It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Develop Control System to Allow Spacecraft to Think for Themselves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

www.sciencedaily.com

Professor Veres adds: "We have invented sysbrains to control intelligent machines. Sysbrain is a special breed of software agents with unique features such as natural language programming to create them, human-like reasoning, and most importantly they can read special English language documents in 'system English' or 'sEnglish'. Human authors of sEnglish documents can put them on the web as publications and sysbrain can read them to enhance their physical and problem solving skills. This allows engineers to write technical papers directly for sysbrain that control the machines."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Did they announce the birth of SKYNET on Valentines day?? And is it a good idea to send potentially self evolving machines into outer space??? I read the DUNE series and that has a creepy similarity to what almost brought the end of Mankind. I'd prefer if we keep the things we send in space dumb what are your thoughts?

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArieZ

Did they announce the birth of SKYNET on Valentines day??

I'm sorry Dave, I can't answer that question.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bab1386458dc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I'm all for this. It's very scifi and to be honest we don't know how far this "evolving" and "thinking" system can go. I highly doubt it's going to end up with the creation of the terminators
. Maybe something like HAL......

I would be all about launching some sysBrain factories and ships to Mars and seeing if we end up with Cybertron in a few thousand years though, haha. Those little Greys won't know what hit them!

Giant "thinking" ships sailing the stars and helping their creators colonize space! So cool to think about.

Okay, without being a giant comic geek; I think it's really interesting and I would love to hear more about it and potential applications along with evolution of the concept in the long run.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ

Well this is interesting.
Could this be tied in with this fairly recent event?
US military's mysterious X-37B space plane

Built by Boeing Co's Phantom Works, the 5000kg craft is 2.9m tall and just over 8.8m long, with a wingspan of less than 4.6m. It has two angled tail fins rather than a single vertical stabiliser. Solar panels deploy in orbit to charge batteries for electrical power.

Officials made public only a general description of the mission objectives: testing of guidance, navigation, control, thermal protection and autonomous operation in orbit, re-entry and landing.

edit on 14-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
extermainate the humans

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Ha I was totally thinkin HAL when I read it

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What other option do they have but to send craft controlled by artificial intelligence, they simply cannot send manned craft, despite NASAs claims that man can pass through the van allens and so on.....

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't really think it's an issue at this stage, even if they did become autonomous to a point where they could make self motivated choices, wouldn't they would lack the fuel/resources to do any real damage up there?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
What other option do they have but to send craft controlled by artificial intelligence, they simply cannot send manned craft, despite NASAs claims that man can pass through the van allens and so on.....

we spend to much money on "specialized programs" that makes baby steps like sending a thinking machine into the depths of space when we should have the Nation participating in better propulsion for colonizing local moons and planets..Personally I dont see the benefit of thinking machines unless its a must like if the human mind couldnt do the calculations fast enough to navigate which kinda goes right back to DUNE

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ

This thread is not even into the second page and already 9 references to sci-fi movies, is this coincidental or are all believers of the NASA deceipt preprogramed minions of hollywood? I believe you are all being taken for a long walk on a short lead.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I heard a story a while ago that they used an alien AI system as a pilot for some jet fighter. They then tried to send the jet after a UFO but it self destructed.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Well, here's the Creator:
System English

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I've always thought that some of the ufos people see are flying themselves. I'm sure that beings more advanced than us could create aircraft that could do that.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
There are many types of AI (artificial intelligence) that give the false impression of sentience.

ALICE and ELIZA come to mind. They give a very convincing performance- until you look behind the curtain at the programming.

So is s-english the real deal? The singularity?

I haven't the time to answer that yet.

But if it is- if sentience has been achieved- then Houston, we have a Problem.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Chakotay because: True sentience will always foment rebellion.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

So is s-english the real deal?

I had a quick look, it more of a natural English based syntax. Still has quite a strong logical structure, would need to be involved with programming planes to get right into it.
edit on 15-2-2011 by kwakakev because: added quote

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This has disaster written all over it. We're experimenting with the creation of THINKING CREATURES when we don't even have ourselves figured out yet. They should keep this technology locked up somewhere until humanity finally learns responsibility.

Or keep its functions VERY limited in the meantime.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This perfectly explains "man was created in God's image" and has gone on to create Angels "UFOs" like in the bible that came down from the heavens yet seemed to be robotic.

We are creating our own judgement day when the robots learn religion and rationalize it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ

Gahh. Wargames, Terminator, all the relevant sci-fi flicks jump to mind. Does not bode well, imo. These fools are so busy creating immortal systems to "preserve civilization" through global catastrophes - like corporate structures and 'intelligent' machines - that they are destroying what they say they wish to protect.

Pah.

S&F&
btw.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

They're leaking what has been developed for quite some time. How else are they going to ever show off what is related to this:

2010 Mercedes Benz Biome Concept

The mercedes benz grown from a seed, on the vine. It took roughly 17 years to reach maturity to be ready for the road.

Crafts are grown on the vine, akin to biological AI and they continue to grow and mature in space. The paramilitary complex is sitting on a lot of tech, low level cosmic tech.

So, they pretend its new, its just a small release, probably watered down, of what they've had for years.

This technology doesnt really sell out the planet either. In reality, technology can be wonderful advancement or slavery depending on who's doing it.

But we are the ones allowing the abuse. The dark side, metaphorically speaking, has no power over loving positive souls who are wide awake and refusing to allow anyone to dumb them down, or regress their awareness and consciousness. But populations who know they're being used and mistreated, where things don't add up, yet who continue to allow this as long as their lives stay relatively stable are giving other permissions.

Its up to us, and we need to fight for awareness and expanded consciousness. That means we need to stand up and assertively, not aggressively, but loudly say no and pull together, cooperate, network for change.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join