

Has anyone ever heard about this? How can this be legal? This just confirms the Police State that we are living in. They will go to whatever measures they choose to continue to bring revenue in to the citys and state.

As unnerving as it is to see blue lights flashing in your rear view, seeing the blue lights emanate from a yellow cab operating undercover as an NYPD cruiser seems less so.Some might even find it exciting to be pulled over by a cop car disguised as a taxi. And obviously, if you see a taxi with lights flashing and a siren sound—two burly white men in the front seats—you can safely assume it is an undercover police car. But what other ways can you tell?

nyctheblog

edit on 15-2-2011 by Moose318 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If it aint marked PIG, I don't dig...
If it aint marked cop, I don't stop...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I drove taxis for a while and i always thought that it was like being a cop ,except being a cop was safer with better pay.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
first i've heard of it, but doesn't surprise me(ever seen "taxi cab confessions"?). the whole "big brother" kind of thing does go waaaay the hell too far, but i think that's a presumption here because i think it's used in the "catching street criminals" instead of a "watching over you" sort of thing in this case, and a part of me realizes the need for undercover police. taxi cabs is going too far, though i don't really see a reason for NYPD to track every new york citizens go-abouts in the first place, or why they'd need to. i'd have to see how many criminals it actually stops, how many they catch and whatnot before i actually came to a decision on the matter.

as far as it's legality i'm sure there's something you could trump up against it, but this itself doesn't invade privacy laws on the face of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Moose318

When I read the headline I thought cops were posing as taxis drivers, picking people up and somehow finding out information to arrest the person they picked up.

I don't think this is too police-state spooky considering cops and the FBI drive unmarked cars and trucks all the time. At least taxis are the same type of car as most cops, it's hard to distinguish at night.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

That's pretty funny!

Though I do have to say, that knowing people who want them dead or refer to them as derogatory terms such as "pig", "bacon", "slime" or worse are out there...I highly doubt cops feel safe,even with a taser, gun and nightstick. I know I wouldn't.
While I do believe that there's a case for entrapment if they are using the undercover taxi's for simple traffic violations, I think the largest issue is that for people like me, I wouldn't initially stop for a taxi even if there were flashing lights...In a day and age where more and more violent criminals impersonate police officers, pulling over for anything but a clearly marked police cruiser proves highly dangerous.
I am in no way saying that it is entrapment or not, just that there's a possible case that could use an actual hearing.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
First you've ever heard of this. ive had an encounter with one. 4 years ago. told me i was gonna go to jail for a year cause he caught me with weed. i seriously thought he was some cool cabby and wanted a little pot. freakin cop told me he was gonna let me go though...

at the time i didn't think it was weird. but now that i think about it, the cop seemed psycho a bit.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moose318
Has anyone ever heard about this?

Yes. When I lived in Manhattan, I saw "Yellow Cops" quite often. It's relatively well-known within the city.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Saw one for the first time tonight on Broadway between 52nd and 51st. Anyhoo this cop was really mad for some reason, he was screaming and yelling at the cabbie for a very long time before he pulled him over to the side to write the ticket.

top topics

join