It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this be Hell?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I want to start by saying this is not necessarily my opinion, but i found myself wondering this during a conversationabout religion. I brought this point up and it was met with disgust.

In many religious traditions, Hell is a place of suffering and punishment in the afterlife, often in the underworld.

There is so much suffering in our world. Even the rich and famous complain that there lives are rubbish because they have no privacy and they are nearly all involved in a scandal at some point in their career. We have millions of people still living in poverty and suffering. Even the President of the United States cannot leave his home for a walk for risk of being assasinated.

You have celebrities who everybody thinks live in a cushy beautiful world that is perfect. These are the same people who have so many body guards and panic rooms installed into their homes because of the death threats they no doubt recieve. Every aspect of life you look there are more people unhappy than happy.

The constant growing number of depressed people is alarming. The anger that the general public seem to feel for the simplest of things.

I would say there are more people on this planet unhappy with their lives than happy.

This isn't a sob story and I am by no means looking for sympathy but my life isn't perfect. I live with and care for my parents. My father who has Cystic Fybrosis and my mother suffers with Bipolar, my life is incredibly stressful as I am also working full time to try and keep us under a roof. I am 23 and were also caring for them as a teenager. My older brother couldn't cope with it and moved out when he was 14. My sister tried but is a very talented girl and i did not want anything to affect her schooling because her interlectual talent deserved more so i took on the role myself. I didn't do great at school and so the job iI have to support my parents isn't a great one.

I am the caring type. Im always the first to help anybody in need. Im polite and I always try and see the best in people but i feel like I'm being punished which brings me to wonder if I am indeed in hell. I know I am not the only one with problems but I try to be a good human being and so I can't understand why some of us have the lives we do.

The worst part of all of it is that I hate my life but I feel awful for feeling like that because I realise that because I know there are so many millions of people in a worse off position than me.

So I put it to you. Is this Hell? The constant paranoia of a terrorist attack. The constant threat of war. The global economic meltdown that is incurring. Where ever you look there is something to be worried about. What sort of life and existence is this?

Please if you think I am an Idiot or you think this is a crap thread, don't abuse or leave sarcastic comments. Just view the next thread. Thanks

Hope this is in the correct place Mods, sorry if not.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

Hell is whatever you or any individual imagines it to be. i.e thought manifests reality.

Instead of concentrating on the negative side of things, try looking at the positive side of things everything has an equal in order to balance it out.

Try this:

Write down on a piece of paper 5 things that have gone right for you in your life, then write down another 5 things that are going right for you at this time (it could be anything like a person giving you a smile to finding some money on the street) anything that fills you with a little happiness. Lastly write down 10 things that you want to go right for you. After you have done this look at what you have written and think about these things, keep the piece of paper with you at all times in order to use as a guide when feeling a little down add to it each time you feel something good comes your way. You will be amazed at how quickly the positives outweigh the negatives.

As for the constant threat of evil invading your world. Go outside of your house find a park or a place where nature is around you put on a pair of sunglasses and close your eyes and listen What you are hearing is what I call 'the sound of life' remember this sound when you are down, take great comfort in knowing that nature is your friend and can be a true salvation when times are hard.

Relaxing really is the key to understanding and what better way to do it than to sit with nature and simply 'exist'

edit on 15-2-2011 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

Interesting point of view there OP, the Gnostics actually thought that our world is created by Satan, all in this materialistic world of ours needs to be destroyed according to them.

Also the Gnostics said that the Earth is probably Hell, people don't see it but when you read the "holy texts" it describes a place of suffering and pain to me they are clearly pointing at our world today.

And about organized religions today, the Gnostics have despised them because the Gnostics believed that those religions don't know who the true God is instead it is Satan that they are worshipping. The views of the Gnostics are very possible given all the contradictions given in all those "holy" books.

If you want to know more you can start by reading here.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

hell has many forms for the relative human beeing!

I would love to be like this :
DD Sound (La Bionda) - 1234 Gimme some more
www.youtube.com...
edit on 15-2-2011 by leaualorin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jexmo

The constant growing number of depressed people is alarming. The anger that the general public seem to feel for the simplest of things.

I would say there are more people on this planet unhappy with their lives than happy.

Here is why www.abovetopsecret.com...

This video answers that question by revealing how everyday people can transform into crazed animals who trample other human beings in order to get what they want. A shocking video that reveals a part of human nature that society tries to keep caged.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

I will try this. I don't want to sound like the typical world is against me type but wherever i seem to look there is pain and suffering. We are surrounded by it. I will definitely try what you said. I work in quite a remote part of the countryside so I will definitely take a stroll on my lunch. That is definitely something in life I do enjoy.

reply to post by Lateralussicksicksick

Its things like these which just inflame my interest in this subject. I will read your link now. I think there is a lot of deception in religion. A lot of it is very cloudy and I for one am completely unsure of where I stand and who I should pray to. I haven't found God. Perhaps I haven't been looking hard enough.

I found what you said about Satan maybe being the real God extremely interesting, because perhaps that would explain why the world is the way it is today. Do you think that people in general know enough about other religions before they start to follow a specific one?

reply to post by leaualorin

Your positivity is quite infectious. Your link sure did put a smile on my face lol

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do find this subject incredibly interesting in my dull life so what you have al said is definitely food for thought, but nobody answered my question directly
(In their opinion obviously.)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

If this life on earth was Hell then there would be no good here.

I commend you for taking care of your family. I know it can be an almost insurmountable situation at times and feels like it could not get any worse.

What you are going through will pass. You are learning valuable things about yourself and life in general.

These experiences can make you stronger.

I know it is very hard for you right now. But know that good things are going to happen for you during your life on earth.

You can stumble on the rocky ground or you can pick up the rocks and use them as building stones for a better life.

Keep your body and mind active and in good health so you can enjoy the good times that are coming to you.

Be good to yourself.

May God bless and keep you in His arms.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly my point. I know its so obvious and so impossible but if we all had the same attitide and were all selfless. It would be a much better exisence. I know that sounds like I am preaching now but it's true.

This will never happen though because there is too much, 'evil'. (for want of a better word.)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Better question for me ... is this reality?

I vote yes, and I don't worry who made it. I just be the best I totally can be (and I'm pretty awesome!)

The rest will sort itself out.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

You are a very wise person and I will definitely take that on board. Thanku c

I have heard the argument that you make your own luck, and positivity is the key...and even people telling me that karma will look those who treat people well and live life the right way. Whats to say anyway of living is the right/wrong way? Perhaps one persons hell is anothers heaven because there is suffering but also on the other hand, like Pinke , there is great happiness and self satisfaction.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
No...this is not Hell. Hell is devoid of any pleasures.

I don't know where you live or much of your circumstance, but in 47 years, life has it's ups and downs...sounds like you are in the down part for now.

There are just as many good people as there are bad...I hope you get to meet some of them.

Life is often a struggle...trust me, my life has been full of pain, heartache, desperation, people telling me lies, telling me they no longer want me or love me,...

But there have always been as many that do love me, were willing to offer any sort of help, support, hospitality.

And look at the world around us...how beautiful a snow fall, or a sunrise, or the joy of seeing an animal born...or something as simple as the many golden colors glistening in the morning sun up in the Smoky Mtns.... or hearing my roosters crowing as I drink a cup of coffee early on a winter morning... or watch a little child just giggling up a storm as a little puppy keeps licking there face....

No, this is not Hell...this is life...sometimes good, sometimes bad...but always worthy of the experience.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There's a lot in this world that can be put straight. There is noone who doesn't deserve to be saved, as weird as it may sound, and it does. The world is in chaos. Satan rules the earth. Everybody deserves the basic things in life. Many come short. This should be fixed. Or lifes standards are too high and we can go through with less.

I don't think its hell and it is very good you are caring OP.

The world is in chaos. There are those that need to care. We are caring enough for eachother. Howcome we have shortcomings??

It is time for us to pray.

I don't know what to say.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

I've always believed in the balance of everything.
I do believe in Karma... I see it happen all the time.
For instance yesterday a friend of mine threw a snow ball at my back as we were about to enter the convenience store.
I barely even noticed, I just turned around and he was laughing...
He opened the door and got a load of water dropped on his head.
I believe you have to observe as what some would refer to as the "Tao or sometimes Chi"
Its just the way.
Observe life.
Observe existence.
Observe the formula that is... society.
Read the Tao Te Ching.
Then after that... read it again and go over every page..(Pages are short in text.)
Then observe the balance of everything and why things happen...
Though I will totally admit to you... You have to actually believe in it sometimes...
Sometimes you can feel when something is going to happen just because of your constant observance.

edit on 15-2-2011 by tribaltrip because: Added text

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Karma can be a dangerous and problematic idea. I'm not saying there isn't a way to reconcile it with reality somehow, but at least consider the following. Karma can be, and has been, used to justify extreme social inequality and medievalistic power structures. "You are poor and miserable because of something bad you did. Keep hauling bricks for the Shogun's summer castle and perhaps someday you too will be born as a wealthy and thus innately morally elevated man of power."

I can't stand the stench of this line of reasoning, and it has a long and dark pedigree in both Asia and Europe. It represents the weakest link in Buddhist doctrine and was used to legitimate countless despotic regimes through the millennia. In the West, this odious theology takes many forms but is no less present. Examples include the Divine Right of Kings doctrine, Calvinist ideas of The Elect and wealth as a sign of virtue, so-called "prosperity theology," the raving of extremists like Rushdoony, and even cruder manifestations of "blame the victim" public thought, crass ambient status anxiety permiating pop culture, and so on. Always unpleasant to see this strain gain acceptance.

edit on 2/15/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Those who suffer in this world, that is their lot. Those who enjoy pleasures, that is their lot. At any time, one may find that their destiny is not to suffer forever - their sufferings may be alleviated. At any time, one may find that their destiny is not to enjoy pleasure forever - their enjoyments may be abrogated. This is the way of the world, which is neither heaven nor hell, which is both heaven and hell.

Imagine two globes. One is black, and hot. The other is cool, and white. They are permeable globes, so that when you press them together, they merge into one another. However, they never completely overlay one another. At one pole of the combined globe, one can still see a glimmer of pure white. At the other pole, one can still see an inkling of pure black. In between are all the grades of grays that are conceivable.

At the equator of this globe is an eternal maelstrom of colours, every colour imagined and not yet imagined. It is caused by the rotation of the two constitutive globes. Both of them rotate in a clockwise manner but, since each is positioned as the inverse of the other, their rotational forces meet and conflict at the equator.

At some points in history, this storm consumes the whole world save the poles; it is a roiling planet of thriving life. At other points, this storm reaches a lull, and the planet slumbers.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

As long as there is unspeakable cruelty and unjust suffering I cannot be happy, no matter how good I have it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
You're definitely not an idiot. Far from it. You just have some challenges to face, and it's hard. You're doing your best, and sometimes it can be overwhelming, can't it? The first thing a person facing a hard time needs to remember, and perhaps it's the most important thing, as hard as it is to do, or as selfish as it might feel, is to take time, make time, or steal time to recharge, sleep, eat, play, or just be. If you neglect this (yourself), you are no good to anyone else.

During trying times in your own life, focus on what you can immediately effect and control, starting with yourself and working outward as you are able. Don't let what others have or do not have rob you or your energy or influence your wants and needs. Define those for yourself. Don't worry about the rest, as sad as it makes you or as much as you want to help, you have to focus and get strong from the inside out before you can be of benefit to them. Have empathy, but temper it. If there's no focus and no balance, life really does become hell.

As for whether this is hell? For some people it clearly is. For others it is heaven. That's just the way I've always thought of it, though I lean more toward the thinking that we're here to learn and to help others learn lessons so that we can move on to the next level, whatever that may be, whether it's simply inside ourselves or not.

Peace.
edit on 2/19/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What ever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.
Popeye punching bag

There is no good or evil only thinking makes it so.
Shakespeare
gotta love the Bard(s)

do whatever though wilst shall be the whole of the law
the beast AC

all quotes aproximate
edit on 19-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
You're far too negative OP. Things are obviously going okay for you - you have the internet for a start.

Anyway if you hate your life just do drugs or something. Either that or man up and deal with it. One thing that is guaranteed to not solve your problems is moaning about them on the internet: get more hobbies, like sports or something if you don't do it already.

No, Earth is not Hell. It's just Earth. Home.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Justsomeguyhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If this is hell, then hell isn't bad at all. Sure, there are a few things that aren't perfect, but it is pretty tolerable. Not much of a punishment actually.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join